KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » We're pretty good

We're pretty good
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist
The Shadow

We're pretty good

Given all of the often legitimate criticisms of the direction society is headed, can we at least admit that, by almost every objective metric, we are astronomically better off than we've ever been in history?

Whether you're looking at life expectancy, GDP per capita, human rights proliferation, literacy rates, corruption rates, rates of violence, etc., we are either in the middle or the start of a golden age.

Last edited by The Ellimist on Apr 24th, 2018 at 06:57 PM

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 06:53 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Who's "we"?

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 06:54 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kurk
Who's "we"?

I guess only humans, since factory farming is a thing. Or not only us, depending on a bunch of factors.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 06:57 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Re: We're pretty good

Originally posted by The Ellimist
Given all of the often legitimate criticisms of the direction society is headed, can we at least admit that, by almost every objective metric, we are astronomically better off than we've ever been in history?

Whether you're looking at life expectancy, GDP per capita, human rights proliferation, literacy rates, corruption rates, rates of violence, etc., we are either in the middle or the start of a golden age.

By the metrics you listed yes.

Culturally, that's a different story, I think the culture itself is decaying even while we make advancements in technology and economic production.

And in terms of human rights, freedom of speech is being erroded in the rest of the west, the UK in particular.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 06:59 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

When do you think we were at our peak culturally?

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 07:03 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

When do you think we were at our peak culturally?

Idk, maybe the first decade of the 21st century...?

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 07:06 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Interestingly enough many would argue factory farming tied humans to a specific lifestyle where we had to "work" and lost a lot of our freedoms. Some would also argue it restricted our diet and we were as domesticated by the crops we farmed as they were by us. They would also argue they tied us to communal societies and hierarchies. It's all interesting stuff.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 07:15 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

not while you’re around

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 07:16 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by Emperordmb
lmao

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 07:17 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

And could you tell us why you believe that is; knowing fully well you may be influenced by your Texan background?

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 07:26 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Absolutely.

Doesn't mean we still can't improve and need to improve, but we're doing better than we ever have as a whole.

Social Media is a problem though, not sure we've had that kind of oesonal disconnect in such large masses before.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 07:29 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: We're pretty good

Originally posted by Robtard
Absolutely.

Doesn't mean we still can't improve and need to improve, but we're doing better than we ever have as a whole.

Social Media is a problem though, not sure we've had that kind of oesonal disconnect in such large masses before.
Agreed, I also think something weird is happening to our youth due to the internet and rolepaying they now obsess about cartoon tweens instead of real women. Instead of having a modern equivalent of a Debbie harry poster at the end of there bed they wank off to pictures of Raven from the teen titans. ****ing ridiculous tbh.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 07:33 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Don't Worry about it. You Leftist Fascists are dong everything you can to get rid of Free Speech. That should solve your "Social Media" Problems up nicely.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 07:43 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Putinbot1
Agreed, I also think something weird is happening to our youth due to the internet and rolepaying they now obsess about cartoon tweens instead of real women. Instead of having a modern equivalent of a Debbie harry poster at the end of there bed they wank off to pictures of Raven from the teen titans. ****ing ridiculous tbh.
When I was a late-late teen it was Christina Applegate, Jennifer Anistan, Alyssa Milano and Monica Bellucci, sure I watched cartoons as well, but I wasn't touching myself to them.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 07:44 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

You're kind of right.

1. Rapes are down.
2. Violence is down.
3. Homicides are down.
4. Property theft is down.
5. Your mom is down.
6. War deaths (absolute and per capita) are down.
7. Infant mortality is down.
8. Standard of living is up.
9. Education is up.
10. And life expectancy is up.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 07:45 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Re: We're pretty good

Originally posted by dadudemon
You're kind of right.

1. Rapes are down.
2. Violence is down.
3. Homicides are down.
4. Property theft is down.
5. Your mom is down.
6. War deaths (absolute and per capita) are down.
7. Infant mortality is down.
8. Standard of living is up.
9. Education is up.
10. And life expectancy is up.

No. 5 seems like it doesn't belong

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 07:46 PM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Ah, so when people were oppressed based on their sexual orientation?

Gotcha.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 08:00 PM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Rockydonovang

Gotcha.

I didn't say that's what was good about it, and you and I have had conversations before where I've flat out said I don't have a problem with homosexuality.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 08:02 PM
SquallX

Originally posted by Rockydonovang

Gotcha.

He never said it was perfect.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 08:03 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

I didn't say that's what was good about it, and you and I have had conversations before where I've flat out said I don't have a problem with homosexuality.

I never said you were homophobic. It just seems to me your selectively remembering the good things from the good old days due to nolstalgia.

That the main issues you have with American culture don't involve legal oppression speaks volumes of how much we've progressed.

Last edited by Rockydonovang on Apr 24th, 2018 at 08:10 PM

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 08:08 PM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote