KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Implications of Darth Vader Annual #2

The Implications of Darth Vader Annual #2
Started by: Underachiever59

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Underachiever59

The Implications of Darth Vader Annual #2

Spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't read the comic. Don't read this if you haven't read it yet.

So, in the Darth Vader Annual #2, Vader figures out what the Death Star is. He discovers that it is a world-killer, built using kyber crystals. When he confronts Tarkin over this, Tarkin effectively mocks Vader, pointing out Vader's hypocrisy over the Death Star being a technological aberration, while Vader himself is also one. In response, Vader makes a "prediction" that the Death Star will be Tarkin's tomb.

The next page, we see a droid approach Lyra Erso, Galen Erso's wife. Vader learned of Galen and Lyra earlier in the comic. This droid warns Lyra of just what kind of monstrosity her husband is working on, then subsequently self-destructs. Which leads to Galen leaving Project Stardust.

Galen then is forced back into working on Project Stardust by Krennic. Galen engineers a deliberate design flaw into the Death Star. Vader then 'fails' to prevent the Rebels from escaping with the plans over Scariff. Vader then 'fails' to capture the plans on the Tantive IV. When he has the perfect chance to secure the plans on the Death Star, he deliberately allows the rebels to escape, "to lead back to the Rebel base." And ultimately, this chain of coincidences leads to Tarkin, Vader's greatest rival in the Empire, being killed when the Death Star, a piece of technology that would have basically made Vader obsolete, is destroyed by the Rebellion.

The implication, at least from how I see it, is that Vader deliberately engineered all of these events by warning Lyra. This comic set up Vader as a mastermind, orchestrating the downfall of the one man in the Empire who outranked him (not counting the Emperor himself), along with the destruction of a weapon of fear and power so great that Vader's role as the Emperor's enforcer would no longer have been necessary.

To me, this might be the greatest example of weaponized Force precognition I've seen. The domino effect caused by Vader warning Lyra Erso of what her husband was creating effectively wiped out all opposition within the Empire for Vader, opening up an opportunity for him to seize control of the entire Imperial military in the 2015 Vader comic.

Of course, I could be reading too much into this, but I strongly feel that this is what the story was trying to get across. We already know Vader is excellent at long-term scheming, thanks to the 2015 Vader comic run. And it makes sense for his Force precognition skills to be powerful enough for him to predict such a chain of events, given who Vader is. It almost reminds me of how the Shatterpoint ability worked in Legends. Vader just happened to find the perfect shatterpoint to bring down both Tarkin and the Death Star with a few anonymous words to the wife of a random scientist.

That's my speculation on this, anyway. What do you guys think? Was this a grand plan by Vader to wipe out his rival? Or am I reading way too much into this?

Old Post Jul 19th, 2018 09:49 AM
Click here to Send Underachiever59 a Private Message Find more posts by Underachiever59 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Vader is not really that. He is a bit of a schemer, but not so complex.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Jul 19th, 2018 10:59 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

This is very interesting

Old Post Jul 19th, 2018 11:03 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

I bet he just wants to s**k Vader's Force balls with this post. As if it proves he is one of the strongest Sith Lords.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Jul 19th, 2018 12:53 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

That is pretty stupid just to allow all that to happen just to kill Tarkin, I don't see how the DS would make Vader obsolete. Destroying planets all willy nilly wouldn't be beneficial at all and aside from the superlaser, the Death Star is just a giant mobile station so Vader could still be the Emperor's enforcer and his apprentice....yeah Vader just allowing all that to happen just to get rid of the Death Star and Tarkin is dumb.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2018 01:33 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Fascinating... but probably not.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Jul 19th, 2018 03:44 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Sarcasm.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2018 05:03 PM
Dominis

Yeah, the comic sucked. Didn't like any of it. All of it was just off, IMO. I liked the idea that Vader and Tarkin had such deep respect for one another that they almost had somewhat of a friendship (despite disagreements) not an enemy-alliance with complete disrespect for one another.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2018 05:30 PM
Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Touche.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2018 06:50 PM
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

this issue definitely makes it look like Vader set Tarkin up; obviously he sent the messenger droid to Erso... and I dig that, Vader has never been seen as a schemer so its nice to see him learning from his master and doing what Sidious did... one thing I dont get though is how does Vader know nothing of the Death Star when he is seen watching its development at the end of ROTS?

Old Post Jul 19th, 2018 08:41 PM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Stop it.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2018 10:15 PM
Zenwolf

quote: (post)
Originally posted by relentless1
this issue definitely makes it look like Vader set Tarkin up; obviously he sent the messenger droid to Erso... and I dig that, Vader has never been seen as a schemer so its nice to see him learning from his master and doing what Sidious did... one thing I dont get though is how does Vader know nothing of the Death Star when he is seen watching its development at the end of ROTS?

Could be he saw it, but didn't know what it was going to be able to do. Could be he just saw it as a station.

But it doesn't really add up he doesn't know about it either.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Jul 19th, 2018 at 10:32 PM

Old Post Jul 19th, 2018 10:28 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ That's exactly the case.

Vader obviously knew that Palpatine was constructing a massive space station, but he didn't know its true purpose(as a planet-killer) until he saw that kyber crystals were being harvested as a power source for its primary weapon.

That was also revealed in the recent Annual:
(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jul 20th, 2018 01:34 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Galan007
^ That's exactly the case.

Vader obviously knew that Palpatine was constructing a massive space station, but he didn't know its true purpose(as a planet-killer) until he saw that kyber crystals were being harvested as a power source for its primary weapon.

That was also revealed in the recent Annual:
(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Well I mean if they wanna go that route, then...ok? Though I necessarily don't agree with it as it seems kinda pointless, other than showing Vader throwing a fit over it. He didn't really seem to give two *** about the DS in ANH, so why he would care it would replace him when it wouldn't is beyond me.

Unless the Emperor would allow the Empire to just destroy every single planet that decided to rebel against them.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Jul 20th, 2018 at 02:01 AM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2018 01:54 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

What I didn't like is how this issue depicted Tarkin and Vader as bitter rivals... Yet in pretty much all other canon prior to this they have a mutual respect toward one another.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2018 02:06 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Galan007
What I didn't like is how this issue depicted Tarkin and Vader as bitter rivals... Yet in pretty much all other canon prior to this they have a mutual respect toward one another.

I wasn't really too happy with that either, Vader did have respect for some of the officers he got involved with.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2018 02:21 AM
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

lol you can respect someone and still want to kill them;

ras al ghul and batman

kraven and spider man

rogues and flash

xavier and magneto

this is just a new wrinkle in the story between Tarkin and Vader; one that adds a lot to both characters if you ask me

Last edited by relentless1 on Jul 20th, 2018 at 02:30 AM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2018 02:27 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbane77

Makes, would be cool of accurate,

Old Post Jul 20th, 2018 02:30 AM
Click here to Send darthbane77 a Private Message Find more posts by darthbane77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by relentless1
lol you can respect someone and still want to kill them;

ras al ghul and batman

kraven and spider man

rogues and flash

xavier and magneto

this is just a new wrinkle in the story between Tarkin and Vader; one that adds a lot to both characters if you ask me
Except there was no hint of respect here from either party. Tarkin treated Vader like a b*tch -- completely belittled and talked down to him. Same coin, Vader seemed to utterly loathe Tarkin.

This doesn't at all mesh with their previously established history wherein they share a great deal of mutual respect with one another, and certainly do not go around verbally berating each other... /shrug

Last edited by Galan007 on Jul 20th, 2018 at 02:54 AM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2018 02:43 AM
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

ok but this is the first time that Tarkin has had explicit control over Vader, theres bound to be growing pains there for sure; keep in mind theres like 18 years between this and ANH

Old Post Jul 20th, 2018 05:41 AM