KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Rey is Learning...

Rey is Learning...
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

I thought Rey didnt need training. She just needed Kylo to train then the Force would simply Make Rey his equal.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2018 11:35 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

According to Snoke and Luke, Rey possess the same raw strength as Kylo.

However, raw power/potential doesn't mean a whole lot if you have no clue how to actually use it. Rey needs a teacher --both Kylo and Luke said as much-- and evidently her 'teacher' will be in the form of these primordial Jedi texts that she has a metaphysical connection to.

...Though I think it'd be great if Luke's ghost appeared to Rey and helped connect the dots/gaps in her training as well. /shrug

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 21st, 2018 at 11:47 PM

Old Post Jun 21st, 2018 11:45 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mendax
Hand of God

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
and evidently her 'teacher' will be in the form of these primordial Jedi texts that she has a metaphysical connection to.
What's your take on this? going by the quote u posted on the last page she does have a strong connection to them. I wonder why?

Old Post Jun 21st, 2018 11:53 PM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

However, raw power/potential doesn't mean a whole lot if you have no clue how to actually use it. Rey needs a teacher --both Kylo and Luke said as much-- and evidently her 'teacher' will be in the form of these primordial Jedi texts that she has a metaphysical connection to.

...Though I think it'd be great if Luke's ghost appeared to Rey and helped connect the dots/gaps in her training as well. /shrug

Maybe it'll be Yoda, since he's gonna appear to her, unless he just appears to tell her what a great Jedi she is according to articles, not sure how that adds up but ok...books being her teachers seem really...lackluster given who she is suppose to be in this new series.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Jun 22nd, 2018 at 12:02 AM

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2018 12:00 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Mendax
What's your take on this? going by the quote u posted on the last page she does have a strong connection to them. I wonder why?
Rey is essentially the will of the cosmic force made manifest. A means of balance.

Clearly she is connected to the books on a very deep level. The force itself drew her to the books, and wanted her to have them.

I believe that the force wants to be 'reset'. It wants her to learn the ways of the ancient(and possibly more 'pure') Jedi. It wants her to use that knowledge as the basis for what she will inevitably become(and ultimately pass-on.)

Imo.

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Maybe it'll be Yoda, since he's gonna appear to her, unless he just appears to tell her what a great Jedi she is according to articles, not sure how that adds up but ok...books being her teachers seem really...lackluster given who she is suppose to be in this new series.
I don't mind it, because the 'Disney alternative' would be Rey appearing in Episode IX with her knowledge/power massively increased, and no explanation given for the sudden boost... At least this is *something*. /shrug

Aside from that, it's not like it'd be an unprecedented plot-point. I mean, that's basically how Luke acquired the bulk of his knowledge as well: holocrons and books. Granted, he had received a bit more formal training from Yoda beforehand, but that training was still very much incomplete. /shrug

But yeah, it'd be cool for Yoda's ghost to instruct Rey as well -- seeing him train one last generation of Jedi before he sublimates into the force permanently. thumb up

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 22nd, 2018 at 12:35 AM

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2018 12:20 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Rey is essentially the will of the cosmic force made manifest. A means of balance.

Clearly she is connected to the books on a very deep level. The force itself drew her to the books, and wanted her to have them.

I believe that the force wants to be 'reset'. It wants her to learn the ways of the ancient(and possibly more 'pure') Jedi. It wants her to use that knowledge as the basis for what she will inevitably become(and ultimately pass-on.)

Imo.

I don't mind it, because the 'Disney alternative' would be Rey appearing in Episode IX with her knowledge/power massively increased, and no explanation given for the sudden boost... At least this is *something*. /shrug

Aside from that, it's not like it'd be an unprecedented plot-point. I mean, that's basically how Luke acquired the bulk of his knowledge as well: holocrons and books. Granted, he had received a bit more formal training from Yoda beforehand, but that training was still very much incomplete. /shrug

But yeah, it'd be cool for Yoda's ghost to instruct Rey as well -- seeing him train one last generation of Jedi before he sublimates into the force permanently. thumb up

That and Luke also appears to be learning from other Force sects and teachers if the comics are anything to go by.

But I mean fair enough, the lack of Force Users in the ST seem apparent(not sure how, but ok) so sure books teaching her are at least something it just doesn't seem...personal? I suppose, along with her downloading Kylo's mind(I couldn't type that with a straight face tbh).

As far as Yoda teaching her? Eh...that would be weird given how is she suppose to even know about him? Unless he just appears to her because reasons. Honestly though my optimism is kinda low for the next movie after what TLJ did.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Jun 22nd, 2018 at 12:44 AM

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2018 12:42 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I agree with most of what you said. Frankly I'm just trying to rationalize the ST at this point, lol.

Indeed Luke's learning was pretty diverse(albeit hands-off)... The bulk of his knowledge likely stemmed from the numerous holocrons/texts he found in Jocasta's makeshift classroom, though. That woman was *the* single most knowledgeable being in existence, across *all* areas of the force(both light and dark)... As Sheev himself said: "Jocasta Nu knows EVERYTHING." If Luke inherited even a fraction of her knowledge, I can understand why Snoke feared his return... But that's neithere here nor there.

My point is just that a great deal of knowledge/power can be gleaned from the ancient books that Rey is studying -- especially when we consider the possibility that the texts are SO ancient that she could be learning shit that had been long-forgotten by the previous Jedi Order. She could be learning entirely new methodologies, ideals, and even abilities.

...I'm intrigued to see where this goes, tbh.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 22nd, 2018 at 01:17 AM

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2018 01:08 AM
Zenwolf

I agree with most of what you said. Frankly I'm just trying to rationalize the ST at this point, lol.

Indeed Luke's learning was pretty diverse(albeit hands-off)... The bulk of his knowledge likely stemmed from the numerous holocrons/texts he found in Jocasta's makeshift classroom, though. That woman was *the* single most knowledgeable being in existence, across *all* areas of the force(both light and dark)... As Sheev himself said: "Jocasta Nu knows EVERYTHING." If Luke inherited even a fraction of her knowledge, I can understand why Snoke feared his return... But that's neithere here nor there.

My point is just that a great deal of knowledge/power can be gleaned from the ancient books that Rey is studying -- especially when we consider the possibility that the texts are SO ancient that she could be learning shit that had been long-forgotten by the previous Jedi Order. She could be learning entirely new methodologies, ideals, and even abilities.

...I'm intrigued to see where this goes, tbh.

I guess we'll see what's what, but again not holding my breath too much.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2018 01:18 AM
Zentrex
Hi!

Originally posted by Darth Thor
I thought Rey didnt need training. She just needed Kylo to train then the Force would simply Make Rey his equal.

Pretty much, but knowledge and training are different. And there's also lightsaber training, although she already knows her way around a weapon from Jakku. Though she's not as good as Kylo as we see from the Preatorian fight, so maybe she could use more.

I think of it as being in different categories
-force power
-force knowledge
-control over the force

She has the most potential, as in the most raw power, but she and Kylo both have as much command of the force as each other (darkness rises and the light to meet it, and Kylo didn't know that Rey shared a bond with him and would rise to meet his level). The books will teach her knowledge, and Luke's ghost will probably teach her more control. And I'm pretty sure Luke's gonna be there, 'cause he said "See you around, kid."

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2018 07:38 PM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Essentially, her Jedi 'fundamentals' are comings from some of the most ancient sources in existence. She could potentially learn things that have been lost for generations... Or at the very least she's learning from sources that are presumably more 'raw' in their teachings. /shrug
(please log in to view the image)

So don't be surprised when Rey pulls some never before seen powers out of her ass, cuz ancient Jedi texts. thumb up

Old Post Sep 24th, 2018 01:02 AM
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Ezra learned skills from Jedi holocrons. Such as saber lessons from Anakin Skywalker.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2018 09:53 AM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Yeah but Ezra was getting trained by another Jedi.

Reys whole rise to power has been BS. Mostly because there was no rise. She just was.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2018 10:16 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I liken it to Bane learning far more from studying Revan's holocron for a short time than he ever did at the Sith Academy on Korriban. /shrug

...I'm really just making up excuses to explain her inevitable massive rise in power next film, though.

Last edited by Galan007 on Sep 24th, 2018 at 01:06 PM

Old Post Sep 24th, 2018 12:15 PM
One Big Mob
Dead

Rey will be tossing Star Destroyers hopefully next film

Old Post Sep 24th, 2018 12:28 PM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by One Big Mob
Rey will be tossing Star Destroyers hopefully next film

Pfft Rey can already do that.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2018 12:29 PM
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Pfft Rey can already do that.
In don’t think that she is Starkiller level yet.

Even with that, it was a bit of an exaggeration...

Old Post Sep 24th, 2018 01:44 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

I liken it to Bane learning far more from studying Revan's holocron for a short time than he ever did at the Sith Academy on Korriban. /shrug

...I'm really just making up excuses to explain her inevitable massive rise in power next film, though.

Why though?

Old Post Sep 24th, 2018 03:45 PM
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Am I the only one who think she is sub Plo Koon and the likes level

Old Post Sep 24th, 2018 05:17 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

ib4 Rey moves a star

Old Post Sep 24th, 2018 06:24 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Underachiever59

So... Out of curiosity, I kinda wonder how many people here are complaining about Rey's growth, but have never complained about Nomi Sunrider. Or Kyle Katarn. Or any of the other many examples in Legends of characters who have never used a lightsaber before suddenly being able to fight equally with trained combatants.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2018 07:25 PM
Click here to Send Underachiever59 a Private Message Find more posts by Underachiever59 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote