KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Money vs. Power

Money vs. Power
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by samhain
I think I'd find it easier to gather a fortune from any position of power I found myself in than I would trying to become more influential by using money from a lottery win for example.

That's because lottery money is "small change" by power broker standards.

If you can turn those winnings into a perpetual revenue machine for the right people/groups, that's how you gather power.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 10th, 2018 01:22 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

I'd want want money. You might not have influence over as many people with money as you would holding something like a high level executive position within the US government, but money gives you a much more direct and extensive level of control over those you do hold influence over. So if I have to choose between Bill Gate's fortune and the position of POTUS, I'm picking the fortune every time. I'd buy an Island, buy 1,000 or so families from a few poor countries, and live the rest of my life like a God King in a palace with a few dozen concubines. I mean how much more power does one really need?

Last edited by darthgoober on May 11th, 2018 at 02:35 AM

Old Post May 11th, 2018 02:32 AM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

There's the old cliche that money can't buy you happiness, which is true to an extent. However, the more money you have, the more freedom of choice you can afford.

Think of how much money we make each year, and how much of that is spent just on necessities, like housing, food, utilities, transportation, medicine, and medical care. Most people can barely afford to survive, nevermind pursue their passions in life or travel.

Also, think of how much of our lives we spend in school, going to work, and everything in between. People always say that time is money, but I see it the other way around. With enough money, you can do pretty much whatever you want, when you want to do it. That certainly is much more appealing than working our lives away at mundane 40-hour+/week jobs, or careers that don't quite live up to what we expected them to be.

Last edited by Eternal Idol on May 11th, 2018 at 09:02 AM

Old Post May 11th, 2018 08:54 AM
Eternal Idol is currently offline Click here to Send Eternal Idol a Private Message Find more posts by Eternal Idol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
That's because lottery money is "small change" by power broker standards.

If you can turn those winnings into a perpetual revenue machine for the right people/groups, that's how you gather power.

I just used lottery win as a simple way to explain a sudden windfall of millions. The real point I was trying to make is that it's harder nowadays to convert a sudden windfall into power as the establishment has this old money/new money thing going on now.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post May 11th, 2018 10:59 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote