KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Give your top five MCU films

Give your top five MCU films
Started by: quanchi112

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
Gotcha.

The biggest challenge for DC right now is simply getting people to give a shit about their major characters, let alone villains. It's very likely that when they introduce Darkseid no one will care at all.

As I am currently giving Marvel the benefit of the doubt when it comes to their movies, I'm taking the opposite approach with DC - assuming whatever they put out will be shit until they break that trend. I guess you could say they did that already with Wonder Woman being a bit hit, but that may have been a fluke, and it was still a pretty flawed film in a lot of ways.
Wonder Woman was basically Captain America: The First Avenger (but swap Steve for Diana). Both are good movies imo, it's just I couldn't shake the feeling I'd seen WW before even when I hadn't watched it. Also, the ending sucked and weighed it down. Still, definitely the DCEU's best film and character so far.

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 08:34 PM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
Wonder Woman was basically Captain America: The First Avenger (but swap Steve for Diana). Both are good movies imo, it's just I couldn't shake the feeling I'd seen WW before even when I hadn't watched it. Also, the ending sucked and weighed it down. Still, definitely the DCEU's best film and character so far.
WW was good but it didn't deserve the 92% it got on RT IMO.

PWNT

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 08:39 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by BackFire
Gotcha.

The biggest challenge for DC right now is simply getting people to give a shit about their major characters, let alone villains. It's very likely that when they introduce Darkseid no one will care at all.

As I am currently giving Marvel the benefit of the doubt when it comes to their movies, I'm taking the opposite approach with DC - assuming whatever they put out will be shit until they break that trend. I guess you could say they did that already with Wonder Woman being a bit hit, but that may have been a fluke, and it was still a pretty flawed film in a lot of ways.
At this point we have no reason to believe they're not going to buttphuck Darkseid, which is a damn shame, as he's an iconic villain.

As you said, look at the record so far:

Zod - Decent, but not great, Shannon's acting ability likely helped the dull-ish script
Luthor - Humongous pile of shit and one of the worst casting choices in film history. FFS, Mark Strong was available for the role
Doomsday - Giant pile of shit
Ares - Decent, but not great. Good actor was cast, but he was not right for the role
Ludendorff: Okay, but overall a generic villain
Enchantress - Forgettable
^Her Brother - Is a huge 'who cares'
Amanda Waller - Decent from the little we've seen, this one a good casting if they use her properly going forward

Villains can make or break a film, the DCU is failing here, they need to rethink their writing/ideas when it comes to the villains.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 08:40 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
Don't get me wrong...I'm not arguing against Thanos as a great villain. I think WB/DC has a HUGE task ahead of them if they want to make Darkseid even 1/10 as good a CHARACTER as Thanos was in IW. What I was talking about was power levels. I'm pretty sure Darkseid, when he appears in film, will be vastly more powerful than Thanos was in IW... DC has a tendency to not nerf their characters as much as Marvel does.
Really ? Look at the feats Thor got in this. We have seen how powerful Ego was and Dormammu which dwarfs anything seen thus far in the dceu. Doomsday was losing limbs to WW. I for one believe marvel is a lot more powerful. Hela herself was an Asgardian destroying monster. I do not personally think Darkseid will be close to Thanos in terms of power. Darkseid will lead that massive Apokoliptian army but we may hopefully find out if this movie ever comes to pass.

In most of these comic films we see many plot devices such at the motherboxes, infinity stones, and various other things different than their comic book counterparts.

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 08:41 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Arachnid1
It was good the first time I saw it but doesn’t hold up well on rewatches. Still good positive film in the right direction but not great.

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 08:42 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Darkseid's going to be portrayed as god-like from the start. He'll probably suck as a villain as he'll be written that way, but CptSB is correct there, from a power-levels standpoint, the DCU goes all out.

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 08:51 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Robtard
Darkseid's going to be portrayed as god-like from the start. He'll probably suck as a villain as he'll be written that way, but CptSB is correct there, from a power-levels standpoint, the DCU goes all out.
Such as ? Who is ridiculously powerful from the dceu ? The MCU is the place that has the heavy hitters not the dceu.

Thor is a god but what does that prove. It’s just a meaningless title. It’s about power not titles.

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 08:52 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

I'm not going to get into a VS match in here as you'll never admit it because you despise DC characters especially Superman, but he'd wreck the Avengers on paper, stronger, more durable, super-speed that makes others look like statues, flight, a ranged attack. He's OP.

Asgardians are not actually gods, they're just powerful and highly advanced to the point that their tech is indiscernible from magic. Odin even says so.

Last edited by Robtard on May 3rd, 2018 at 08:57 PM

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 08:55 PM
quanchi112
Disney

I'm not going to get into a VS match in here as you'll never admit it because you despise DC characters especially Superman, but he'd wreck the Avengers on paper, stronger, more durable, super-speed that makes others look like statues, flight, a ranged attack. He's OP.

Asgardians are not actually gods, they're just powerful and highly advanced. Odin even says so.
Oh the guy who lost to an all out Batman in a film suddenly beats the entire Avengers team. It’s always the same forget what you see and pay attention to what happens in your imaginations. Or look at a few moments of a fight and forget everything else you see. We are talking about power levels not overall formidability but take a look at Thanos, Dormammu, Ego, Surtur, etc. who dwarf Superman in sheer power.

Hela is described as having limitless power. Is Superman ? Nah.

He’s also called a god in the films. Either way the words do not matter just their power levels and capabilities.

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 09:02 PM
Arachnid1

Asgardians are not actually gods, they're just powerful and highly advanced. Odin even says so.
TBH that's one reason I've always prefered Marvel. I do like DC but every hero being written to be near godlike gets old. It makes every story and every big event some reality shattering phenomenon and makes the heroes look stupid when they get outdone by someone lesser for the sake of plot (Flash is the biggest example of this). It makes the characters hard to write for. There's a reason Batman usually has the best stories in DC.

People get hyped for Darkseid because he tips the balance of power more heavily to the villain side. He is to the JL power level wise what Thanos is to the Avengers. That would make me excited for the eventual JL movie with him if not for the fact that I cant really root for the heroes who are currently mostly uninteresting and unlikeable. Power level wise though, there's really no question that Darkseid is going to be OP, and thats by DC standards. Character Wise, they'll probably screw him up.

PWNT

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 09:05 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by quanchi112
Oh the guy who lost to an all out Batman in a film suddenly beats the entire Avengers team. It’s always the same forget what you see and pay attention to what happens in your imaginations. Or look at a few moments of a fight and forget everything else you see. We are talking about power levels not overall formidability but take a look at Thanos, Dormammu, Ego, Surtur, etc. who dwarf Superman in sheer power.

Hela is described as having limitless power. Is Superman ? Nah.

He’s also called a god in the films. Either way the words do not matter just their power levels and capabilities.

Cos Kryptonite and Superman wasn't trying to kill Batman... you always conveniently leave that out.

Anyhow, not getting into this with you here. Wrong thread. You're free to think Darkseid's going to be written as some weakling. I have no concerns there, he's going to be written as immensely powerful, probably ridiculously so. But who cares when the writing will likely suck and he'll blow as a villain.

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 09:07 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

TBH that's one reason I've always prefered Marvel. I do like DC but every hero being written to be near godlike gets old. It makes every story and every big event some reality shattering phenomenon and makes the heroes look stupid when they get outdone by someone lesser for the sake of plot (Flash is the biggest example of this). It makes the characters hard to write for. There's a reason Batman usually has the best stories in DC.

People get hyped for Darkseid because he tips the balance of power more heavily to the villain side. He is to the JL power level wise what Thanos is to the Avengers. That would make me excited for the eventual JL movie with him if not for the fact that I cant really root for the heroes who are currently mostly uninteresting and unlikeable. Power level wise though, there's really no question that Darkseid is going to be OP, and thats by DC standards. Character Wise, they'll probably screw him up.

For sure, OP characters tend to be less interesting than the lower tiers, imo. Iron Man and Cap are more interesting than Thor and Hulk in the MCU. Though Thor as of Ragnarok has gone up imo, they're writing him better.

Yep.

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 09:09 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Cos Kryptonite and Superman wasn't trying to kill Batman... you always conveniently leave that out.

Anyhow, not getting into this with you here. Wrong thread. You're free to think Darkseid's going to be written as some weakling. I have no concerns there, he's going to be written as immensely powerful, probably ridiculously so. But who cares when the writing will likely suck and he'll blow as a villain.
The point is if one guy has the resources and the reflexes what makes you think Superman can beat the Avengers. Then don’t the point is the MCU has the more powerful characters who I named.

Not a weakling just not at Thanos’ level. Not in terms of a character or power level. If any of these dceu films putter out they will cancel the new gods film IMO.

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 09:11 PM
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Another thing that the DCEU keeps doing is that when characters punch each other, there is always some Sonic boom type impact effect. The characters also seem to be in zero gravity, because they always seem to fly into walls or buildings and there are always explosions with things crumbling around them.
And of course slow motion everywhere.
Like that Wonder Woman scene where she is blocking bullets with her shield on the WW1 battlefield, it's all slow motion with explosions behind her.
Imagine every Cap scene where he blocks bullets be some sort motion spectacle.
Lastly DC characters just seem to be able to fly, just because. And flying characters punching each other "seems" to look more impressive that characters in the ground punching each other. Again flying off after getting punched only to crash into a building.

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 09:25 PM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 09:53 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

Indeed. It's basically The First Avenger, but with a shitty villain, instead of Hugo Weaving's epic turn as the Red Skull. It only got as much fan fare as it did, because of the female lead.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 10:00 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Indeed. It's basically The First Avenger, but with a shitty villain, instead of Hugo Weaving's epic turn as the Red Skull. It only got as much fan fare as it did, because of the female lead.
Yah, Hugo Weaving was fantastic.

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post May 4th, 2018 12:01 AM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Iron Man
Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Winter Soldier
Doctor Strange
Ant Man

That's my top... five. Yeah, five. Not six.

Last edited by NewGuy01 on May 4th, 2018 at 12:46 AM

Old Post May 4th, 2018 12:44 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

1. Infinity War
2. Winter Soldier
3/4/5. Ragnarok / Iron Man / Civil War
6/7. Thor / Doctor Strange
8/9/10. Avengers / Spiderman: Homecoming / Black Panther
11/12/13/14. Ant-Man / Guardians of the Galaxy / Captain America / Iron Man 3
15/16. Incredible Hulk / Guardians of the Galaxy 2
17. Thor: Dark World
18. Iron Man 2

They are angry because they have been forced to recognize that their hour has arrived; that the time has come to surrender power to Shimrra and the new order."

Old Post May 4th, 2018 01:09 AM
JKBart is currently offline Click here to Send JKBart a Private Message Find more posts by JKBart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. Thor: Ragnarok
4. Captain America: Civil War
5. The Avengers

Old Post May 6th, 2018 12:02 AM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote