KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Money vs. Power

Money vs. Power
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Money vs. Power

Which do you value more and why?

Old Post Apr 29th, 2018 10:19 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Can you have power without money?

Old Post Apr 29th, 2018 10:22 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oooh good one.

I'd take money over political power any day of the week. Elon Musk and Bill Gates have arguably accomplished (or can accomplish) more than any politician for the betterment of humankind.

Now if you're talking about power for powers sake (like I become a powerful sith lord overnight) I'd prefer it only so I can seize whatever means needed through force.

Money = Power, but Power /= Money.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Apr 29th, 2018 10:40 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kurk
Oooh good one.

I'd take money over political power any day of the week. Elon Musk and Bill Gates have arguably accomplished (or can accomplish) more than any politician for the betterment of humankind.

Now if you're talking about power for powers sake (like I become a powerful sith lord overnight) I'd prefer it only so I can seize whatever means needed through force.

Money = Power, but Power /= Money.

Can you name a single person who rose to power without money?

Old Post Apr 29th, 2018 11:21 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Originally posted by Surtur
Can you name a single person who rose to power without money?

Something of interest is that you can gain "power" through social media outlets temporarily like David Hogg without money.

What do you mean by power?

The power to influence? The power to make things change when you want them to? Does this power allow said person to not be impacted by laws or social values of a society so they are above all?

What's power in this discussion, money is defined by its name.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2018 11:33 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by snowdragon
Something of interest is that you can gain "power" through social media outlets temporarily like David Hogg without money.

What do you mean by power?

The power to influence? The power to make things change when you want them to? Does this power allow said person to not be impacted by laws or social values of a society so they are above all?

What's power in this discussion, money is defined by its name.

That's temporary power though. Yeah, social media can give dipshits their 15 minutes of fame.

This douches latest boycott failed cuz nobody cares anymore. That's not real power lol.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2018 11:37 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

I'd say power honestly, though the two are often the same thing.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Apr 29th, 2018 11:41 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's honestly impossible to say.

Money allows you to go to the road to power. It allows you to go into higher and higher levels of society, get more and more influence, more and more tools.

Power gives you easy opportunities to get money. It allows you to get money off the thing you hold in your power.

When you disconnect them entirely, although it's possible only in an academic discourse - money allows you the better lifestyle, gives you more security in case of life tragedy; power gives you social standing, accomplishments. (disconnecting how money leads to power and vice versa) Then it's just a matter of taste.

They are angry because they have been forced to recognize that their hour has arrived; that the time has come to surrender power to Shimrra and the new order."

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 12:07 AM
JKBart is currently offline Click here to Send JKBart a Private Message Find more posts by JKBart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Define "power."

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 12:26 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Define "power."

Power is the ability to influence and/or command people.

Bernie Sanders has power but not *that* much money. A random hedge fund manager has more money but relatively less power. Trump has lots of both.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 01:26 AM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Define "power."

Power is Money, and Money is Power.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 01:53 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

^ they're correlated but not identical. President Obama didn't have as much personal money as Ray Dalio, but was certainly more powerful.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 02:02 AM
Flyattractor

But Obama had BIG MONEY Backing Him.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 02:07 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

They're quite related, but if you're talking about them in "equivalent" amounts I would imagine that power is more desirable for most people.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 02:07 AM
SunRazer is currently offline Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by Surtur
Can you have power without money?

Chief Justice Roberts has a net worth of about 6 million dollars. There are lots of random bankers worth more than that, yet Roberts is certainly more powerful than almost all of them by virtue of being able to hand down court decisions, which doesn't really rely on his personal wealth. I suppose you could say that it ultimately ties back to the wealth of the United States backing him, but that's an imperfect measurement: medieval England could not build an aircraft carrier even if you gave it unlimited money. Some things you can improve with money, but gradually and in confluence with other factors.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 02:09 AM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Either is a tool than can be used to gain more of the other. It simply depends on the ambitions of the person.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 02:17 AM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

@Elm — It ties back to the military being beholden to the government and thus capable of enforcing decisions if necessary. That implicit threat forces compliance with decisions.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 02:19 AM
SunRazer is currently offline Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by SunRazer
@Elm — It ties back to the military being beholden to the government and thus capable of enforcing decisions if necessary. That implicit threat forces compliance with decisions.

Is that how your Government in your country?

Cause that isn't how the Gov in the U.S does things.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 02:21 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Neither the legislature's passed legislation nor the courts' decisions have any significance outside of our heads unless they can be physically enforced, and that's not done by tooth fairies. So that's exactly how the US government does things.

Case in point: the Little Rock Nine incident. Or the Whiskey Rebellion.

Last edited by SunRazer on Apr 30th, 2018 at 02:32 AM

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 02:28 AM
Flyattractor

I don't recall seeing Tanks and Armed Soldiers on every street corner in Modern U.S. Is that how it works in Far, far away...?

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 02:35 AM