KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Darth Traya (lazybones) vs Darth Malgus (slayne)

Darth Traya (lazybones) vs Darth Malgus (slayne)
Started by: lazybones

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
MythLord
Diamond

nobody caaares

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Aug 14th, 2018 06:29 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

Well you should for the fact that this is a Malgus vs. traya thread so... everyone has their opinion. That is what kmc is for.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2018 08:10 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
slayne
Revanite

I’ll only be addressing some of your points here, Lazy, for reasons I’ll state at the end of this rebuttal.

quote:
A similar thing applies for the subsequent blast which Malgus levied against the team. I highly doubt this represents true domination and rather Malgus relying on the momentum from his previous assault against a team exhausted and in severe agony after being electrocuted.

...I don’t know where you’re getting it that they were in “severe agony” when they literally get up and talk after the fact for half a minute without the slightest sign of difficulty or exhaustion, lol.

But still, the fact that he makes a show of leaping down from his throne - by which point any Force user worth their salt would’ve activated every defense they possessed - and then completely obliterates said defenses is a strong indicator that he did, indeed, overpower them.

quote:
So you say the only way that Malgus could have lost the engagement is through a cheapshot because you couldn't previously damage him after a certain point, but then follow up to say that it was patched out? Pretty sure that's a retcon.

It was changed to make the fight easier, and therefore exists more within the realm of game mechanics than it does within the realm of continuity. It still displays the indicator when Malgus is low enough to be pushed off, too, and I daresay they would’ve removed that had it been a lore-related retcon.

quote:
I don't agree with this interpretation. Revan as of the Foundry was clearly mentally broken and not fighting at anywhere near his full capacity. What's more, he had only recently emerged from his stasis and 300 years of torture from the hands of Vitiate and the Dread Masters. His raw innate power was indeed considerable, but his ability to project and use that power was obviously extraordinarily diminished. Indeed, an apt comparison here would be Mustafar Anakin. Although nothing changed about Anakin in regards to his prodigious raw power, and it would still be accurate to label him as more powerful than any Jedi, his mental state prevented him from performing anywhere near his best.

I agree on there being a mindset difference - if Revan was at full power, the strike team would’ve faced the raid boss we saw in SoR instead of a mid-level dungeon boss.

But this begs the question: if it wasn’t relevant to the battle, why was it displayed? Are we to assume that the fight somehow triggered a boost to Revan’s overall power (the type which his mental state prevents him from using), and the game drew this to our attention even though it holds no relevance to the fight at hand? I’d argue it’s plenty relevant to the battle.

quote:
Finally, Malgus says himself that no other Sith but those who were on the strike team could have defeated Foundry Revan. That includes himself, and would confirm there is something seriously off about the scaling you have constructed here.

And yet he was still able to do better against the four of them (who were already collectively demonstrably superior to Revan) after they experienced a considerable power boost? I’m sorry, but I don’t see the logic here.

quote:
So to sum up, the reasoning for Malgus here are flawed in two main ways:

It is assumed that Malgus must be superior to the strike team either collectively or individually on the basis of surprise attacks and game mechanics that are utterly inconsistent and cannot be reliably applied in these debates. The fact that the strike team would have been exhausted after fighting through hordes of 'endless' enemies is not discussed, nor is the fact that Malgus was actually described as in a state of 'desperation' during the battle, implying he was sorely outmatched.

Honestly, even if everything you’ve said here is true, my scaling still works. Let’s compare here for a second:

• Malgus fought a much more powerful version of the strike team than Revan did.
  • The strike team had fought through an “army” of droids before facing Revan, as well, so it follows that they were similarly exhausted. If not, the power growth between the fights will make up for whatever small discrepancy exists between their exhaustion levels in each instance.
  • Both Malgus and Revan had ample time to prepare for the conflict, which they knew was coming. In fact, the strike team literally walks in on Revan preparing for the fight, so we know he definitely had prep there.
  • Malgus was “desperate” by the time he was defeated, unlike Revan, who was mortally wounded. This desperation can also be attributed to the immediate self-destruction of the battle station instead of him being outmatched. Additionally, the strike team had to cheapshot Malgus to defeat him, unlike Revan, who was plainly outmatched. But even if this is all bogus, the mere fact that he contended with them is enough.

The scaling still holds. Even if the domination stuff was thoroughly and utterly false, Malgus still performed better against a more powerful version of the strike team than Revan did, therefore putting him demonstrably above Foundry Revan - and thus vastly above Traya.

Malgus is superior. thumb up

Old Post Aug 24th, 2018 04:33 AM
Click here to Send slayne a Private Message Find more posts by slayne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
slayne
Revanite

quote:
Now what is my case for Traya winning? Well, one massive point in Traya's favour is the fact that she actually scales from early Nihilus. The evidence for this is stronger than you may think. Firstly, Traya is said to be by sources the 'most senior' of the Triumvirate. This is not referring to age or experience, as Sion is actually older than Traya and fought the Jedi for many more decades as a marauder in Kun's empire. Furthermore, it is said that the Sith in this era worked their way to the top by the lightsaber blade, which would not be referring to solely lightsaber skills as the Sith would obviously employ their force powers in these lethal contests, and also retcons a loading screen attributing Traya's rise to her manipulation.

Right, there are a few problems with this. For one, we can simply interpret “senior” the way Google defines it - that is, “holding a high and authoritative position”, or “holding a higher position than” someone else. Therefore, it’s not illogical to assume that her seniority simply refers to her rank. Being the leader of the Triumvirate, she would of course be the most senior of the three.

The second quote you posted simply means that Traya was more powerful than Nihilus when she took him under her wing, which really shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone.

On the topic of power, however, the fact that Sion and Nihilus “united” to depose her doesn’t mean it was out of necessity. In fact, the cutscene quite clearly shows Nihilus doing the heavy lifting - Sion’s only intervention was to pummel the hell out of her while she was already rendered winded and powerless by Nihilus’ attack.

quote:
However, we happen to know that Nihilus is not more powerful than Traya at this time, because sources say that he had to team up with Sion. What's more, despite having her distracted and intending to kill her, Nihilus was unable to do so in their showdown in the Trayus Core. In fact, Sion and Nihilus drained her together, yet they were still unable to kill her or permanently cut her off from the force.

I mean, the campaign guide makes it quite clear that Nihilus was the one draining her, lol:

quote:
Darth Traya indeed teaches the newly christened Darth Nihilus to harness his life-craving gift to radical heights – so effectively in fact, that Nihilus saps Traya's powers in a calculated double cross.

-- KotOR Campaign Guide

As well, none of the quotes you posted support your hypothesis of them draining her together.

quote:
Ousting Traya with Darth Sion's help, Nihilus binges on the Force, nearly extinguishing the Jedi forever at Katarr.
Source: Knights of the Old Republic Saga Edition Campaign Guide

Sion attacking Traya while she’s down fits under the criteria of “helping” in her deposition.

quote:
Surviving the Sith backstabbing following the Jedi Civil War, Sion's abilities draw the eye of Revan's former master, the powerful Darth Traya...He conspires with Darth Nihilus to strip her powers and eventually severs Traya's hand.

Them “conspiring” to strip her of her powers only means they planned it beforehand, not that Sion necessarily helped drain her.

quote:
But Traya underestimates her disciples' depravity. They turn on her and drain her force powers.

Of all the quotes presented, this is probably the only one that helps your case. Sadly, it’s overridden by the quote I posted above, and the actual cutscene itself (which clearly shows Nihilus doing all the draining). And even if Sion did help him, that still doesn’t mean it was out of necessity.

And as for Sion’s quote, there’s really nothing stating that Nihilus meant to kill her with that attack. Indeed, the fact that he walks over to Traya almost immediately after she hits the wall - before she shows any sign of life - is a clear indicator of her survival of the attack being planned. That said, I don’t know, he might’ve simply broken her neck after Sion was done and she survived unbeknownst to him. Either way, Nihilus’ initial attack clearly wasn’t meant to kill her, so it can’t be used as a metric to compare their power.

quote:
And only shortly after recovering her connection with the force on Peragus, Kreia recovers remarkably quickly after the agony of losing a limb.

She still drops to her knees in pain when Sion cuts it off - and she won’t have the time to recover like she did while in the middle of a fight with Malgus.

quote:
Later, Kreia even impales herself with a lightsaber, and not only manages to remain conscious, but is able to still use Force Crush on late-game Exile and walk away with no noted difficulty. Considering that it is said that she drained the Exile, I'd imagine she used this to heal herself.

eh, I’d argue that Kreia siphoned her Force Bond with the Exile to heal herself instead of using conventional drain.

quote:
"Let that pain be a lesson - and a reminder of what you have forgotten. Pain travels both ways along connections in the Force - it casts echoes, always - and one can learn to draw strength from such connections... and take it from others.

--Kreia, KotOR II

She says this immediately after getting up, as well, so it’s clear that the connection they had played a significant role in her swift recovery. So I wouldn’t attribute it to drain, at least not in the sense that Kreia can use it to this effect against anyone she comes across.

Also, if she could simply face-tank lightsaber blades and immediately Drain whoever she’s up against to revitalize to the point of combat effectiveness, I’d have expected her to do so against Surik during their duel on the Core. She was evidently in better shape than she was on Dantooine; unlike Dantooine, however, she had a colossal dark side nexus to aid her. Yet she was still incapable of replicating it.

This quite evidently isn’t conventional Drain, and thus cannot be used to that level of effectiveness against Malgus.

quote:
And in fact, Traya has been shown to be able to heal mortally fatal wounds before with little effort and without drain even in the equation (Tobin, Hanharr).

Again, these healing abilities would’ve been plenty useful against the Exile during their duel on the Trayus core. She even gets a prolonged period to use them when, quite clearly wounded to the point of physical ineffectiveness, she sets her three lightsabers on the Exile. But even after the prolonged period it took for the Exile to destroy them, she’s still quite unable to fight back - whether with the Force or a lightsaber. If she couldn’t reliably use them there, I have serious doubts about her ability to use them against Malgus.

quote:
Speaking of drain, Traya would be using this passively throughout the battle. And as the duel wears on, Traya will be growing stronger whilst Malgus grows weaker. She can also ramp this up to the sort of active draining that she used to easily dispose of the three Jedi Masters who were said to have 'extremely potent' force powers.

Right, but to what extent? Certainly not to one where she would win, I imagine, given that she had plenty of time to drain the hell out of the Exile during their fight, and yet she still managed to lose - on a nexus, of all places. If these powers can’t give Traya the win on a nexus, which would’ve amplified their effect and weakened her opponent, they’re not giving her the win against an opponent far more powerful than Surik on neutral ground.

quote:
As well as the potential to severely drain Malgus' force strength and continually weaken him over time while amping herself, Traya also has the ability to gravely hamper Malgus' general combative strength too. As a master of Ionize who is able to use it on the massive machinery of a tank droid, it is far from inconceivable that Traya could use her powers against Malgus' armor. To put into perspective what this could do, Obi-Wan was able to use Ionize to make Anakin drop his lightsaber in their Duel on Mustafar. Now think of a similar trick being used not only against a hand, but practically the entire body of the individual who is 'held together by machines' (SWTOR Encyclopedia), including the breathing apparatus on which that person depends. This is what Traya could do in a blink of an eye, and Malgus would have no counter to it.

This same quote says that it’s also literally held together by “fury” and an “obsession with revenge” (against who, lol?), so I’d take it with a massive pinch of salt unless you can find another source to corroborate it. As well, “held together by machines” could simply be referring to his respirator given that his body needs oxygen to function, and therefore the respirator, which assists in his breathing, would hold his body together.

You did raise a fair point about the respirator, though. But if we’re going to use game abilities here, it’s only fair to point out that the Wrath also knew how to disable droids (and, going by your logic here, general machinery) in much the same way that Traya did.

https://swtor.jedipedia.net/en/abl/disable-droid

quote:
Shuts down the target droid, incapacitating it for X seconds.

And the Wrath knowing how to incapacitate machinery was evidently ineffective against Malgus, so it’s safe to assume that Traya knowing how to incapacitate machinery will be as well.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2018 04:34 AM
Click here to Send slayne a Private Message Find more posts by slayne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
slayne
Revanite

And now it’s time for the Malgus argument.

I’d first like to outline what I feel should be obvious here: Malgus’ superior lightsaber skill, and telekinetic ability.

In terms of lightsaber skill, Malgus holds the clear edge. Overcoming two Jedi Battlemasters in lightsaber combat well before the events of the Ilum arc is an insane feat, and it professes an amount of lightsaber skill I’m not sure Traya can match based on what few feats she has. Her chances become even more grim once you consider that she’s missing a hand, which leaves her fatally vulnerable to Malgus’ superior strength in a close-quarters lightsaber duel. She’s going up against an opponent with the type of physical strength to make Aryn Leneer’s arms “quiver” with a single lightsaber exchange:

quote:
The force of the Sith’s blow made her arms quiver, but she gave no ground.
--TOR: Deceived

And eventually drive her to her knees under the force of his blows:

quote:
Malgus’s strength drove her to her knees.

I simply can’t see Traya dealing with that kind of strength with only a single hand if Leneer barely could with two, and it doesn’t get much better with Malgus being able to loose kicks or punches on her as well; the power of which have broken ribs and caused Leneer to “see double”. With both a skill and strength advantage in terms of displayed feats, I don’t see much of a future for Traya if Malgus gets up close.

Her situation darkens even further when you consider Malgus’ staggering telekinetic advantage. Along with the aforementioned feats of blasting through the strike team’s Force defenses (which, in my opinion, is better than what Traya did with the three Masters given the team’s greater telekinetic abilities), Malgus has:

• held back a dropship (the Razor) while its thrusters were going at full blast:

quote:
    He reached out with the Force as Razor continued its rise, tried to take it in his mental grasp. Its ascent slowed. He held forth both of his arms, made claws of his hands, and shouted with frustration as he sought to hold back the power of the ship’s thrusters. He felt a tightness in his mind, the string of his power being drawn taut, stretching, stretching. He would not release the ship. Its thrusters began to whine. He held it, teeth gritted, sweat soaking his body, his breath a dry rattle through his respirator. And then the string snapped and the ship flew free, lifting clear of the roof doors.

In terms of quality, I’d honestly say that it’s a better feat than anything Traya’s shown in the TK department bar maybe her domination of the masters (which might’ve been with prep) simply because of the sheer force Malgus has to deal with. It’s a beautiful feat, and it helps that it was also pre-prime by about a decade, so you can bet that Malgus will be able to dish out more powerful TK than this during the fight.

• uses a Force Wave-type attack to blast tons of rubble away from him while having difficulty breathing:

quote:
    Malgus stood in a pocket under a mountain of rubble, legs bent, the power from his upraised hands preventing several tons of duracrete and steel from crushing him. Dust made his already troubled breathing more difficult. He coughed as the words of his father echoed in his mind.

He'd been sloppy, so lost in his need for revenge that he'd failed to properly evaluate the Jedi's power. He'd surrendered his reason to bloodlust. But no more. With an effort of will, he contained his anger, controlled it, made it a whetstone against which he sharpened his power. Using the Force, he blew the rubble up and away from him. It fell with a crash into the adjacent buildings.

--The Third Lesson

This quote is important for two reasons: one, it is again a very impressive display of telekinesis, and two, it’s proof that Malgus can exercise his Force powers while his breathing is hindered - so even if Traya manages to disrupt his respirator, he can still dish out this type of power on demand. He was also gravely wounded when this occurred and still managed to defeat two Jedi afterwards even with the breathing problems. Give him a decade of growth afterward, and I honestly doubt if Traya disabling his respirator will affect the fight as much as you say.

I suspect that such telekinetic power would be exceptionally useful in fending off Traya’s lightsabers, given that she’ll probably sicc them on Malgus once she realizes she can’t fight him for shit in a close-quarters duel - if the battle isn’t over by then. The KotOR II Prima Guide notes that her lightsabers are “vulnerable” to telekinetic attacks such as Force Wave (link) (see the rubble example); and that employing such against them would be “extremely effective”, so they shouldn’t give Malgus any trouble.

At this point, the only way Traya can feasibly win this is through Drain, which, honestly, I don’t see making much of a difference in the grand scheme of things due to Malgus’ far greater power. 20 meters isn’t that far for a Force user like Malgus to cross at a charge, and once he gets in close, his telekinesis will nullify Traya’s tri-saber shenanigans and his superior skill and physical strength will secure him the win fairly quickly.

But what if Traya is more powerful than Malgus? Wouldn’t that shift the tide of the battle in her favor?

(please log in to view the image)

---TCSWE

The quote is self-explanatory. Although Traya was more powerful than the Exile during the Trayus core, she ultimately lost due to the Exile being a more skilled opponent. Now, Traya had two advantages which, in my opinion, led to her being “more powerful” than the Exile on Malachor:

• Traya was amped, massively
  • The Exile was weakened to the same degree

It gets better, too. Surik describes simply walking on Malachor’s surface as “agony”; being assailed mentally by the anguish of those who died there, and being crushed by gravity so great that even one such as her is left “gasping for breath”:

quote:
Traversing its surface had been agony. Mentally, she had still sensed the anguish of all who had lost their lives there. Physically, the intense gravity of the world had held her in its crushing grip, leaving her gasping for breath.

I get that the gravity part also applies to Traya, but unlike Surik, she had a colossal dark side nexus to counteract whatever physical tortures the planet might have loosed upon her. But what’s really important here is Surik’s mental state. Like we see with Revan, a Force user’s mental state is critical to their ability to channel and direct their available power. Surik’s mind was assaulted to the point of “agony” while she was simultaneously being “drowned” in the dark side, so it’s safe to say that she wasn’t performing anywhere near her best Force-wise. Add to this that she had to fight an entire “legion” of Sith beforehand, and it’s small wonder that she was less powerful than Traya by that point. On even ground, though, I’d say Surik would be substantially more powerful.

Of course, I’d imagine she didn’t have much of a hope of defeating Traya using the Force alone. So Surik, being crushed by a gravity field which left her “gasping for breath”, manages to defeat her in a close-quarters duel instead of a long-range Force battle. All the while being assailed with the type of Drain you posit will widen the power gap even further between Traya and Surik, or in this case, Traya and Malgus.

From this, I think it’s safe to say that close-quarters combat - you know, the type that Malgus will always engage in, given the chance - is a weakness of Traya’s, so much so that even a substantial power gap between her and her opponent won’t guarantee her the victory if her opponent is the superior combatant. And Malgus - with his superior strength, skill, and TK - is quite evidently the superior combatant.

So even if you prove Traya is more powerful than Malgus, you’ll also have to prove she’s the better combatant, because otherwise, this’ll turn into a Vitiate-HoT situation, except shorter and more embarrassing for Traya.

And there, you’ve got your work cut out for you.

slayne
Revanite

Sorry for the delay, lol. I'm a lazy ****

Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Decent response

Old Post Aug 24th, 2018 04:59 AM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Indeed, though I feel a lack of concrete Traya knowledge has left it open to easy rebuttal in places. The argument about her not being able to shrug off the loss of a limb like a hand for example.... Malachor?

"i admire u choose cersei as ur avi sel. at least u know that ur one sick *****, i can respect that" - Inturpid.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2018 08:43 AM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

-

Old Post Aug 24th, 2018 02:45 PM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lazybones

Noice. Might take a while to respond though. Just a heads up.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2018 10:50 PM
Click here to Send lazybones a Private Message Find more posts by lazybones Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

quote: (post)
Originally posted by lazybones
Noice. Might take a while to respond though. Just a heads up.
take as long as you need to, as long as you win. i cant argue for traya"s sake in an arguement like this, i trust you bones.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2018 05:04 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
slayne
Revanite

@lazy
quote: (post)
Originally posted by victreebelvictr
take as long as you need to

Old Post Aug 27th, 2018 07:01 PM
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

Great job by the way, you do well slayne

Old Post Aug 27th, 2018 07:51 PM