KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Imperial promotion question?

Imperial promotion question?
Started by: Sheev

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sheev
The All-Sith

Imperial promotion question?

I was just reading Republic Commando and the Storm Troopers were talking about "carreer soldiers" and whatnot. So it got me wondering- how long does it actually take for someone to promote up the ranks in the Imperial military? I'm talking about going from lower ranks like recruits, to higher ranks like captain and colonel...or the highest ranks like admiral and general?

Old Post Jun 18th, 2018 11:03 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Promoting up through the ranks was typically a decades-long endeavor for most(hence "career soldiers".) For example, it usually took 10-15 years just for most Imperials to promote from Lieutenant to Captain. Nevermind Captain to Commodore to Admiral to Grand Admiral. etc. etc.

...Unless your natural aptitude in tactics/strategy/leadership makes you a distinct prodigy, of course. In those cases you get fast-tracked up the ladder immensely.

*see Thrawn, who went from an Academy cadet to a friggin Grand Admiral in less than 10 years.* Lol.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 19th, 2018 12:46 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Pretty sure Tarkin was also fast tracked, but he knew Sidious personally and was favored.

At Galan Yup that was pretty cool in the cartoons, Thrawn was promoted by the emperor himself after some huge victory for the empire.

I think a lot of the old republic brass who stayed loyal to Sidious were also heavily promoted.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2018 01:07 AM
Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Thrawn's victory at Batonn is what prompted Palpatine to promote him to a Grand Admiral.

...Though that battle was more of a mess than Thrawn would've liked, given the sheer number of unwanted/civilian casualties(which were a direct result of Pryce's ineptitude, btw.)

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 20th, 2018 12:28 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote