KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » Who is more heroic: Captain America vs. Thor

Who is more heroic: Captain America vs. Thor
Started by: FrothByte

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (27): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist
The Shadow

I think a problem with Cap is that he's not apparently willing to sacrifice people close to him for the sake of the greater good, and there may be times when that's necessary.

Old Post May 28th, 2018 10:20 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
How does being worth mean you are the better hero? We don't know the exact specifics of the worthy enchantment after all.

I stated that I was using relentless1's standard, so why are you asking me to explain his reasoning? I can't read his mind, so you would be better served asking him.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post May 28th, 2018 10:22 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WolvesofBabylon
Welcome to the machine

Originally posted by FrothByte
You might also want to take into consideration their accomplishments. You'd probably want to back a hero who has a good win record and the impact their victories make. I mean, both Thor and Cap have great accomplishments, just thought I'd point out that it's not only the attitude but also the results that matter.

Fair point. It is just hard for me quantify one feat more heroic than another. Wherher your a normal person who runs into a burning house to save a family or if your Thor and saving the world.

It really just splitting hairs between these two.

Old Post May 28th, 2018 10:30 PM
WolvesofBabylon is currently offline Click here to Send WolvesofBabylon a Private Message Find more posts by WolvesofBabylon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by SquallX
When you said Thor, no one bat an eye. But yet your always asking people to explain themselves.

Why don’t you explain yourself.
I asked first. I can do so but you go first.

Old Post May 28th, 2018 11:27 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Silent Master
By your own standard, you just proved Thor is more of a hero, after all. he proved himself worthy of Mjolnir. whereas Cap was shown to not be worthy.

Worthy by viking standards.

And it's entirely his fault he was unworthy in the first place.

Cap is clearly the far bigger inspiration, given the obstacles he had to overcome, the respect he commands, the unshakable values he holds..

Cap is more worthy then Odin, Thor, or Mjolnir. He's the MCU's Chuck Norris, John Wayne, and Statue of Liberty rolled into one.. An icon, symbol, and definition of heroism.

Put another way, Cap could lose all of his physical gifts, his costume, his shield, and he'd be no less the hero. Because he isn't defined by his abilities or garb. He's the one that defines all that, by his actions.

The fact Thor struggled so hard to get back the hammer is proof enough his hammer defines him, and not the other way around. Without Mjolnir or godhood, who is Thor?

Just some guy, you know?

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 28th, 2018 11:37 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by relentless1
Cap fights those that he KNOWS he can't beat and yet he fights on anyways; Cap is the better hero because he is vulnerable and he can die but he decides to sacrifice his wants and dreams to do better for mankind. That is a Hero

Thor is a prince/king who saved his people sure but he strikes me more as a guy cleaning up his own mess most of the time; the only time he was on Caps level of heroism was only used to prove himself worthy of Mjolnir.

Cap give more to the struggle than Thor does, that is why hes a better hero.

Now lets hear your explanation Quan, if you can manage one

The same can be said of Thor against Hela and more recently against Thanos with the stones. Both went up against Thanos despite being outmatched.

Thor is vulnerable as a hero as well. He’s had his powers stripped and learned humility and at the same time mercy. He wanted to not kill the entire race of jotunheim. That isn’t just smiting your enemy it’s learning he was wrong, arrogant, and grew from his mistakes. There’s a real depth to Thor as a hero.

He’s also faced off against much more personal tragedy on screen. Parents death, best friend death, Asgard destroyed, sister is evil and had to bring about her destruction through Surtur, dealt with his step brothers death, and still had the resolve to fight on in pursuit of stormbreaker. Ultimately he’s the avenger that saves wakanda and the rest of the Avengers singlehandedly. Thor was on the brink of death to deliver them from evil. Thor has more faults and overcomes them than Cap so there’s more conflict within Thor. Still close but Thor hands down.

TLDR; more growth, more inner conflict, and just as much resolve as Cap while dealing with more tragedy imo.

Old Post May 28th, 2018 11:41 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Originally posted by WolvesofBabylon
Captain America easily. Cap is a better leader and more inspiring as well.

thumb up Cap is the most heroic.

Old Post May 29th, 2018 12:01 AM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Originally posted by cdtm

Cap is clearly the far bigger inspiration, given the obstacles he had to overcome, the respect he commands, the unshakable values he holds..

Cap is more worthy then Odin, Thor, or Mjolnir. He's the MCU's Chuck Norris, John Wayne, and Statue of Liberty rolled into one.. An icon, symbol, and definition of heroism.

Put another way, Cap could lose all of his physical gifts, his costume, his shield, and he'd be no less the hero. Because he isn't defined by his abilities or garb. He's the one that defines all that, by his actions.

The fact Thor struggled so hard to get back the hammer is proof enough his hammer defines him, and not the other way around. Without Mjolnir or godhood, who is Thor?

Just some guy, you know?

Completely agree.

Old Post May 29th, 2018 12:08 AM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Just some guy, you know?
thumb up

PWNT

Old Post May 29th, 2018 12:24 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Just some guy, you know?

Let's admit CDTM made a hell of a comparison. I don't know if it was a story or a poem laughing out loud

Old Post May 29th, 2018 01:50 AM
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

Just some guy, you know?

Just want to point out that Thor actually had bigger and more numerous obstacles to overcome.

Old Post May 29th, 2018 02:24 AM
FrothByte is currently offline Click here to Send FrothByte a Private Message Find more posts by FrothByte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Originally posted by FrothByte
Just want to point out that Thor actually had bigger and more numerous obstacles to overcome.

Cap was a skinny soldier who was bullied by everyone and who no one thought would even make it!

How can Thor Odinson prince of Asgard have bigger obstacles to overcome? laughing out loud

Old Post May 29th, 2018 03:06 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

According to Mjolnir, Thor.

Old Post May 29th, 2018 04:05 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
Cap moved the hammer, he just stopped to not hurt thor's feelings. Because cap is a true bro
You might not be wrong. I've thought this myself before.

I still take Thor. Cap was always the kind of guy who wanted to fight the bully. Thor had to learn that HE was the bully and change his ways. Throughout his entire arc he's had more character development. He's sacrificed himself more times than Cap as well. They're both fantastic heroes though so it's kinda like pulling hairs.

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post May 29th, 2018 04:56 AM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

The honest truth is that Cap never had to go through Thor's development and learn to not be the bully like Thor because he was pretty much the perfect hero from the start. Thor's development is just him coming closer and closer to reaching the ideal Cap set.

Old Post May 29th, 2018 04:59 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Originally posted by NemeBro
The honest truth is that Cap never had to go through Thor's development and learn to not be the bully like Thor because he was pretty much the perfect hero from the start. Thor's development is just him coming closer and closer to reaching the ideal Cap set.
I just personally care for hero that faces more diversity and comes out better for it. I feel like Thor has overcome MUCH more than Cap. They've both been through shit for sure, but I'll take Thor in a very close race. Cap is the better leader though, for sure.

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post May 29th, 2018 05:02 AM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

Originally posted by Josh_Alexander

Cap was a skinny soldier who was bullied by everyone and who no one thought would even make it!

How can Thor Odinson prince of Asgard have bigger obstacles to overcome? laughing out loud

Not saying Thor wins here but...

Thor lost his powers, status and home, had to suck it up, learn humility and sacrifice himself before he gained it all back. In comparison, Cap took a serum.

Thor had to destroy the Bifrost, ruining his race's ability for insta-travel and ruining his chance to go back to the woman he loved just to save a race that he hated.

His mother was killed, his father was killed, his brother was killed, his bestfriend was killed, his weapon was destroyed, his hair was cut, his eye was taken out, his entire planet was destroyed and majority of his remaining people massacred... yet he continued fighting and didn't give in to despair.

How exactly has Cap conquered more obstacles than this? Cap is more heroic in other aspects, he has better leadership skills, he's more inspirational, he gives better speeches, etc.... but in terms of conquering more obstacles he has nothing against Thor. Cap really didn't have that much to lose in the first place. Thor had much more to lose and indeed lost them.

Old Post May 29th, 2018 05:08 AM
FrothByte is currently offline Click here to Send FrothByte a Private Message Find more posts by FrothByte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
I just personally care for hero that faces more diversity and comes out better for it. I feel like Thor has overcome MUCH more than Cap. They've both been through shit for sure, but I'll take Thor in a very close race. Cap is the better leader though, for sure.
You can certainly prefer Thor as a character or hero to Cap, sure, but when objectively analyzing who I'd prefer to be the one responsible for the security of the world, disregarding the frankly massive difference in their power? Cap is the honest answer IMHO. He's incorruptible, which Thor provably isn't.

Old Post May 29th, 2018 05:17 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Well to be fair, cap's father, mother, and "brother" also died and he did watch the woman he love die, and still keep fighting. He willingly gave up his weapon to try to save what little comradery he and tiny had left. Had the country he loved turn it's back on him and call him a criminal. Cap had to earn his serum(the general wanted to give it to one of the brawny fighter types in his regime) which included sacrificing himself with the grenade.

Cap never had to save someone he hated because I don't think cap is capable of hating anyone. He was one of the first to accept wanda and pietro despite the mind shinaigans

Old Post May 29th, 2018 05:17 AM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Yes, they died. Thor's were murdered, several of them right in front of Thor. entirely different types of grief.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post May 29th, 2018 05:21 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote