KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » DOOM: Eternal

DOOM: Eternal
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I didn't say boring. I just said more of the same.

I'm criticizing the videos themselves....not the game.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2018 04:10 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji
Noticing its alot more like the older Doom's having you to look for the ammo & health, Rather then do a fatality move on the enemies like the previous game to get alot of that sort of stuff.

The glory kills on enemies didnt give you that much health honestly. There was definitely still use for health packs, but if theyre upping the difficulty here by giving you less for melee kills, can live with that too.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2018 06:27 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

SHould have been called Eternal Doom!

Old Post Aug 12th, 2018 06:59 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yes, Eternal Doom is a much better name!

Old Post Aug 12th, 2018 01:09 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by Smasandian
Sure.....I buy FIFA every year?
If you've bought any sports game iteration twice in a five year span my point stands you animal

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Aug 13th, 2018 04:00 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Suppose I should leave this here...

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 13th, 2018 12:50 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Doom/Doom II is the only Doom worth playing.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2018 02:11 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

So says the hipster.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2018 02:28 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Kazenji
So says the hipster.

So says the authentic old guy, who was playing around with his nes/psx consoles
and never once considered them "retro". smile

I'm so old, when I played Doom, I used a flight stick. None of that newfangled wsad mouse look.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Last edited by cdtm on Aug 19th, 2018 at 01:49 AM

Old Post Aug 19th, 2018 01:47 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

Originally posted by cdtm
So says the authentic old guy, who was playing around with his nes/psx consoles
and never once considered them "retro". smile

I'm so old, when I played Doom, I used a flight stick. None of that newfangled wsad mouse look.

So you're a hipster, then 😁

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Aug 19th, 2018 02:15 AM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Hipsters are kids, pretending to like their parents great grandparents things.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2018 02:31 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Still makes you a hipster.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2018 02:40 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Dude most of the time I can banter with you on Dragon's Dogma, but saying DOOM is shit is just crossing the line, it's a massive achievement that pretty much every classic DOOM fan loved.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Aug 19th, 2018 04:00 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

More on topic, this game is, naturally, getting some controversy among some people due to how it parodies political correctness. i.e.

"Remember, demon is an offensive term. Please refer to them as 'mortally challenged'."

"Earth is the melting pot of the universe."

Basically, the in-game PSA's saying that political correctness let the demons invade earth... It is kind of an on-the-nose reference or jab to immigration policies, tho I don't mind it being the premise to this essential Doom II reboot.

It is kinda interesting how they're going there IMO. Wouldn't mind seeing some subplot about some group of humans trying to fight for demons' rights, and how it backfires. lol

In the end though, the UAC have kinda always been the real bad guys, who want to extract Hell energy no matter the cost or casualties, and so they may just be trying to downplay demons (comparing them to minorities or somesuch) to gain sympathy.

It's an interesting contrast to some real life shit going on, regardless. Perhaps the biggest parody in all of this, is that the Doom universe's big corporation (UAC) would rather harvest Hell energy than utilize more nature friendly energies.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2018 05:27 AM
cdtm

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
More on topic, this game is, naturally, getting some controversy among some people due to how it parodies political correctness. i.e.

"Remember, demon is an offensive term. Please refer to them as 'mortally challenged'."

"Earth is the melting pot of the universe."

Basically, the in-game PSA's saying that political correctness let the demons invade earth... It is kind of an on-the-nose reference or jab to immigration policies, tho I don't mind it being the premise to this essential Doom II reboot.

It is kinda interesting how they're going there IMO. Wouldn't mind seeing some subplot about some group of humans trying to fight for demons' rights, and how it backfires. lol

In the end though, the UAC have kinda always been the real bad guys, who want to extract Hell energy no matter the cost or casualties, and so they may just be trying to downplay demons (comparing them to minorities or somesuch) to gain sympathy.

It's an interesting contrast to some real life shit going on, regardless. Perhaps the biggest parody in all of this, is that the Doom universe's big corporation (UAC) would rather harvest Hell energy than utilize more nature friendly energies.

Unless you're writing South Park, you shouldn't do social commentary. It's always painful, and it dates the product.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2018 01:51 PM
Jmanghan

Old Post Nov 14th, 2018 11:49 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Doom 2016 is better though.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2018 12:40 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by NemeBro
Doom 2016 is better though.

Depends on your definition, I guess.

I only played the Demo, and in terms of gameplay.. it's alright.

Don't really see how it stands out over, say, every shooter from 1994 onward. I prefer the original System Shock myself, as best fps ever made, but it hasn't aged too well.

The thing about Doom classic, is the mods are SO good. And I don't mean gameplay changes either, I mean community maps.. The type that top loads in a ridiculous amount of mobs.

Gameplay in those is pure non stop adrenaline unlike any other fps can really put out. No reloading, no stopping to move for a second, enough sprites to break a 2000 pc.

"But those are mods."

Fair enough. The core gameplay in Thy Flesh Consumed and Doom II is still just s better pure fps experience, imo. No gimmicks, no fancy pants animations or weapons, no real story, no stopping to think. It's like a bullet hell shmup in 3d.

That's not something you can say about peers of the day, like Duke Nukem 3d, Serious Sam, Shadow Warrior.. They all had some stupid gimmick or cheap design choices that made it less of a bullet hell rush, and more of a some combination of tactical gameplay, or out and out cheapness (Hitscan characters from waaaay across the map picking you off, for example.)

Old Post Nov 15th, 2018 01:34 AM
NemeBro

Depends on your definition, I guess.

I only played the Demo
lol

Old Post Nov 15th, 2018 06:12 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

I didn't say boring. I just said more of the same.

I'm criticizing the videos themselves....not the game.
The game does not look fun at all.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2018 07:28 AM