KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Thrawn: Alliances

Thrawn: Alliances
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Thrawn: Alliances

Figured I may as well start this...

(please log in to view the image)

quote:
"I have sensed a disturbance in the Force." Ominous words under any circumstances, but all the more so when uttered by Emperor Palpatine.

On Batuu, at the edges of the Unknown Regions, a threat to the Empire is taking root--its existence little more than a glimmer, its consequences as yet unknowable. But it is troubling enough to the Imperial leader to warrant investigation by his most powerful agents: ruthless enforcer Lord Darth Vader and brilliant strategist Grand Admiral Thrawn. Fierce rivals for the emperor's favor, and outspoken adversaries on Imperial affairs--including the Death Star project--the formidable pair seem unlikely partners for such a crucial mission. But the Emperor knows it's not the first time Vader and Thrawn have joined forces. And there's more behind his royal command than either man suspects.

In what seems like a lifetime ago, General Anakin Skywalker of the Galactic Republic, and Commander Mitth'raw'nuruodo, officer of the Chiss Ascendancy, crossed paths for the first time. One on a desperate personal quest, the other with motives unknown... and undisclosed. But facing a gauntlet of dangers on a far-flung world, they forged an uneasy alliance--neither remotely aware of what their futures held in store.

Now, thrust together once more, they find themselves bound again for the planet where they once fought side by side. There they will be doubly challenged--by a test of their allegiance to the Empire... and an enemy that threatens even their combined might.

-Coming July 2018

If this 'threat' in the Unknown Regions doesn't have to do with the Yuuzhan Vong, I'll be surprised. Regardless, I'm anticipating this novel quite a bit... If nothing else the dynamic between Vader and Thrawn should make for a great read.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 12:16 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I look forward to it smile

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 01:21 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Yeah, considering the lack of creativity in the new canon, It's gonna be the Yuuzhan Vong. But Timothy Zahn's writing is just so heaven-sent, and I've been dying to explore the unknown regions...plus, I have a soft spot for this era and these characters. I'm probably going to love this.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 02:36 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Well we also know that Filoni planned to introduce the Vong back in TCW(he even drew preliminary artwork for Vong warriors and their spacecraft), but the show ended before that could happen.

Recycling the Vong into the new canon doesn't bother me that much, because I think Zahn teasing them in this novel could pave the way for some great stories in the future... Especially since we know there are several threats in the Unknown Regions -- the Vong could just be one of them.

But who knows, maybe it will turn out to be something new. /shrug

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 12:12 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

/shrug

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 06:01 PM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

Awesome thumb up

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 06:49 PM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

A teaser from the novel reveals how Thrawn's mind appears through the force:
quote:
And now, finally, Anakin was close enough. Taking a deep breath, he stretched out to the Force.

The intruder wasn't human, though of course Anakin had already guessed that. He was near-human, though, like many other species in the Republic.

But the texture of his mind was unlike anything Anakin had ever touched before. It was neat and well ordered, the patterns of thought flowing smoothly and precisely in ways not unlike those of scientists or mathematicians. But the content of that flow, and the muted emotions accompanying it, were completely opaque. It was like a neat and precise array of unfamiliar numbers.

It also reveals what Thrawn's rank was within the Chiss Ascendancy:
quote:
"You asked my identity. I am now prepared to give it. I am Commander Mitth'raw'nuruodo, officer of the Expansionary Defense Fleet, servant of the Chiss Ascendancy. On behalf of my people, I ask your assistance in learning of this war before it sweeps its disaster over our own worlds."

And I know a thread was already made for this, but the novel's cover art has been finalized:

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by Galan007 on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 07:31 PM

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2018 07:27 PM
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

They look like their backs are to us and their heads are on backwards for some odd reason.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2018 05:10 AM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Abonis

Super excited for this book

Old Post Jul 17th, 2018 02:54 AM
Click here to Send Darth Abonis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Abonis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Trocity
They look like their backs are to us and their heads are on backwards for some odd reason.

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Jul 17th, 2018 07:12 AM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Wtf is with Anakin there? He looks like he feels sad being in Thrawn's presence.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Jul 17th, 2018 06:45 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Don’t he always look sad?

Old Post Jul 18th, 2018 02:55 AM
Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Dumb, yes. But not sad. But it's understandable in this case.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Jul 19th, 2018 12:55 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheIndyJedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
Wtf is with Anakin there? He looks like he feels sad being in Thrawn's presence.

Because he knows Thrawn likes sand

Old Post Jul 19th, 2018 03:27 PM
Click here to Send TheIndyJedi a Private Message Find more posts by TheIndyJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

You are right. There is sand in the picture.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2018 05:02 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

So the threat in this novel isn't the Yuuzhan Vong(thank God); it's a new species called the "Grysk".

quote:
"What are Grysk?" Vader asked.

"Grysks are a species living somewhere in the Unknown Regions," Thrawn said. "Creatures half of myth, whom few have ever seen. It is said they are nomads, with no fixed home, travelling in spacecraft so numerous they blot out the stars. They are said to be terrifying warriors, overwhelming their opponents by sheer numbers and ferocity."

-Thrawn: Alliances

They're a mildly force-sensitive warrior/conqueror race, described as "a wide-shouldered creature with angled brow ridges, a tapered skull, and deep-set eyes", and also have some very interesting technology at their disposal. Aside from that, we were given no direct characterization of any of their members.

However, they have been studying the Empire since the Clone Wars, and stand ready to invade it as of the end of this novel(which is set between Season 3 and Season 4 of Rebels.) Thrawn believes them to be a legitimate threat to both the Empire AND Chiss Ascendancy.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jul 24th, 2018 at 08:57 PM

Old Post Jul 24th, 2018 08:54 PM
Zenwolf

Sounds like a mix of Jedi/Sith(Force Users), CIS(overwhelming enemies with shear numbers) and Mandos(nomads). I’m sure this’ll go over well if they get introduced.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2018 09:03 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

The Grysk are the main antagonists of this novel, and were behind the "disturbance" that Palpatine sensed in the force.

I expect they'll be fully fleshed-out in subsequent novels, but even here...where they were intentionally left a bit more vague...it's still clear that they represent a very significant threat. It was implied that the Chiss Ascendancy > the Empire, and Thrawn regarded the Grysk as threats to BOTH simultaneously. So yeah.

There is already speculation that Snoke is a Grysk, lol.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jul 24th, 2018 at 09:25 PM

Old Post Jul 24th, 2018 09:21 PM
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

This is very very interesting. Also chiss>Empire? Really?

Old Post Jul 24th, 2018 10:14 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

I should've known better than to come to this thread the day the book got released, lol.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2018 10:29 PM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote