KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » As a liberal/conservative if you had to give up one policy in exchange for another?

As a liberal/conservative if you had to give up one policy in exchange for another?
Started by: CentaurSuperman

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
CentaurSuperman

As a liberal/conservative if you had to give up one policy in exchange for another?

As a liberal/conservative if you had to give up one policy in exchange for support from the other group on another, what would that be?

Old Post May 6th, 2018 08:28 PM
CentaurSuperman is currently offline Click here to Send CentaurSuperman a Private Message Find more posts by CentaurSuperman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I would support the banning of all guns if a strict prohibition on alcohol and drugs was also enacted (I mean Duterte level strict).

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post May 6th, 2018 08:43 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Not really a conservative/liberal per se.

But I believe solid gun control and solid regulation on abortion (banning of abortion for any reason other than rape/medical necessity) is win/win.

Old Post May 6th, 2018 09:23 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Can I give up the Republican party's antipathy towards weed? Even though I don't support their antipathy towards weed? In exchange for something else I want?

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post May 6th, 2018 10:28 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

You can but that'd be a ***** answer because it's a Republican stance that's collapsing already. Within ten years weed will be legal in every state.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post May 6th, 2018 10:32 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tzeentch
You can but that'd be a ***** answer because it's a Republican stance that's collapsing already. Within ten years weed will be legal in every state.

Can I give up other republican stances I don't like, such as the private prison system? In exchange for making abortion illegal, cept for danger to mother's life?

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!

Old Post May 6th, 2018 10:35 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Sure.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post May 6th, 2018 11:27 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

I'd give up waffles for pancakes

Old Post May 7th, 2018 04:47 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I don't have anything because the things I don't like are not necessarily specific to either party but problems with both.

I'd give up all of our foreign war-stuff if it meant we could decriminalize all drugs.

That's a win win for me but both parties lose as they both support those.

Old Post May 7th, 2018 04:51 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

I already pick and choose to begin with. There isn't one party that I agree with on everything.

Old Post May 7th, 2018 05:51 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Originally posted by dadudemon
I don't have anything because the things I don't like are not necessarily specific to either party but problems with both.

I'd give up all of our foreign war-stuff if it meant we could decriminalize all drugs.

That's a win win for me but both parties lose as they both support those.

Even cocaine and crack?

Weed I understand, even some pills to a certain point, but crack and cocaine, those are hardcore drugs.

Old Post May 7th, 2018 06:21 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Definitely psychedelics too. Want those legalized.

Old Post May 7th, 2018 06:23 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by SquallX
Even cocaine and crack?

Weed I understand, even some pills to a certain point, but crack and cocaine, those are hardcore drugs.

Yes, all of them. Drug addiction is not a criminal problem: it's a medical problem.

Prohibitions of things that people WILL 100% use only create black markets and violence to protect those black markets. Decriminalizing all of it removes much of the purpose for those black markets.

Old Post May 7th, 2018 06:31 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Yes, all of them. Drug addiction is not a criminal problem: it's a medical problem.

Prohibitions of things that people WILL 100% use only create black markets and violence to protect those black markets. Decriminalizing all of it removes much of the purpose for those black markets.

It’s not really a medical problem when you choose to smoke crack and snort cocaine because your life sucks. That’s a choice.

Just like if I take a gun and kill people, doesn’t mean I need medical help, just means am a psycho that needs to be locked up for life.

Weeds I understand, but crack and cocaine, no.

Old Post May 7th, 2018 06:50 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

It’s not really a medical problem when you choose to smoke crack and snort cocaine because your life sucks. That’s a choice.

Just like if I take a gun and kill people, doesn’t mean I need medical help, just means am a psycho that needs to be locked up for life.

Weeds I understand, but crack and cocaine, no.

It's a choice that often starts as a mental problem that ends up a medical problem. If you had the option to implement a policy that reduced, in raw pure numbers, all violent crime by 25%, eliminated or greatly reduced operations for or even eliminated most drug cartels, decreased non-violent deaths, and decreased government costs, would you implement it? It's a tough pill to swallow (pun intended) that decriminalizing things like crack cocaine and heroin is actually a good thing. There's a difference between making legal for personal use and decriminalizing.

https://www.thoughtco.com/decrimina...rijuana-3368393

And if you take a gun to kill people, you have mental problems that I would hope get addressed before you use the gun to kill people.

Old Post May 7th, 2018 06:55 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

That's fair, but what do you replace it with? To me, it seems that while you have removed black market crime, there could be an uptick in violent crime because more people are on drugs (mainly Crack/cocaine, PCP, etc. ) Are we making these drugs more affordable and thus easier for the masses to obtain? Or are we keeping them at the current price and having addicts do crazy things to obtain them? I don't think all users will be criminals, but I do think you up the percentages by allowing more people the opportunity to obtain them (mainly the people who refrained because they were against the law).

Old Post May 7th, 2018 06:56 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

It's a choice that often starts as a mental problem that ends up a medical problem. If you had the option to implement a policy that reduced, in raw pure numbers, all violent crime by 25%, eliminated or greatly reduced operations for or even eliminated most drug cartels, decreased non-violent deaths, and decreased government costs, would you implement it? It's a tough pill to swallow (pun intended) that decriminalizing things like crack cocaine and heroin is actually a good thing. There's a difference between making legal for personal use and decriminalizing.

https://www.thoughtco.com/decrimina...rijuana-3368393

And if you take a gun to kill people, you have mental problems that I would hope get addressed before you use the gun to kill people.

Am with you on stopping all from of crimes even if the number were just 0.1% a year. Am all for it. But at the same time, I cant just get behind the idea someone destroying their lives through drugs always falls under mental problems. I just can’t.

Agree with weed. But their have also being people that abuses and have cause some pretty bad damages.

With th gun thing. Some people are just evil, it’s not a medical problem, their just evil.

Old Post May 7th, 2018 07:06 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by socool8520
That's fair, but what do you replace it with?

Foreign military-war-stuff. We end those things.

Both topics are bipartisan that I mentioned. Both democrats nd republicans support, on average, criminalization of drugs. Both also support our foregin military-war-stuff.

To me, it seems that while you have removed black market crime, there could be an uptick in violent crime because more people are on drugs (mainly Crack/cocaine, PCP, etc. )

That's not what happens, though. Drug use decreases when drug prohibitions end. And the young people use the drugs less, too.

Are we making these drugs more affordable and thus easier for the masses to obtain?

Almost all people who use drugs cannot afford drug use.

https://willingway.com/income-drug-alcohol-abuse/

Or are we keeping them at the current price and having addicts do crazy things to obtain them?

You're still thinking in prohibition terms, still. Those are prohibition measures that do not effectively reduce drug use so post-prohibition, your question doesn't matter. When you no longer have a drug prohibition, questions like the one you ask here are moot. Drug prices - for the purposes of making drugs harder to obtain - doesn't even matter.

But here's a breakdown of the costs of drugs over time during the Great Drug Prohibition in the US:

https://www.vox.com/cards/war-on-dr...failure-working

I think the above is a good read.

I don't think all users will be criminals, but I do think you up the percentages by allowing more people the opportunity to obtain them (mainly the people who refrained because they were against the law).

This is not correct. All illegal drug users are criminals because that's how it works. So many are "uncaught and un-prosecuted." That's under the current system.

Just simply decriminalizing is not enough. As The Netherlands discovered, you must provide programs that help people "clean up" AND get mental and medical help.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...924977X10700018

It costs far less to provide those programs than it does to maintain our Drug Prohibitions.

What if we spent the $7.6 billion that we did in Afghanistan to stop poppy production (which was to stop the opiate empire) on schools or drug-addiction programs? What would have happened with drug use?

Personally, I think the US has a very serious problem with tackling symptoms but not solving the underlying problems. It's sexier to see photos of massive drug busts. And they all throw bust parties, pat each other on the back, and the people in congress jerk each other off to these photos while saying, "See, our policies resulted in this major drug cartel being taken out. We're such good law makers." But, in reality, one falls, 3 spring up. Because the prohibition is still in place. And there's still an incentive for criminals to do criminally crimey crimes. The problem is the prohibition, but they keep tackling people who are taking advantage of the system prohibition creates.

They want to stop drug use? Why don't they stop drug use? Seems simple, right? You don't stop drug use by breaking up drug makers. That's not how it works and that's not how it will ever work.

My position comes from two places:

Libertarianism AND conservatism. Libertarian, obviously, because you shouldn't be able to tell an adult what they can or cannot put into their body. Conservatism because it's simply a fiscal problem to keep Drug Prohibitions in place. Spend a tenth of the amount of money on drug addiction treatment or even better, provide universal healthcare that includes mental healthcare (this is still a conservative position but US conservatives are too dumb, obstinate, and ignorant to realize that UHC is actually a conservative position).

Old Post May 7th, 2018 07:39 PM
dadudemon

Am with you on stopping all from of crimes even if the number were just 0.1% a year. Am all for it. But at the same time, I cant just get behind the idea someone destroying their lives through drugs always falls under mental problems. I just can’t.

Agree with weed. But their have also being people that abuses and have cause some pretty bad damages.

With th gun thing. Some people are just evil, it’s not a medical problem, their just evil.

Many turn to drugs to assist or avoid their mental issues. You know me, I don't usually pull this type of claim out of my ass:

quote:
"...people who have been diagnosed with a mental health disorder at some point in their lives are responsible for the consumption of:

69 percent of alcohol
84 percent of cocaine
68 percent of cigarettes"

https://www.dualdiagnosis.org/menta...the-connection/

Also, agreed with you about the weed users destroying their lives. I've seen great people get too far into "smoking a bowl" that they got too lazy to do...anything. Laundry, school, exercise, etc. They just wanted to smoke weed all day and sit on their couch. It wasn't that they were lazy before the weed. They weren't. Not at all. They started smoking weed and THEN became lazy. As one of my friends described it, "I get anxious about all the things I have to do so I smoke a bowl to relax. Then after I smoke a bowl, I don't want to do anything. And I don't."

Old Post May 7th, 2018 07:45 PM
dadudemon

Oh, and SquallX, you're right about evil people, too. It's not that we disagree on the underlying things. We don't. We just disagree on what might be the best path to solve those underlying things.

I personally think that better access to free healthcare and mental healthcare will help with our violence problems. It won't solve it. But it will help with it. The UHC solution MUST include mental health. And America needs to mature on their perspective of mental healthcare. We need to view it as "getting my annual checkup." Instead of, "Well..only crazy people need to see a shrink."

Old Post May 7th, 2018 07:47 PM