KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Why is American High School Education like American Sport generally so poor?

Why is American High School Education like American Sport generally so poor?
Started by: Putinbot1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Putinbot1
We have no VP or Ps. My direct chain of command is answerable only to the owner. I am the Boss. So no, no you wouldn't.

Yes I would. First line of business would be to eliminate lazy and unproductive employees like you. Especially ones that do not know what a meta-analysis is.

I'd put you on a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan) that would be achievable by any normal person but you'd figure out a way to bungle that, too, in 3 months, no doubt.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 07:50 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Originally posted by SquallX
The **** is going on?

Putinbot1 is lying to make himself seem more important than he actually is and ddm is having fun calling him on it.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 07:53 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
Yes I would. First line of business would be to eliminate lazy and unproductive employees like you. Especially ones that do not know what a meta-analysis is.

I'd put you on a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan) that would be achievable by any normal person but you'd figure out a way to bungle that, too, in 3 months, no doubt.
Trust me you wouldn't in my field I am very respected and rightly so. I have people to deal with PIP's etc. Seriously if you are as high up as you say, why are you doing the job of HR?

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 07:54 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Or you could just do what Pootybutt's company does and just ship him from one 3rd world shit hole country to the next.

Originally posted by Silent Master
Putinbot1 is lying to make himself seem more important than he actually is and ddm is having fun calling him on it.

Gee...YA THINK!?

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 07:55 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Or you could just do what Pootybutt's company does and just ship him from one 3rd world shit hole country to the next.

Gee...YA THINK!?
Nah, I think something else, but you know... smile

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 07:57 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Trust me you wouldn't in my field I am very respected and rightly so.

Okay, I'll trust you. But you just admitted on this forum, which could be used against you for "grounds for termination" that you don't do work.

I have people to deal with PIP's etc. Seriously if you are as high up as you say, why are you doing the job of HR?

You should have direct employees. You are the HRM for your direct reports. If HR is writing your PIPs, you're either too incompetent to do your job properly so they just do it (I've seen this happen, before, and it is usually the sign that you're getting a case built against you to terminate you), or you work in an organization where a managerial title means nothing. Based on the fact that there are no VPs or C-Levels between you and the owner, it points to it being a very small organization.

But we shouldn't dig deeper. It's not okay and I think we are crossing a line that I don't want to cross. Apologies for taking it this far. It no longer feels amusing to me.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 07:58 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Okay, I'll trust you. But you just admitted on this forum, which could be used against you for "grounds for termination" that you don't do work.

You should have direct employees. You are the HRM for your direct reports. If HR is writing your PIPs, you're either too incompetent to do your job properly so they just do it (I've seen this happen, before, and it is usually the sign that you're getting a case built against you to terminate you), or you work in an organization where a managerial title means nothing. Based on the fact that there are no VPs or C-Levels between you and the owner, it points to it being a very small organization.

But we shouldn't dig deeper. It's not okay and I think we are crossing a line that I don't want to cross. Apologies for taking it this far. It no longer feels amusing to me.
I certainly wouldn't write PIP's and no one should if they are in charge, they should be dealing with the customer and deciding on policy. We will have to disagree on that, I think only a small company would have anyone in charge dealing with day to day employee tasks. That's my opinion. I suspect we are in very different situations, I feel reading yours mine is more privileged, well I know it is, I'm not in IT. I admit I trade off my Britishness to amuse Fly and yes, this is starting to leave a nasty taste in my mouth too. Have a good day.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 08:05 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Kurk
So you possess much market value I assume? After all, the entire point of higher education is to gain market value so that you can make a return on your investment spent on hefty tuition costs. For example, choosing to pursue a degree in philosophy, english, or liberal arts over, say, electrical engineering would be incredibly asinine since it's extremely unlikely you'll ever make back the tuition spent on a "hobby" degree—which in the eyes of an employer means nothing.

Of course I know you wouldn't have made such a foolish mistake since you seem to hold yourself in high regard on these forums smile .
Answer the question, Putinbot1

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 08:05 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I certainly wouldn't write PIP's and no one should if they are in charge, they should be dealing with the customer and deciding on policy. We will have to disagree on that, I think only a small company would have anyone in charge dealing with day to day employee tasks. That's my opinion. I suspect we are in very different situations, I feel reading yours mine is more privileged, well I know it is, I'm not in IT. I admit I trade off my Britishness to amuse Fly and yes, this is starting to leave a nasty taste in my mouth too. Have a good day.

Let's go away from job-specific things and then just focus on Work Culture and best practices.

I have employed many British Nationals before working managing government contracts. I can even take it a step further and tell you that many of the American Corporate policies actually come from the tried and true methods that the British already figured out. Americans shit on the British but the British are a bit ahead of the Americans when it comes to best practices and corporate policies.

Generally, how it is structured, the Direct Manager handles all HRM activities with their employees. Often, HR will be involved in helping guide a DM on how to deliver a PIP but it is up to the DM to deliver the PIP, not HR. HR processes paperwork from the DMs. They establish the framework within which managers operate. Hiring, terminations, benefits, recruitment, annual and mid-year reviews. All fall within HR. However, the arms of HR are the DMs. They do the reviews, they do the PIPs, they complete the terminations. Not HR.

You may get your PIP form from HR but HR never delivers it.

All of this goes out the window at very small organizations.

Has your experience over the decades differed from this? I am almost positive this HRM structure comes from an amalgamation of British and American practices over the last 30 or so years.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 08:14 PM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Let's go away from job-specific things and then just focus on Work Culture and best practices.

I have employed many British Nationals before working managing government contracts. I can even take it a step further and tell you that many of the American Corporate policies actually come from the tried and true methods that the British already figured out. Americans shit on the British but the British are a bit ahead of the Americans when it comes to best practices and corporate policies.

Generally, how it is structured, the Direct Manager handles all HRM activities with their employees. Often, HR will be involved in helping guide a DM on how to deliver a PIP but it is up to the DM to deliver the PIP, not HR. HR processes paperwork from the DMs. They establish the framework within which managers operate. Hiring, terminations, benefits, recruitment, annual and mid-year reviews. All fall within HR. However, the arms of HR are the DMs. They do the reviews, they do the PIPs, they complete the terminations. Not HR.

You may get your PIP form from HR but HR never delivers it.

All of this goes out the window at very small organizations.

Has your experience over the decades differed from this? I am almost positive this HRM structure comes from an amalgamation of British and American practices over the last 30 or so years.

It actually depends on the company, to be honest, my job is much more about dealing with the customer and actual delivery. HR is really in most UK companies something to support middle managers who do all the performance related stuff. As I say the last 5 years I have worked for Royalty and dealt with people as diverse as banking families, BAE systems and Aramco. Tbh, I do not get involved in HR and employee management at all anymore, it's not my job.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 08:30 PM
dadudemon

It actually depends on the company, to be honest, my job is much more about dealing with the customer and actual delivery. HR is really in most UK companies something to support middle managers who do all the performance related stuff. As I say the last 5 years I have worked for Royalty and dealt with people as diverse as banking families, BAE systems and Aramco. Tbh, I do not get involved in HR and employee management at all anymore, it's not my job.

thumb up

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 08:46 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is what Putinbot1 thinks makes him hot shit? Working as a human resources person?

I serve as a human resources exec myself for a volunteer organization. It literally takes no skill. Anyone who has two brain cells to rub together can do it.

That plus I'm a full time student majoring in biochem & comp sci. Give me a ****ing break you dweebs. You have little to no market value.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 08:48 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is what Putinbot1 thinks makes him hot shit? Working as a human resources person?

I serve as a human resources exec myself for a volunteer organization. It literally takes no skill. Anyone who has two brain cells to rub together can do it.

That plus I'm a full time student majoring in biochem & comp sci. Give me a ****ing break you dweebs. You have little to no market value.
Can you read? I have nothing to do with HR, except they work for me and I have never and would never work in HR. Not that I have anything against anyone who does.

Last edited by Putinbot1 on Apr 9th, 2018 at 09:01 PM

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 08:58 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Can you read? I have nothing to do with HR, except they work for me and I have never and would never work in HR. Not that I have anything against anyone who does.
So what makes you so valuable on the free market?

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 09:12 PM
Scribble

Is a human's worth calculated entirely by their 'market value'? If so, that's incredibly depressing. I'm glad I don't see the world that way.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 09:13 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scribble
Is a human's worth calculated entirely by their 'market value'? If so, that's incredibly depressing. I'm glad I don't see the world that way.
The kid is a kid Scribble; he understands nothing.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 09:20 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

I'm not sure if this is why but a lot of Americans have an irrational disliking of standardized testing despite all the literature on its accuracy (with a few exceptions).

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 10:13 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

A lot of Americans are anti-intellectual on principal and are more inclined towards charter/private schools.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 10:19 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

I don't think charter/private schools are common enough to explain the alleged gap.

Funnily enough, it seems likely that America has the highest population of extremely talented people (maybe behind China/India due to sheer population), probably because of skilled immigration.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 10:54 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

The kid is a kid Scribble; he understands nothing.
Not an argument, kiddo. Try again.
Originally posted by Nephthys
A lot of Americans are anti-intellectual on principal and are more inclined towards charter/private schools.

I went to a private high-school known for pumping out multiple IVY league matriculates, Merit scholars, etc each year. Not sure what you mean by private/charters being an issue.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 01:24 AM