KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Role Playing games

Role Playing games
Started by: Putinbot1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Nib, give me a quick breakdown of the world you built? Sounds fascinating to do that. We always played in a set/standard D&D world.

Didn’t really have a “world” built til a bit later in the campaign (when I got a lot better at my storytelling). It was mostly “generic dnd world with standard characters fighting generic monsters for loot” at the start.

I started introducing unique world elements when I had to expand the world as their characters got stronger. And the world evolved as we played it and I added new towns/cities/dungeons/landmarks.

Best I could explain it is that the world only had a thin veil separating the prime material plane from the rest of the outer planes. Meaning that monsters were everywhere and the cities/towns/villages had to implement some very solid defenses to protect themselves (the party started off as a band of mercs hired by a town to defend it from constant monster attack).

Midway thru the campaign, the big bad came to their town and wrecked it (and them) after I’ve slowly built up rumors of a war going on (but they didn’t care as they were not affected). Thru the earlier years of the campaign, they’ve formed attachments to the town and its people. Wanted them to really hate the baddy so I gave then a good reason to by basically wiping out years of npc relationships/storylines by destroying the town and killing most everyone in it. Other than that, I killed one of the PCs for good (allowed him to reroll a new char with boosted levels plus some items so he wouldn’t be too behind), took half of their magic items (yes, they got plundered by the baddy). They woke up in another town saved by the mayor and some ppl who managed to escape. There were def tears that day but I felt at the time that they needed to be very emotionally invested.

Long story short. Big bad was a god who managed to pierce the veil between planes and wanted to turn the world into a giant node where he can bring in his armies to invade the prime material plane. PCs had to stop him by building their strength and gathering artifacts from several planes that they access via “rips”. Once they were strong enough, they gathered the artifacts, got together with the last remnant of resistance vs the big bad (major cities and races formed alliances to take stop his armies) and the campaign became one big war where they did missions (like taking down a flying citadel) to weaken the big bad’s armies and take out his officers. Etc etc (won’t bore you with any more details on how the rest of the campaign went as I’ve realized that this isn’t exactly the “quick rundown” you requested and it gets pretty predictable from here lol).

Let’s not get into the names I picked tho. They are pretty cringe-y taken outside the context of my language so I’d rather not share lol.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 07:55 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Played Shadowrun every Sunday for quite a few years, a bit of D&D too. We took it in turns to be GM/DM, (we just called it running a game) so that we all had 3 or 4 characters in different games. Still play about once a month or so, mostly at this point to justify drinking 80 beers between us.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 09:05 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

As a young teen my friends and I made up our own starships and crew (all there was was ST:TOS so we had a lot of leeway for original stuff). We made props, like weapons, from balsa wood and pieces of plastic or whatever looked good.

Sometimes we had 'adventures' on a planet (think undeveloped plot of land or less-trafficked part of a park + a lot of imagination). Sometimes we'd have it in one of our basements. We did our best to make it look like a bridge (like laying a doorscreen sideways on a table --> 'viewing screen'). Whoever's house it was in, he was the captain.

'Roleplaying'. Heh. Back then it was called make-believe.
We've legitimized it. rock

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 09:40 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Nibedicus
Didn’t really have a “world” built til a bit later in the campaign (when I got a lot better at my storytelling). It was mostly “generic dnd world with standard characters fighting generic monsters for loot” at the start.

I started introducing unique world elements when I had to expand the world as their characters got stronger. And the world evolved as we played it and I added new towns/cities/dungeons/landmarks.

Best I could explain it is that the world only had a thin veil separating the prime material plane from the rest of the outer planes. Meaning that monsters were everywhere and the cities/towns/villages had to implement some very solid defenses to protect themselves (the party started off as a band of mercs hired by a town to defend it from constant monster attack).

Midway thru the campaign, the big bad came to their town and wrecked it (and them) after I’ve slowly built up rumors of a war going on (but they didn’t care as they were not affected). Thru the earlier years of the campaign, they’ve formed attachments to the town and its people. Wanted them to really hate the baddy so I gave then a good reason to by basically wiping out years of npc relationships/storylines by destroying the town and killing most everyone in it. Other than that, I killed one of the PCs for good (allowed him to reroll a new char with boosted levels plus some items so he wouldn’t be too behind), took half of their magic items (yes, they got plundered by the baddy). They woke up in another town saved by the mayor and some ppl who managed to escape. There were def tears that day but I felt at the time that they needed to be very emotionally invested.

Long story short. Big bad was a god who managed to pierce the veil between planes and wanted to turn the world into a giant node where he can bring in his armies to invade the prime material plane. PCs had to stop him by building their strength and gathering artifacts from several planes that they access via “rips”. Once they were strong enough, they gathered the artifacts, got together with the last remnant of resistance vs the big bad (major cities and races formed alliances to take stop his armies) and the campaign became one big war where they did missions (like taking down a flying citadel) to weaken the big bad’s armies and take out his officers. Etc etc (won’t bore you with any more details on how the rest of the campaign went as I’ve realized that this isn’t exactly the “quick rundown” you requested and it gets pretty predictable from here lol).

Let’s not get into the names I picked tho. They are pretty cringe-y taken outside the context of my language so I’d rather not share lol.

Oh, come on. Now you have to share those names.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 09:47 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Roleplaying games are probably my favorite video games these days. Particularly offline solo ones like Witcher 3, Skyrim or the Mass Effect series. I do enjoy online ones too, I've been playing World of Warcraft on and off since the game was released, and I've dabbled in other MMORPG's too, Final Fantasy 14 and a few others.

I've played tabletop RPG's a bit too, but not a ton.

The roleplaying games I enjoy the most are the ones that suspend my disbelief and where I really get sucked into the world and want to learn more about it and really get immersed in it.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 09:57 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Originally posted by Robtard
Oh, come on. Now you have to share those names.

Nah man! I’m takin those names to the grave. stick out tongue

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 02:19 AM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Geez, what a bunch of ....

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 06:03 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Says the guy on a web forum... for nerds.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 09:14 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BackFire
Roleplaying games are probably my favorite video games these days. Particularly offline solo ones like Witcher 3, Skyrim or the Mass Effect series. I do enjoy online ones too, I've been playing World of Warcraft on and off since the game was released, and I've dabbled in other MMORPG's too, Final Fantasy 14 and a few others.

I've played tabletop RPG's a bit too, but not a ton.

The roleplaying games I enjoy the most are the ones that suspend my disbelief and where I really get sucked into the world and want to learn more about it and really get immersed in it.
Is Sky Rim, you know... ATM?

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 09:46 AM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Putinbot1
Is Sky Rim, you know... ATM?

Nah, it's giving and/or receiving a rim-job on a flying airplane. It's part of the "Mile High Club".

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 04:15 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote