KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Boba Fett or Cad Bane

Boba Fett or Cad Bane
Started by: DarthPlaguis12

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zentrex
If he's talking canon, I believe that.

EDIT: Well, there are the ones, actually, but apart from them.
There is no legitimate reason to believe that Snoke is the most powerful force-user in canon.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 8th, 2018 at 10:38 PM

Old Post Jun 8th, 2018 10:36 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Zentrex has been smoking deathsticks

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Jun 8th, 2018 10:48 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Galan007
There is no legitimate reason to believe that Snoke is the most powerful force-user in canon.
Logic and common sense but you don’t really give a shit about Star Wars. You already admitted it so to you this holds no weight. I wish you cared a little bit.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 12:15 AM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by quanchi112
Logic and common sense
Logic and common sense glean nothing of the sort, actually... Nor does the evidence at hand.

If Zentrex would like a more thorough explanation, I'd be willing to provide such. Your faux-trolling is cute as always, though. smile

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 12:21 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Logic and common sense glean nothing of the sort, actually... Nor does the evidence at hand.

If Zentrex would like a more thorough explanation, I'd be willing to provide such. Your faux-trolling is cute as always, though. smile
Well it’s pretty clear due to Snoke’s complete and utter domination of Rey whose force power terrified Luke friggin’ Skywalker. That’s no small feat by any stretch and he also had confirmed knowledge of the force Sidious didn’t have access too when you add all of this up it’s clear he’s the strongest with the force we have ever seen with Luke at number two. I’m sure deep down if you actually gave a damn about fantasy you’d agree with me.

Why don’t you care, Galan007?

sad

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 12:26 AM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Oh yeah, dominating a Padawan is really impressive.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 01:26 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Oh yeah, dominating a Padawan is really impressive.
She isn’t a panda wan and she put Luke on his ass. He was terrified of her power level. I’m using facts you’re just being your typical crybaby self. I told you Snoke would be more impressive than Luke you sickening fanboy. I’m always right.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 02:07 AM
Zentrex
Hi!

None, though? I can see you being skepticle, but I mean, he's been the "big bad" for these two movies for a reason.

He had knowledge that Palpatine was after, learned from masters who had knowledge that was lost to all but the people who first discovered the Force, he survived in the unknown regions (where no one survives) for two hundred years, and he fought off threats which, in thrawn's opinion, made the empire look good. Threats which could devastate imperial technology, even under the leadership of Thrawn, Gallius Rax, and Rae Sloane. Not mention they had outposts and were following a plan masterminded by Palpatine.

He managed to turn Luke Skywalker of all people into a self-abasing, cynical runaway for thirty years, he completely dominated Rey, who we know was as powerful as Kylo Ren, and he managed to create a force bond between Kylo and Rey so powerful that it caused matter to transport - something even Luke coulnd't accomplish.

He was stated by the people working behind the movies to be very powerful. And it's Disney, so we know they just think more means better, so it makes sense that he'd be more powerful than our last big bad, Palpatine, who was the most powerful before.

So, yeah, i'd say there's plenty of evidence to suggest that he's the most powerful person in the new canon.

Originally posted by Kurk
Zentrex has been smoking deathsticks

So? Haven't you?

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 02:51 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Poor galan. Not that he cares tbh.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 03:00 AM
Darth Thor

Rey is even below padawan level tbh. She basically had Zero training.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 10:17 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Rey is even below padawan level tbh. She basically had Zero training.
Your opinion contradicted by canon. You really shouldn’t even watch Star Wars anymore at this point. So it makes Luke look even worse by your silly opinion and she did have training by Luke you idiotic tool.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 11:23 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I mean, he's been the "big bad" for these two movies for a reason.
Perhaps that makes him the most powerful force-user of his era... But the most powerful force-user in all of canon? No.

He had knowledge that Palpatine was after, learned from masters who had knowledge that was lost to all but the people who first discovered the Force,
By virtue of living in the Unknown Regions for so long, Snoke had evidently learned "truths" about the force that Palpatine sought(but never discovered) prior to his death. This doesn't necessarily imply that Snoke's *overall* knowledge exceeded Palpatine's, however -- just implies that he possessed a few nuggets of information that Palpatine wanted.

he survived in the unknown regions (where no one survives) for two hundred years,
I beg to differ. There are evidently quite a few civilizations that can survive in the Unknown Regions just fine -- the Chiss are one of them.

and he fought off threats which, in thrawn's opinion, made the empire look good. Threats which could devastate imperial technology, even under the leadership of Thrawn, Gallius Rax, and Rae Sloane.
First off, we don't know if the threats Snoke saved the Imperial remnants from are the same threats that Thrawn referenced to Palpatine. Thrawn stated that there were a multitude threats lurking there, after all.

Secondly, where are you getting this "fought off" thing from? All that was stated is that Snoke's knowledge saved the Imperial remnants from obliteration in the Unknown Regions... That could mean something as simple as guiding them to safety via stable hyperspace routes for all we know. /shrug

He managed to turn Luke Skywalker of all people into a self-abasing, cynical runaway for thirty years,
By turning Ben against him, thereby breaking Luke emotionally... Certainly not through raw power.

he completely dominated Rey, who we know was as powerful as Kylo Ren,
Rey has massive potential, but she had only received a few days of "training"(and I use that term very loosely) from Luke by the time she encountered Snoke. I certainly wouldn't regard him 'dominating' her as some sort of ridiculously uber feat that skyrockets Snoke to the top of the totem pole. Potential doesn't count for much when it is primarily untapped.

and he managed to create a force bond between Kylo and Rey so powerful that it caused matter to transport - something even Luke coulnd't accomplish.
Indeed Snoke's psionic abilities were impressive. Does that make him the most powerful force-user in canon by proxy, though? No.

He was stated by the people working behind the movies to be very powerful.
Cool, but there's a big discrepancy between "very powerful" and "the most powerful ever in canon". I agree with the former, but the latter is another story entirely...

So, yeah, i'd say there's plenty of evidence to suggest that he's the most powerful person in the new canon.
Maybe in time he'll rise to that level. As of right now, however, Sheev still holds that title decisively.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 11:59 AM
Darth Thor

Quan you sound seriously Butt hurt.

She had a total of 3 lessons from Luke. Only 1 of them involved reaching out through the Force. Whoop! Seriously TCW Ahsoka would be Reys teacher without a doubt.

Try paying more attention to the film you claim to be the best SW movie laughing out loud

Last edited by Darth Thor on Jun 9th, 2018 at 12:28 PM

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 12:21 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Maybe in time he'll rise to that level. As of right now, however, Sheev still holds that title decisively.
Sorry but this has already been addressed and your ignorance(you don’t care about this sort of stuff so I can’t fathom the reason you still post about topics that you’re apathetic towards) isn’t a legitimate excuse around the obvious. It’s already been stated.

“Andy Serkis says that his Star Wars character, Supreme Leader Snoke, is more powerful than both Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine, aka Darth Sidious.”

No, Sheev has never been the most powerful force user in canon. He was Yoda’s equal in the force and he himself fully admitted Vader would rise to power both greater than his and Yoda’s. Alas that never came to pass because of Mustafar so you get the gist.

Snoke showed superiority over raw strength Rey exhibited that caused Luke Skywalker to fear. Snoke ha already proven he is the greatest force power in the Star Wars mythos but let’s face it Luke was already more powerful than Sidious who at his best was Yoda’s equal.

smile

Andy Serkis wouldn’t lie, kid who doesn’t really even like Star Wars.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 12:37 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Quan you sound seriously Butt hurt.

She had a total of 3 lessons from Luke. Only 1 of them involved reaching out through the Force. Whoop! Seriously TCW Ahsoka would be Reys teacher without a doubt.

Try paying more attention to the film you claim to be the best SW movie laughing out loud
So? Luke didn’t have really extensive training from Yoda and look what he rose to. He handily crushed Darth Vader the overrated.

Not all people learn at the same rate. You really are quite bad at this and she managed to put Luke Skywalker on his ass with her skills. I did she was quite impressive according to Luke the guy you claimed would be all over Snoke. The dude just wanted to die while others suffered across the galaxy. Your great hero. laughing out loud

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 12:39 PM
Zentrex
Hi!

Galan

The chiss didn't survive INSIDE the unknown regions in the new canon, they survived near them.

IIRC, Snoke said he was a great warrior fighting off threats in the unknown regions, and if he's been there for 200-ish years, I imagine he would have encountered everything that they have to offer. And it's really stretching to say that the threats thrawn mentioned are different from the threats Snoke fought, and when Thrawn referred to his threats in the plural, he didn't mean there were different TYPES of threats, he meant, like, there's many of the one type of threat.

Snoke broke Luke through telepathy. Luke wouldn't just give up because he failed Ben. In fact, we see that Luke doesn't truly believe that at the end of the film. In his heart of hearts, he doesn't want to die, he doesn't want the jedi to end, he doesn't want any of this. It's an illusion set in his mind by Snoke. You were the one who showed me the passage of the Last Jedi novelization which states this.

And Rey is just as powerful as Kylo, who, might I mention, destroyed the entire beginnings of the new jedi order almost single handedly. Rey was equally matched with him when they tried to pull the lightsaber to themselves, and when Rey's force potential was unlocked by Kylo when he was mind-probing her, she became visibly powerful. She then lifted all those rocks effortlessly at the end of TLJ. So, yeah, she's kind of powerful.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 06:01 PM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Galan

The chiss didn't survive INSIDE the unknown regions in the new canon, they survived near them.
Incorrect.

The Chiss Ascendancy resides within the Unknown Regions:
quote:
"I believe the Emperor will be interested in meeting him and learning about these Chiss," Parck said. "I also believe that they could prove an important asset to the Empire. Do your myths include any suggestion of where their home planet might be located?"

"Just that they come from the Unknown Regions, sir. Nothing more specific," Vanto replied.

-Thrawn

quote:
"I have no designs against your people," the Emperor said. "Indeed, I have noted that despite your assistance in mapping the Unknown Region hyperspace routes you have kept the location of Chiss worlds and bases secret. That is acceptable. I don't begrudge you the defense of your people."

-Thrawn

ie. as Thrawn was helping Palpatine map the Unknown Regions, he intentionally kept the location(s) of all Chiss worldS/baseS within the UR secret... Which tells us they not only lived in the UR, but flourished there(hence why Thrawn knew so much about its inner-workings.)

IIRC, Snoke said he was a great warrior fighting off threats in the unknown regions, and if he's been there for 200-ish years, I imagine he would have encountered everything that they have to offer.
Unfortunately, what you 'imagine' doesn't equate to incontrovertible fact. The novelization explicitly states that it was Snoke's knowledge(not raw power) that saved the Imperial remnants from the terrors in the Unknown Regions:
quote:
But the Imperial refugees' military preparations had been insufficient bulwarks against the terrors of the Unknown Regions. Grasping in the dark among strange stars, they had come perilously close to destruction, and it had not been military might that saved them. It had been knowledge--Snoke's knowledge. Which, ironically, led back to Palpatine and his secrets.

-TLJ

And it's really stretching to say that the threats thrawn mentioned are different from the threats Snoke fought, and when Thrawn referred to his threats in the plural, he didn't mean there were different TYPES of threats, he meant, like, there's many of the one type of threat.
Incorrect.

Thrawn was clearly referring to numerous threatS(plural) lurking within the UR:
quote:
"As a start, I offer information," Thrawn said. "There are threats lurking in the Unknown Regions, threats that will someday find your Empire. I am familiar with many of them" [...] "Perhaps you will learn of them in time to defeat them, perhaps you will not," Thrawn said.

-Thrawn

quote:
"There are evil things in this galaxy, Nightswan. Far more evil than the Empire, and far more dangerous to all living beings. We know of some, while of others we have heard only rumors."

-Thrawn

Snoke broke Luke through telepathy. Luke wouldn't just give up because he failed Ben. In fact, we see that Luke doesn't truly believe that at the end of the film. In his heart of hearts, he doesn't want to die, he doesn't want the jedi to end, he doesn't want any of this. It's an illusion set in his mind by Snoke. You were the one who showed me the passage of the Last Jedi novelization which states this.
You're twisting the text a bit. It's not like Snoke straight-up mindphucked Luke or w/e. The passage reads as Snoke essentially manipulating those around Luke like chess pieces in order to emotionally break Luke himself and force him into a self-imposed exile(thereby removing him from play):
quote:
One obstacle had stood in his way--Skywalker. Who had been wise enough not to rebuild the Jedi Order, dismissing it as the sclerotic, self-perpetuating debating society it had become in its death throes. Instead, the last Jedi had sought to understand the origins of the faith, and the larger truths behind it. Like his father, Skywalker had been a favored instrument of the will of the Cosmic Force. That made it essential to watch him. And once Skywalker endangered Snoke's design, it had become essential to act. And so Snoke had drawn upon his vast store of knowledge, parceling it out to confuse Skywalker's path, ensnare his family, and harness Ben Solo's powers to ensure both Skywalker's destruction and Snoke's triumph.

-TLJ

It was Rey's 'vigor'(and then his chat with Yoda) that ultimately pulled Luke out of said exile and back into the fray.

And Rey is just as powerful as Kylo, who, might I mention, destroyed the entire beginnings of the new jedi order almost single handedly.
Eh, should I be impressed that Kylo killed a few unnamed/fodder/featless Padawan-level students?

Do you think Anakin chopping down a room full of Jedi Temple Younglings qualifies as a noteworthy display of power as well?

Rey was equally matched with him when they tried to pull the lightsaber to themselves, and when Rey's force potential was unlocked by Kylo when he was mind-probing her, she became visibly powerful. She then lifted all those rocks effortlessly at the end of TLJ. So, yeah, she's kind of powerful.
Indeed Rey has massive potential(why are you acting like I said otherwise..?) However, she was only just beginning to tap some of that potential when she encountered Snoke(which makes sense given that she'd only received a couple days-worth of subpar 'training' from Luke beforehand.) But again- potential doesn't count for much when it is primarily untapped.

Also, here's what Jason Fry(the guy who WROTE the TLJ novelization) thinks about the Palpatine/Snoke dynamic:
quote:
This book confirms that Snoke is not the only dark-side user older than Palpatine, but would it be a correct interpretation, after reading this novel, that Snoke had some relationship with the erstwhile Darth Sidious?

JF: I don't know. Snoke certainly had to know of Sidious's existence --he was the most powerful being in the galaxy, after all-- but exploring their relationship beyond that was something we decided was best left for other storytellers to tackle. If I were Snoke, though, I would have been very careful about attracting Sidious's attention. To borrow a line from another beloved franchise, dark lords don't generally share power.

-Source

Just saying... whistle

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 9th, 2018 at 09:34 PM

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 09:20 PM
Zentrex
Hi!

Incorrect. The Chiss Ascendancy resides within the Unknown Regions:
Thrawn intentionally kept the location(s) of all Chiss worldS/baseS within the UR secret

Okay, you're right. But the reason Thrawn contacted Palpatine was because he knew there were threats in the unknown regions the Chiss ascendency was incapable of dealing with.
Ahch-To was also in the unknwon regions, so we know there are safe places there, just not where the bad thigns are. So Snoke being able to survive the bad things is a pretty big deal.

quote:
The novelization explicitly states that it was Snoke's knowledge(not raw power) that saved the Imperial remnants from the terrors in the Unknown Regions:

What I was referring to was the sources which stated he was a warlord and had masters who taught him how to fight the threats in the unknown regions.

In fact, this is my strongest arguing point. He defenitely fought threats in the unknown regions with his arcane knowledge of the force. Now if you want to make things up around it, like, "oh, maybe they weren't the same threats we're being warned about," or "maybe he didn't actually have the power to fight them, but just the knowledge!", then that's consistent with logic, but there's really no reason to believe it.

quote:
It's not like Snoke straight-up mindphucked Luke or w/e. The passage reads as Snoke essentially manipulating those around Luke like chess pieces in order to emotionally break Luke himself and force him into a self-imposed exile

That is a valid interpretation of the quote, but doesn't it seem like they're using the world "knowledge" as a stand-in for "force abilities" when talking about Snoke?

quote:

Eh, should I be impressed that Kylo killed a few unnamed/fodder/featless Padawan-level students?

How do you know how powerful they were?

You say Rey's potential is untapped, fantastic, it is, but you can't deny she's powerful. We know this from her feats.
You're putting more importance to your sense of logic and speculation than you are to authorial intent. Yeah the few days of training with Luke SHOULDN'T have made her very powerful, but Johnson seems to think it should have, so that should take precendence.

quote:
Just saying... whistle

I think he was talking about political power.

The main thing that I'm looking for is, what do we know FOR SURE about Snoke? And from the quotes by the creators and actors as well as the information we've been presented, it seems they want Snoke to be the most powerful person there ever was.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 10:29 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Okay, you're right. But the reason Thrawn contacted Palpatine was because he knew there were threats in the unknown regions the Chiss ascendency was incapable of dealing with.
Yes and no.

The reason Thrawn originally contacted the Empire was to see if it could be used as a potential ally against some of the threats in the Unknown Regions, or if it was best for the Chiss to collapse the Empire into an easy prey for said threats to pounce on while the Ascendancy regrouped and came up with a different strategy.

...But that's neither here nor there. My point was simply that there are several civilizations that prosper in the UR just fine -- the Chiss are merely one of them.

What I was referring to was the sources which stated he was a warlord and had masters who taught him how to fight the threats in the unknown regions.
What I'm talking about is the canon quote from the canon novel that states it was Snoke's knowledge(not raw, and/or military power) that saved the Imperial remnants from the terrors in the Unknown Regions.

He defenitely fought threats in the unknown regions with his arcane knowledge of the force.
Source stating that Snoke threw fisticuffs with the threats in the Unknown Regions..? Because that completely contradicts the novelization.

Now if you want to make things up around it, like, "oh, maybe they weren't the same threats we're being warned about," or "maybe he didn't actually have the power to fight them, but just the knowledge!", then that's consistent with logic, but there's really no reason to believe it.
I'm simply giving you a likely possibility, lol. Thrawn explicitly stated there were numerous threats within the UR. Since none of these threats have been named at this time, we have absolutely NO idea if those Snoke saved the Imperial remnants from are the same ones that Thrawn was referring to... It was years later, after all. /shrug

And as I mentioned earlier: the "knowledge" that Snoke used to save the Imperial remnants could have been something as simple as guiding them to a stable hyperspace route through the UR, and away from said threats... We don't know one way or the other at this point.

That is a valid interpretation of the quote, but doesn't it seem like they're using the world "knowledge" as a stand-in for "force abilities" when talking about Snoke?
Not at all.

Given the context of that excerpt, 'knowledge' and 'power' are not meant to be interchangeable/synonymous.

How do you know how powerful they were?
How do you?

That said, I've seen FAR more fodder Padawans in the franchise than I've seen legitimately powerful ones... So there is that precedent. /shrug

You say Rey's potential is untapped, fantastic, it is, but you can't deny she's powerful.
Is Rey powerful relative to the amount of 'training' she's had? Sure. Would she pose a legitimate challenge to most noteworthy Jedi/Sith in the mythos as of TLJ? No, definitely not.

Apropos, Snoke dominating her doesn't equate to some 'teh uber' showing that automatically makes him the most powerful being ever in canon.

You're putting more importance to your sense of logic and speculation than you are to authorial intent. Yeah the few days of training with Luke SHOULDN'T have made her very powerful, but Johnson seems to think it should have, so that should take precendence.
Let me put it another way: absolutely nothing in the film or novel suggests that Luke's 'training' bolstered Rey's powers to any significant extent.

Your speculations about her power =/= fact. Unrealized potential is irrelevant here.

I think he was talking about political power.
That's not how his statement reads at all.

The main thing that I'm looking for is, what do we know FOR SURE about Snoke? And from the quotes by the creators and actors as well as the information we've been presented, it seems they want Snoke to be the most powerful person there ever was.
No irrefutably canon sources glean this conclusion, though.

You're more than welcome to believe this if you so choose. I'm just telling you what we *actually* know about Snoke's power "FOR SURE", without inserting my personal conjecture in the mix.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 10th, 2018 at 03:03 AM

Old Post Jun 10th, 2018 02:55 AM
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Soooo back on topic?

Old Post Jun 10th, 2018 03:31 AM
Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote