KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » Dr. Strange vs. Magneto

Dr. Strange vs. Magneto
Started by: FrothByte

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
I mean he cant manipulate the Thing but can manipulate Colossus.

He cant manipulate Beast but can manipulate Black Panther.

He cant manipulate Palpatine but can manipulate Vader.

So my point is its usually a 50/50 with Magneto if he can instantly own someone or not. Its just the danger of his power with metal being used in almost everything. And the ridiculous ease with which he controls metal. So I dont see it as an unfair advantage, or weakness exploitation. Weakness exploitation would be using Kryptonite against Superman.

Then if we add in his Apoc powers, of an invulnerable magnetic shield and control over the Earth as well, it just vastly increases his chances against that other 50% of combatants.

Okay. I will sum this up with a simple question. Would Magneto have an easier or harder time defeating Strange if there was no metal in his hands? Based on your initial response to this thread, I imagine your answer would be harder. And if your answer is harder, then I fail to see how you cannot consider him targeting Strange's hands as weakness exploitation. So, guess we will have to agree to disagree on that.

But answer me this. What feats does his forcefield have to suggest it's invulnerable?

Old Post May 10th, 2018 11:02 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Based on the fact that he is perfectly willing and capable of doing this like this.

So you’re proof is a scene of a guy not even aware of someone setting him up or actively engaging him in a fight with no powers. Strange has the cape cover his face right away.

Old Post May 10th, 2018 01:39 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheLordofMurder

Magneto wins...

Old Post May 11th, 2018 03:12 AM
TheLordofMurder is currently offline Click here to Send TheLordofMurder a Private Message Find more posts by TheLordofMurder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Can't believe this is even debatable!

Strange wins! He is simply above Magneto's league. PERIOD.

Old Post May 11th, 2018 03:22 AM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Normal Mags might win some. Planetary Magneto stomps.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post May 11th, 2018 03:24 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
Magneto wins...
Nah, cape to the face. Strange wins.

Old Post May 11th, 2018 03:31 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
Metal in his hands...

Mags can detect the presence of metal readily; even at considerable distance...

This is a disaster matchup for Strange as a result...

Metal in his hands mr.LOM??

Do you know what kind of metal is in it's hands? Go research, then come back and reconsider your words.

Old Post May 11th, 2018 03:33 AM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Stainless steel.

Old Post May 11th, 2018 03:37 AM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
Stainless steel.

Aye, Stainless steel. Not the best magnetic material.

Furthermore, prosthetic surgeries like the one Dr. Strange had uses Stainless Steel 316 or Austenitic Stainless Steel, which isn't a magnetic material/metal.

Old Post May 11th, 2018 03:43 AM
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

I was under the impression magneto could mess with all metals due to super hero logic.

Old Post May 11th, 2018 03:45 AM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

They kind of phucked that up in the films. Because, based on all the films before X-Men Apocalypse, it was just control of all metals. Callisto even described it as such in X3, when Mags and Pyro go on a Brotherhood recruiting drive:

“That and more, I know that you control metal, and I know there are eighty-seven mutants in here and none above a Class Three, other than you two.”

But in X-Men Apocalypse, it was very clearly manipulation of magnetic fields.

Old Post May 11th, 2018 03:59 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

How is the cape going to get through mag's shrapnel bubble that even quicksilver couldn't get through?

To be fair, Magneto needed quite a bit of prep time to put up that shield.

Old Post May 11th, 2018 04:00 AM
FrothByte is currently offline Click here to Send FrothByte a Private Message Find more posts by FrothByte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Hm. Well either way, very powerful magnets can still effect 316 stainless steel. Since magneto was effecting metals all over the world, I'm sure he's strong enough to trigger the paramagnetic properties in the pins in strange's hands.

If that doesn't work, he still wears that broken watch, right?

Old Post May 11th, 2018 04:09 AM
TheLordofMurder

Hm. Well either way, very powerful magnets can still effect 316 stainless steel. Since magneto was effecting metals all over the world, I'm sure he's strong enough to trigger the paramagnetic properties in the pins in strange's hands.

If that doesn't work, he still wears that broken watch, right?

thumb up

Old Post May 11th, 2018 04:27 AM
TheLordofMurder is currently offline Click here to Send TheLordofMurder a Private Message Find more posts by TheLordofMurder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Interestingly enough, based on the dialogue in this scene, Apocalypse doesn't actually necessarily amp Magneto. More like helps him get over a mental block to his full potential.

The movie wasn't great as a whole, but I thought this scene was pretty good.

Old Post May 11th, 2018 06:21 AM
juggerman

Film Magneto's powers are described as "controls metal". Magnetism has never been a factor as far as I know

"I'M THE JUGGERMAN B!TCH"

Old Post May 11th, 2018 06:43 AM
juggerman is currently offline Click here to Send juggerman a Private Message Find more posts by juggerman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Before X-Men: Apocalypse, I would have agreed. But they specifically mention him screwing with magnetic fields at the end of the film, IIRC, when they mention that he was going to destroy everything built since the Bronze Age. Plus, look at the pattern at 1:55 odd in the clip I posted. That's magnetism.

Maybe he can control both metal and magnetic fields? I really don't know at this point.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on May 11th, 2018 at 06:53 AM

Old Post May 11th, 2018 06:51 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Here we go, from about 0:50 onwards:

Old Post May 11th, 2018 06:55 AM
juggerman

I was just going to ask for that second clip. Thanks.

In that first clip it could be argued that those lines were just a result of the metal moving but that second clip does kinda spell out "magnetism"

I'm not sure if it's solely magnetism or if it's a combination. I'd like to think it's both but I dunno off hand if he has manipulated anything non magnetic

"I'M THE JUGGERMAN B!TCH"

Old Post May 11th, 2018 06:59 AM
juggerman is currently offline Click here to Send juggerman a Private Message Find more posts by juggerman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by juggerman
I was just going to ask for that second clip. Thanks.

In that first clip it could be argued that those lines were just a result of the metal moving but that second clip does kinda spell out "magnetism"

I'm not sure if it's solely magnetism or if it's a combination. I'd like to think it's both but I dunno off hand if he has manipulated anything non magnetic

That first one on the ground is a magnetic field pattern. You can see the resemblance here.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post May 11th, 2018 07:03 AM