KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » The right to free speech does not give you a right to a platform. -Owen Jones

The right to free speech does not give you a right to a platform. -Owen Jones
Started by: Putinbot1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: The right to free speech does not give you a right to a platform. -Owen Jones

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
Right. Which is why no one forces you to show up to a speech or talk you don't like. If you don't like it, don't show up. If you like it or are curious, show up.

I still haven't figured out why grown adults are simply not capable of not attending a speech given by someone they despise.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2018 08:25 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Playmaker
Mozart and the Whale

Re: The right to free speech does not give you a right to a platform. -Owen Jones

Originally posted by Putinbot1
If the majority of students at a University find Milo disgusting why should they have to have him near them.

1.) The majority don't get to dictate who is and isn't allowed to step foot on a public campus. Private universities can do whatever they want.

2.) Have him near them? You do know that just because there's a speaker on campus, doesn't mean you have to go listen to the speaker. You can stay at home and binge watch Netflix. Problem solved.

3.) Why do you think that student organizations like the YAF (or similar groups) shouldn't be allowed to host a speaker because someone is butthurt about it?

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2018 10:52 PM
Playmaker is currently offline Click here to Send Playmaker a Private Message Find more posts by Playmaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I've never even gone to a speech from someone I actually like.

I don't have a problem with a controversial figure giving a speech at a campus they were invited to. I also don't have a problem with a campus changing their mind if they decide it's not worth the controversy.

Likewise, I don't have a problem with people protesting said speaker, either. As long as they do it peacefully and without violence or attempts at intimidation.

Also likewise, I have zero problem with people kneeling during the national anthem, but it's up to the NFL how they wish to deal with that.

I also don't have a problem with TV personalities being boycotted after saying something that is seen as offensive to the point that their career is threatened because of a loss of advertising revenue. That is capitalism at work.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2018 11:55 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by BackFire
I've never even gone to a speech from someone I actually like.

I don't have a problem with a controversial figure giving a speech at a campus they were invited to. I also don't have a problem with a campus changing their mind if they decide it's not worth the controversy.

Likewise, I don't have a problem with people protesting said speaker, either. As long as they do it peacefully and without violence or attempts at intimidation.

Also likewise, I have zero problem with people kneeling during the national anthem, but it's up to the NFL how they wish to deal with that.

I also don't have a problem with TV personalities being boycotted after saying something that is seen as offensive to the point that their career is threatened because of a loss of advertising revenue. That is capitalism at work.

Agree with every point in this post. But if everyone was this reasonable, this thread probably wouldn't exist.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2018 03:43 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Playmaker
Mozart and the Whale

Originally posted by BackFire

I'm always on the fence with that one.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2018 03:44 AM
Playmaker is currently offline Click here to Send Playmaker a Private Message Find more posts by Playmaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Can any leftists here explain to me why grown adults are incapable of not attending a speech they don't like? I'm still curious.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2018 01:39 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote