KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Rey is Learning...

Rey is Learning...
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Underachiever59
So... Out of curiosity, I kinda wonder how many people here are complaining about Rey's growth, but have never complained about Nomi Sunrider. Or Kyle Katarn. Or any of the other many examples in Legends of characters who have never used a lightsaber before suddenly being able to fight equally with trained combatants.
Now that an explanation can actually be given for her inevitable growth in the next film(ie. studying ancient texts from which she can learn new truths and abilities about the force), I don't have an issue with it.

It's better than the alternative, which is no explanation at all.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Sep 24th, 2018 at 08:27 PM

Old Post Sep 24th, 2018 07:50 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Underachiever59

Originally posted by Galan007
Now that an explanation can actually be given for her inevitable growth in the next film(ie. studying ancient texts from which she can learn new truths and abilities about the force), I don't have an issue with it.

It's better than the alternative, which is no explanation at all.

I'm on your side here, man. Honestly, what I'm getting is that there are tons of characters in Legends who are well known and even beloved by the fanbase who have just as little explanation for their growth as Rey currently does. At least Rey, you can kind of justify if you think about it a bit. But characters like Nomi Sunrider, who had absolutely no training? And then went, picked up a lightsaber, and was killing pirates and using freaking battle meditation immediately.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2018 11:05 PM
Click here to Send Underachiever59 a Private Message Find more posts by Underachiever59 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Yeah but Ezra was getting trained by another Jedi.

Reys whole rise to power has been BS. Mostly because there was no rise. She just was.
True, but technically Kanan wasn't a Jedi himself but he had a lot of training and experience during the Clone Wars.

Having those various Jedi holocrons around would certainly help with training. Heck if Yoda recorded sessions and Mace Windu recorded sessions a guy could pick up a lot without even training with a real Jedi.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2018 12:19 AM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

I'm on your side here, man. Honestly, what I'm getting is that there are tons of characters in Legends who are well known and even beloved by the fanbase who have just as little explanation for their growth as Rey currently does. At least Rey, you can kind of justify if you think about it a bit. But characters like Nomi Sunrider, who had absolutely no training? And then went, picked up a lightsaber, and was killing pirates and using freaking battle meditation immediately.

Eh she only killed 2 of the 3, the 3rd ran away and you could say they weren't really prepared seeing as they were mocking her about it and it was the only time before being trained in lightsaber combat. I wouldn't really say she was fighting a peer opponent as you suggested, the BM was only a rare occurrence(though I'll give you), it's not like she was able to do it at any given time.

Plus Nomi was trained by Thon, so she doesn't have little explanation as to how she grew.

Rey is fine now I guess, though the whole Matrix download thing with Kylo's mind was a little cheesy...don't see why she just couldn't have learned from Luke. I'm abit more annoyed with how staff training = sword training, when the two are very different....like really they should have had her just learn by Luke..or if they really wanted, have Rey have a staff lightsaber, that would have been easier to understand.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Sep 25th, 2018 at 01:52 AM

Old Post Sep 25th, 2018 01:45 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Maybe ghost Luke will still train her?

Old Post Sep 25th, 2018 08:46 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Total Warrior
Maybe ghost Luke will still train her?

My only issue with that would be, then why didnt ghost Ben train Luke in the OT?

Old Post Sep 25th, 2018 10:51 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Underachiever59

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Eh she only killed 2 of the 3, the 3rd ran away and you could say they weren't really prepared seeing as they were mocking her about it and it was the only time before being trained in lightsaber combat. I wouldn't really say she was fighting a peer opponent as you suggested, the BM was only a rare occurrence(though I'll give you), it's not like she was able to do it at any given time.

Plus Nomi was trained by Thon, so she doesn't have little explanation as to how she grew.

Rey is fine now I guess, though the whole Matrix download thing with Kylo's mind was a little cheesy...don't see why she just couldn't have learned from Luke. I'm abit more annoyed with how staff training = sword training, when the two are very different....like really they should have had her just learn by Luke..or if they really wanted, have Rey have a staff lightsaber, that would have been easier to understand.

The second time Nomi picked up a lightsaber, she killed far more than the initial two after her husband died. Sure, Thon had been trying to mentor her, but she explicitly hadn't been training with a lightsaber by that point in time. When pirates came to Ambria, and Thon surrendered himself to them, Nomi charged in to face at least a dozen pirates, breaking through their ranks to free Thon. We see her strike down at least 5 or 6 in the panels, with the description claiming she "cuts down adversary after adversary". While fighting against pirates isn't really the most impressive feat, we've seen far better trained Jedi fall to far fewer nameless opponents than what Nomi was able to fight off with absolutely no lightsaber training.

As for staff training translating to lightsaber training, I'm personally fine with it. Learning footwork, timing, and distance is pretty much 50% of most martial arts, and those translate from one fighting style to another rather universally. Sure, what you do with your hands changes depending on what you're holding, but as long as you can judge distance and maintain footwork and timing, you can at least somewhat handle a radically different weapon from what you've trained with. This is the same reason Finn holds his own against Kylo Ren as well as he did.

Besides that, Rey was getting stomped initially, so it's not like she was instantly a master duelist. It's only when Rey opens herself fully to the Force that she gains an upper hand, like we see countless times throughout Star Wars. And even then, Rey "gaining the upper hand" basically translates to her being way more aggressive and repeatedly throwing the same downward strike until Kylo Ren's stamina fails him and he leaves an opening.

I do agree that the knowledge download from Kylo Ren is a poor explanation for Rey, but at least it is an explanation. And I get why they didn't have Luke train Rey, because that pretty much ran counter to Luke's story in 8. I'm really hoping in 9 that Rey uses a saberstaff. It would just work way better for her character.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2018 07:17 PM
Click here to Send Underachiever59 a Private Message Find more posts by Underachiever59 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RealistRacism
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why are we pretending that Rey is a real thing?

Old Post Sep 27th, 2018 12:35 PM
Click here to Send RealistRacism a Private Message Find more posts by RealistRacism Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Because unfortunately for us she is, like it or not

Old Post Sep 27th, 2018 12:43 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Old Post Sep 19th, 2019 05:54 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Rey doesn't act like she does in TLJ there at all.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Sep 19th, 2019 10:08 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

thumb up

She comes off like an arrogant little b*tch there.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2019 10:39 PM
Zenwolf

I don’t get this timeline at all, I recall Luke not even bothering to actually do anything with Rey, just talking and the rest of the time we never get any indication that he worked with her on anything.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2019 11:52 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

So... Out of curiosity, I kinda wonder how many people here are complaining about Rey's growth, but have never complained about Nomi Sunrider. Or Kyle Katarn. Or any of the other many examples in Legends of characters who have never used a lightsaber before suddenly being able to fight equally with trained combatants.

none of that was ever in the main films or the main canon before therefore fall under a much lower level of scrutiny

Old Post Sep 20th, 2019 12:27 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I don't get this timeline at all, I recall Luke not even bothering to actually do anything with Rey, just talking and the rest of the time we never get any indication that he worked with her on anything.
The TLJ novelization expands on her time on the island a bit. In short, there was more to her training than what we saw in the film -- a few more 'lessons' from Luke.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2019 09:01 AM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

SW Adventures #26(yes, canon) will expand on Rey's training on Ahch-To a bit...

Preview:
(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

no expression

And I thought that part couldn't get any worse...

Old Post Sep 20th, 2019 07:14 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

The TLJ novelization expands on her time on the island a bit. In short, there was more to her training than what we saw in the film -- a few more 'lessons' from Luke.

Gotta love how the EU has to flat out contradict the films to try and explain this nonsense.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2019 08:41 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Doesn't that contradict the movie?(Then again, I guess it wouldn't be the first time they've done this) I only saw it once, so if I'm missing something then ok. But I recall only talking to her about The Force and what not, then moved onto the Jedi Order....then it just seemed like he wasn't around her and we see her by herself most of the time while Luke was just off doing his own thing.

Plus wasn't the Resistance running on like...what 6-12 hrs of time? How much time was expanded here?

Last edited by Zenwolf on Sep 20th, 2019 at 09:11 PM

Old Post Sep 20th, 2019 09:09 PM
Darth Thor

Doesn't that contradict the movie?

Yes. Luke made it clear it was 3 lessons only.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2019 11:13 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Doesn't that contradict the movie?(Then again, I guess it wouldn't be the first time they've done this) I only saw it once, so if I'm missing something then ok. But I recall only talking to her about The Force and what not, then moved onto the Jedi Order....then it just seemed like he wasn't around her and we see her by herself most of the time while Luke was just off doing his own thing.

Plus wasn't the Resistance running on like...what 6-12 hrs of time? How much time was expanded here?
The TLJ Visual Dictionary also hints that Ahch-To has the same sort of time dilation qualities as Mortis and Dagobah:
https://i.imgur.com/sSSMlln.jpg

Which means that Rey's time there may have been... Stretched. /shrug

Last edited by Galan007 on Sep 21st, 2019 at 04:32 PM

Old Post Sep 21st, 2019 04:29 PM