KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » How does the Mad Titan fit in the super villain pantheon?

How does the Mad Titan fit in the super villain pantheon?
Started by: Josh_Alexander

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bentley
Seitei

quote: (post)
Originally posted by operator616
We're arguing different points. Your problem with this is relatability. Which has nothing to do with being justifiable (realism), or at least not in the context im arguing for. Thanos' motivations are not relatable to you so you want a better motivation for the sake of better story telling, i completely understand where you're coming from. So this becomes a matter of pure subjectivity at this point.

I wouldn't say it's relatability actually. I don't care about Thanos beinng relatable or not (it's better if we understand what he wants, but that's a fraction of what motivations need to be), I don't think he should necessarily fit a mentality that people would identify with. I think his goals and motivations should make for a richer storytelling.

Yes, I was under the impression we are not exactly arguing about the same thing since my last reply.

Eh, i remember it specifically being described that Kang's motivation for conquering other eras and entire galaxies, in fact, is solely because of thrill seeking. So you could just as easily say he has a compulsive fixation for thrill seeking. Conquest and becoming a legend is a by-product of that obsession with thrill seeking.

Nah, that's just lowering Kang to the level of some Batman villain. He has actually shown several times that Conguest and risk are not the essence of what he does, he often goes against his own nature for his higher purposes. But Kang has been writen in a lot of ways and by lots of people, so I get why you would have that impression.

Kang literally enslaves trillions of people for his thrill seeking motivations, but he does get a pass, right? Because apparently, that's not "twisted" at all.

I don't care about the morality of the characters, it's all about the potential of tales and situations they bring up. There is a lot of potential to build from Kang's motivation and background, by your own admission he has trillions of enemies out there... Or does he also have adorators in those numbers? Is he always the Invader or at times the Liberator?

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post May 2nd, 2018 12:31 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Thanos is probably the best MCU villain to date. Other good ones include Killmonger, Obadiah Stane, Red Skull, Loki, brainwashed Winter Soldier, Zemo and Vulture to name a few. Ultron is also good (not as good or as fleshed out as I wanted but still pretty good).

Anyway, it won't matter because when the MCU finally released Dr. Doom, he'll be the best wink

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post May 2nd, 2018 02:46 PM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
Thanos is probably the best MCU villain to date. Other good ones include Killmonger, Obadiah Stane, Red Skull, Loki, brainwashed Winter Soldier, Zemo and Vulture to name a few. Ultron is also good (not as good or as fleshed out as I wanted but still pretty good).

Anyway, it won't matter because when the MCU finally released Dr. Doom, he'll be the best wink

Is just that you can't compare Doom with Thanos. Not really.

Is like comparing the Joker with Darkseid.

Doom is the intellectual and evil-hatred villain. Thanos is pure death, he just loves killing and conquering. Though MCU Thanos is much different than Comics Thanos.

Old Post May 2nd, 2018 03:17 PM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
Is just that you can't compare Doom with Thanos. Not really.

Is like comparing the Joker with Darkseid.

Doom is the intellectual and evil-hatred villain. Thanos is pure death, he just loves killing and conquering. Though MCU Thanos is much different than Comics Thanos.
No, Joker is nothing like Darkseid. You can compare Doom and Thanos in the comics however. They are alike in MANY ways.

1. Supremely intelligent
2. Super Powerful
3. Resourceful
4. Speech patterns somewhat similar
5. Both act in mysterious ways. Have both played Hero and villain when the mood suits them.
6. Oh, and they look badass (that's important wink )

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post May 2nd, 2018 03:45 PM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
No, Joker is nothing like Darkseid. You can compare Doom and Thanos in the comics however. They are alike in MANY ways.

1. Supremely intelligent
2. Super Powerful
3. Resourceful
4. Speech patterns somewhat similar
5. Both act in mysterious ways. Have both played Hero and villain when the mood suits them.
6. Oh, and they look badass (that's important wink )

Agree. But characterwise they are different.

Doom is more like the evil dude whose constantly looking to surpass the heroes. He's also got an obsession with Reed just like Joker has an obsession with Batman. Doom is the cheater and is always looking for ways to outsmart his opponents.

Thanos is just the Mad Titan. He aint bad because he wants to surpass someone, or cause he hates Earth and it's heroes. He is just bad. He just enjoys killing and massive genocide. He loves Mistress Death and everything (Or at least) he does is due to her. Thanos is just insane.

Old Post May 2nd, 2018 04:00 PM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Doom is more like the evil dude whose constantly looking to surpass the heroes. He's also got an obsession with Reed just like Joker has an obsession with Batman. Doom is the cheater and is always looking for ways to outsmart his opponents.

Thanos is just the Mad Titan. He aint bad because he wants to surpass someone, or cause he hates Earth and it's heroes. He is just bad. He just enjoys killing and massive genocide. He loves Mistress Death and everything (Or at least) he does is due to her. Thanos is just insane.

Thanos really is Doom's intellectual superior due to him actually being able to live with the fact Reed will always be smarter than both thumb up

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post May 2nd, 2018 06:44 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Originally posted by Bentley
Thanos really is Doom's intellectual superior due to him actually being able to live with the fact Reed will always be smarter than both thumb up
Meh. Reed is a dude. Doom is a MAN. It's like Iron Man had a baby with Doctor Strange....wait this is starting to get weird....

Old Post May 2nd, 2018 10:08 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Greatest villain of all time. Bar none.

Old Post May 2nd, 2018 11:48 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

I wouldn't say Doom is a cheater. There's been plenty of moments where he could have decisively beaten every hero against him and won the story but didn't because it was too easy or beneath him in some way. Dooms entire character revolves around his arrogance. He knows that he is the smartest and most capable being in the multiverse. He talks down to gods. His entire motivation is to prove his superiority, win decisively through his own capabilities, and become the best version of himself. Reed is his fixation just because Reed is the only one who really matches him in terms of intelligence, and even beats him out at times (though Doom has outdone him at multiple instances, and usually only loses because Reed has help). Doom doesn't want to surpass anyone because he already knows he's the best. It's just a matter of dealing with those who would dispute that.

Agreed that him and Thanos are different. They are similar in some respects (definitely enough to be compared), but the core of their characters are completely different. Doom always does what he does for himself, going so far as to sacrifice those loves in pursuit of his own interests. Thanos always has an outside motivator, whether it's to please lady death (love) or to save the civilizations of the universe (utilitarianism).

Anyway, Thanos is the best MCU villain so far. The Russos did him justice. I hope he's not beaten too cleanly in the next movie. At least one of the big Avengers needs to go down.

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on May 3rd, 2018 at 12:39 AM

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 12:36 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Thanos has set a very high bar

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 02:45 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote