KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Thrawn: Alliances

Thrawn: Alliances
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sheev
The All-Sith

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
Does this not prove that Jedi and Sith can use their precog to make them FTL?

And if Vader can navigate through the Unknown Regions by himself, then why was Sidious so hesitant to explore those regions further?

Last edited by Sheev on Jul 31st, 2018 at 01:13 PM

Old Post Jul 31st, 2018 01:00 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Sheev
Does this not prove that Jedi and Sith can use their precog to make them FTL?

And if Vader can navigate through the Unknown Regions by himself, then why was Sidious so hesitant to explore those regions further?
It proves that Vader, with no practice whatsoever, was able to successfully use his precog to navigate through a very dangerous portion of space while moving at light speed -- a task not even nav computers and astromech droids were capable of.

As for why Palpatine didn't try and explore the Unknown Regions personally: bear in mind that only Vader and Palpatine himself would have been powerful enough to do so, and they could only pilot one vessel at a time through it... Which is horribly inefficient.

Additionally, with the growing threat the Rebels were posing to his Empire around that time, I imagine that Palpatine felt it best to keep his key assets close to the problem at hand, instead of sending them on random missions into deep space just to indulge his own curiosities. After all, Thrawn was helping Palpatine map the Unknown Regions on the side, so there wasn't really a need for him to try and explore it directly... Though I imagine that Palpatine considered Thrawn's premature 'departure' at the end of Rebels to be a HUGE loss, of which severely hindered his own plans/goals.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jul 31st, 2018 at 05:31 PM

Old Post Jul 31st, 2018 05:26 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheIndyJedi

Is this book worth getting? I'm hearing its not as good as the 1st Thrawn book

Old Post Jul 31st, 2018 05:30 PM
Click here to Send TheIndyJedi a Private Message Find more posts by TheIndyJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

From a storytelling standpoint, the first Thrawn novel was indeed superior, imo.

Alliances is still a great read, however, and introduces a few concepts that will undoubtedly be integral to future stories. So if you're interested in current canon, it is definitely a must-read.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jul 31st, 2018 at 05:38 PM

Old Post Jul 31st, 2018 05:34 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Not as good but still worth a read.

( A post by Syndiciate )

"I killed them, of course. Just as I killed the Guardian. Just as I now kill you."

Old Post Aug 1st, 2018 01:22 AM
Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

It proves that Vader, with no practice whatsoever, was able to successfully use his precog to navigate through a very dangerous portion of space while moving at light speed -- a task not even nav computers and astromech droids were capable of.

As for why Palpatine didn't try and explore the Unknown Regions personally: bear in mind that only Vader and Palpatine himself would have been powerful enough to do so, and they could only pilot one vessel at a time through it... Which is horribly inefficient.

Additionally, with the growing threat the Rebels were posing to his Empire around that time, I imagine that Palpatine felt it best to keep his key assets close to the problem at hand, instead of sending them on random missions into deep space just to indulge his own curiosities. After all, Thrawn was helping Palpatine map the Unknown Regions on the side, so there wasn't really a need for him to try and explore it directly... Though I imagine that Palpatine considered Thrawn's premature 'departure' at the end of Rebels to be a HUGE loss, of which severely hindered his own plans/goals.
That is a huge feat for Vader.

Sure, but couldnt they have piloted vessel after vessel through the unknown regions? i mean, if the unknown regions were that important to Sidious youd think he would have wanted to explore them at all costs. confused

Dont you think the Inquisitors could have also done this? that would have helped lighten the load at least LOL.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 01:27 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Sure, but couldnt they have piloted vessel after vessel through the unknown regions? i mean, if the unknown regions were that important to Sidious youd think he would have wanted to explore them at all costs. confused

Dont you think the Inquisitors could have also done this? that would have helped lighten the load at least LOL.

The Inquisitors apart from like...2 have been completely worthless in the new Canon, so I doubt they could do anything.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 02:01 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Zenwolf
apart from like...2

GI and 7th Sis?

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 02:14 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

It is indeed a good precog feat for Vader, due to the speed at which he was moving, and the sheer number of obstacles he would've had to dodge... And he was piloting a massive Star Destroyer through all that chaos, to boot.

Again, taking one vessel at a time through the Unknown Regions is horribly inefficient. Aside from the fact that the UR are vast, Palpatine also never really knew exactly where he needed to go. He knew the UR held secrets/truths about the force that he wanted, and eventually sensed *something* there calling to him, but that's about it. Pretty vague.

That said, it would have likely taken Palpatine, and/or Vader a good deal of time to find what Palpatine himself was looking for. However, the problem with them going on a lengthy adventure through the UR is twofold:

a.) Searching the UR would have taken either Palpatine himself or Vader away from their duties to the Empire... And with the growing threat the Rebels posed to the Empire around that time, it wasn't really feasible for either of them to leave for god knows how long. Granted Palpatine wanted what the UR had to offer, but he also wanted to hold onto what he already had.

b.) As mentioned, they would have only been able to navigate one vessel at a time through the UR. Even if each of them piloted a massive flagship(like an ISD), their resources/firepower are still very finite. Also keep in mind that the ever-changing landscape of the UR isn't the only thing that makes it so treacherous. There are also, according to Thrawn, a number of other threats lurking there(I'm talking about threats of the sentient type) -- which could almost certainly disable/overwhelm a single vessel, no matter how large.

That's why Thrawn was so very important to Palpatine. Thrawn knew the few somewhat stable hyperlanes that ran through the UR, as well as the "safe-havens" within it. As mentioned, Thrawn being abruptly removed from play was undoubtedly a HUGE blow to Palpatine's underlying machinations/goals. Because without Thrawn's knowledge, there was really no way for the Empire to safely navigate through the UR, and thus no way for Palpatine to safely learn its secrets.

Originally posted by Zenwolf
The Inquisitors apart from like...2 have been completely worthless in the new Canon, so I doubt they could do anything.
thumb up

And even the couple of decent Inquisitors do not have precog feats that are indicative of them being able to successfully navigate through the UR while moving through hyperspace.

Last edited by Galan007 on Aug 2nd, 2018 at 03:47 PM

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 03:34 PM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Darth Thor
GI and 7th Sis?

Pretty much yeah.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 03:44 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don’t understand why the inquisitors are so weak...they’re taught by Vader, they’re saber skills should be superb

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 04:16 PM
Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

If there is no potential, you can be trained by the Father and still you will only be that strong. Otherwise all the Jedi should have had “superb saber skills” since yoda trained most of them

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 05:27 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

It is indeed a good precog feat for Vader, due to the speed at which he was moving, and the sheer number of obstacles he would've had to dodge... And he was piloting a massive Star Destroyer through all that chaos, to boot.

Again, taking one vessel at a time through the Unknown Regions is horribly inefficient. Aside from the fact that the UR are vast, Palpatine also never really knew exactly where he needed to go. He knew the UR held secrets/truths about the force that he wanted, and eventually sensed *something* there calling to him, but that's about it. Pretty vague.

That said, it would have likely taken Palpatine, and/or Vader a good deal of time to find what Palpatine himself was looking for. However, the problem with them going on a lengthy adventure through the UR is twofold:

a.) Searching the UR would have taken either Palpatine himself or Vader away from their duties to the Empire... And with the growing threat the Rebels posed to the Empire around that time, it wasn't really feasible for either of them to leave for god knows how long. Granted Palpatine wanted what the UR had to offer, but he also wanted to hold onto what he already had.

b.) As mentioned, they would have only been able to navigate one vessel at a time through the UR. Even if each of them piloted a massive flagship(like an ISD), their resources/firepower are still very finite. Also keep in mind that the ever-changing landscape of the UR isn't the only thing that makes it so treacherous. There are also, according to Thrawn, a number of other threats lurking there(I'm talking about threats of the sentient type) -- which could almost certainly disable/overwhelm a single vessel, no matter how large.

That's why Thrawn was so very important to Palpatine. Thrawn knew the few somewhat stable hyperlanes that ran through the UR, as well as the "safe-havens" within it. As mentioned, Thrawn being abruptly removed from play was undoubtedly a HUGE blow to Palpatine's underlying machinations/goals. Because without Thrawn's knowledge, there was really no way for the Empire to safely navigate through the UR, and thus no way for Palpatine to safely learn its secrets.

thumb up

And even the couple of decent Inquisitors do not have precog feats that are indicative of them being able to successfully navigate through the UR while moving through hyperspace.
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. thumb up

But since Thrawns knowledge was so valuable for Sidious I'm surprised he didn't just pull it out of his mind. I assume Sith still have uber telepathy in canon right?

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 08:18 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

This novel made it clear that not even a a force-user of Vader's caliber can even begin to decipher Thrawn's mind, let alone pull anything useful out of it:
quote:
For a moment Thrawn remained silent. Vader could feel the flow of his thoughts and emotions, the orderly mix of what seemed to be calculation and caution. There might have been some annoyance, as well, but the Chiss's mind was still maddeningly closed to Vader's understanding.

-Thrawn: Alliances

I can only assume Palpatine would've encountered the same basic challenge if he attempted mind-phuckery on Thrawn. /shrug

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 09:30 PM
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

he must have been a very good admiral. i heard he can best obi won in close combat.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2018 05:05 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

So do we actually know how many threats there are in the unknown regions or are the Grysk the only legitimate threat to the Empire out there?

Old Post Aug 12th, 2018 07:27 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ While we don't have an exact number, we do know there are several threats to the Empire lurking in the Unknown Regions -- the Grysk are just one of them:
quote:
"When I was first brought before the Emperor," Thrawn said at last, his voice calm, "I warned him there were many dangers waiting to strike from the Unknown Regions. He took me at my word."

-Thrawn: Alliances

Old Post Aug 12th, 2018 07:51 PM
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

^ While we don't have an exact number, we do know there are several threats to the Empire lurking in the Unknown Regions -- the Grysk are just one of them:

did they really stand a threat or did they just hate the empire.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2018 05:29 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Thrawn still considered them legitimate threats to the Empire even after he was aware of the power that Palpatine and Vader wielded, along with the Death Star and its capabilities.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2018 03:08 PM
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

Thrawn still considered them legitimate threats to the Empire even after he was aware of the power that Palpatine and Vader wielded, along with the Death Star and its capabilities.

why did he believ that they were threats, did he have nothing more important to do at the time so he just went for them?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2018 05:10 PM