KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Why is American High School Education like American Sport generally so poor?

Why is American High School Education like American Sport generally so poor?
Started by: Putinbot1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
A lot of Americans are anti-intellectual on principal and are more inclined towards charter/private schools.

You really have an anti-hardon for "charter schools" when they only make up 6% of all public schools:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-idUSKCN1B22JX

"On average, the majority of charter schools do no better or worse than traditional public schools."

"On average, nationally, students in 17 percent of charter schools performed significantly better than if they had attended their neighborhood traditional public school."

http://www.data-first.org/questions...nt-performance/

quote:
As our research project at The Alumni reveals, the alumni of the big charter networks including KIPP, Uncommon Schools and YES Prep are earning four-year degrees at rates as high as five times as their counterparts in traditional schools. Even the lower performing networks produce college graduates at twice the rate.

Nationally, only 9 percent of the students growing up in families in the lowest income quartile end up with college degrees (compared to nearly 80 percent of the students from the high income families) by age 24. And yet in places such as Uncommon Schools in Newark, the North Star Academy Charter School draws students from that city’s high poverty neighborhoods and turns half of them into earners of four-year college degrees. At KIPP Public Charter Schools in New York, 46 percent earn those degrees. At YES Prep in Houston, 47 percent end up with four-year degrees within six years of leaving a YES Prep high school.

Even more compelling: Based on the current crop of alumni from these networks moving through college, it appears those rates will only rise. According to the school’s data, a record number of their alumni are on track to graduate within four years, pushing the six-year mark, the usual way of measuring college success, into even higher territory.

The civil rights implications here are profound. No other kind of intervention to help marginalized students has succeeded at these kinds of rates.

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-bl...college-success

Now, for me, this is quite personal. As I grew up with this "lowest income quartile" people. They were mostly black. Some Native American. Some Hispanic. So when I see amazing success like this, it gets me thinking.

But when I see clear regurgitated talking points from people like you who are clearly just parroting bullshit from the left without even doing a tiny bit a research, it looks like it needs to be corrected quick fast and in a hurry. Not all schools are like KIPP and YES. Not at all. And some of these schools are rejecting special needs students.

And it is well-known that Private Schools routinely outperform public schools in the US.

Also, most of your knowledge hating 'mericans do not want to send their children to private schools nor can they afford them. You send them to private schools because you have money and you want them to get the best education possible. For example, atheists will send their children to catholic school, just because the private catholic school is the 'best around.' These are not the 'mericans that you are lambasting.

Summary:

Charter Schools: not this demon you keep making it out to be. Not perfect. But some networks are performing absurdly better than their public school counterparts WHILE reaching and improving the educational attainments of the lowest quartile of American children.

Private Schools: No idea what your problem is with these. It's well-known that private schoolers outperform public schoolers.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 02:40 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

..... I was offering an explanation for why some Americans are disinclined towards standardised testing, which I believe charter and private schools aren't as required to use. :I

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 03:57 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

..... I was offering an explanation for why some Americans are disinclined towards standardised testing, which I believe charter and private schools aren't as required to use. :I

Oh, it was the second time you mentioned charter schools in a not-so-friendly manner.

Please forgive me, Nephy-poo? Pleeease? I'm sorry. sad

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 04:17 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

(please log in to view the image)

No.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 04:41 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

No.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 04:58 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 05:07 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Education beyond a certain point is probably the most important for the smartest people in society, and America still has a really large set of outlier talents, thanks largely to its highly attractive high-end immigration policy. Hopefully Trump doesn't nerf that.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 11:12 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Sadly it is the OVER Reliance on The Regulation of Education that is killing off lots of opportunities to seek out education. You are no longer just paying for an education. You are paying off Corrupt Educational Unions and the Leftist Politicians that use said unions as their own mafia thugs.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 06:01 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote