KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » The Off-Topic Forum » The Scam

The Scam
Started by: Wonder Man

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

Cool The Scam

Immortality or Immorality.
Discuss.

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Jun 26th, 2018 02:37 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
walshy
Veteran. Wrestler. Hero

I don't understand, what we meant to discuss? If I'm having to decide between being immortal.. Or immoral, I'm going with immortal

Old Post Jun 26th, 2018 03:44 PM
walshy is currently offline Click here to Send walshy a Private Message Find more posts by walshy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Re: The Scam

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Wonder Man
Immortality or Immorality.
Discuss.
This makes no sense.

Unless you're suggesting that Immortality in some way makes you immoral, which, depending on the situation, may be true, but also might not.

Or you may also be confused with what Immorality is:

Immorality - the state or quality of being immoral; wickedness.
"he believed his father had been punished by God for his immorality"

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jun 26th, 2018 04:33 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Re: Re: The Scam

Originally posted by Jmanghan
This makes no sense.

Makes considerable sense if you're religious, actually.

And PERFECT sense if you happen to be Seventh Day Adventist; though I doubt the poster of this thread topic is.

For they believe 2 deaths awaits all who aren't saved by and actually follow the instruction of Jesus Christ, but believe eternal life (immortality) awaits those who are saved by Him and who DO actually follow His will.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2018 05:12 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

Correct Bluewaterrider. I am a devote chatholic.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2018 08:00 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
walshy
Veteran. Wrestler. Hero

In that case I'm going to hell for sure

Old Post Jun 26th, 2018 10:30 PM
walshy is currently offline Click here to Send walshy a Private Message Find more posts by walshy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

If you're immortal, and can't die, then why would you care about divine judgement when you can't die, meaning you'd never have to face God, and such.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jun 27th, 2018 02:40 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

Por que no los dos?

Old Post Jun 27th, 2018 02:41 AM
Fated Xtasy is currently offline Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Originally posted by Jmanghan
If you're immortal, and can't die, then why would you care about divine judgement when you can't die, meaning you'd never have to face God, and such.

I'm not sure from what perspective you're approaching this, or even whether you're addressing me specifically.

-- Assuming you're addressing this to the general audience purely in the abstract, from a purely non-religious standpoint, I suppose the answer is
"Good question! To the extent that you can minimize your suffering, why WOULD you care about "divine judgement"? What the hell IS that, anyway?"

For an interesting take on the question from that perspective, look up the anime "Mermaid's Scar", and watch as an immortal boy, not only naturally potentially infinitely long-lived, but also possessing the ability to resurrect and heal from lethal damage and doomed likewise not to mature and to outlive any potential friends and family, becomes a truly terrifying villain.

To some extent, this is the temptation/quandary/fill-in-the-blank presented to characters like Juggernaut, Superman, Hulk, Resurrection Man, Wolverine, Sabretooth, Alan Quartermain, Sabertooth, Plutonian, Demona of the "Gargoyles" fame, etcetera, and most of these characters are made by their writers to confront the issue at some point.

-- From a non-religious standpoint, assuming infinite life sans outside lethal damage, similar question. With the exception that, if people ARE able to kill you, you'll want to either be moral enough to avoid lethal justice re tributers being justified in hunting you down and "dealing" with you, or immoral enough to take THEM all down before they can get to you. Mark Waid's character Plutonian from the series "Irredeemable" would seem to fit this bill well.

-- What if there's a completely L'aissez Faire (I have no idea if I'm spelling that term correctly) deity who won't come for you until everyone in existence dies?
Well, you might have found a loophole. Be evil enough and powerful enough, and you could theoretically wipe out all potential rivals and live forever by yourself. You're in trouble if the deity makes you an exception to the rule, though, if you're in fact the agent he uses to complete His master plan.

-- Your argument begins to fall apart if you're taking one of the belief systems considered Christian.
One, there are generally TWO deaths to concern yourself with.
Nearly everyone experiences the first death.
The Second Death?
If you're specifically 7th Day Adventist, and follow the will of Jesus Christ, according to them, there IS no Second death for you. You live forever in true happiness. Welcome to New Heaven and/or New Earth!
If you didn't follow the will of Christ, though, you die a 2nd time. You burn via fire. However, the 7th Day version of this is only a complete burning.
You get whatever punishment you warranted, then are burnt up completely.
After that, all trace of you is gone. There's no more "you" in any sense of the word, including soul, spirit, or consciousness, and hence no suffering once your punishment has been dealt. In this sense, Adventism is arguably one of the most appealing doctrines, and perhaps the fairest that many people would, rightly or wrongly, consider Christian.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2018 06:04 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

God said this scam has been going on since the beginning of time. I can't remember where in the bible He said it but he's right about it weather you believe in Him or not.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2018 03:24 PM