KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Is gender a social construct?

Is gender a social construct?
Started by: DarthSkywalker0

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

In your head rent free, Trumper thumb up

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 12:24 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

I didn't vote for Trump. thumb up

You should let your boyfriend do the talking, he's at least funny when he's mad.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 12:32 AM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

#feefees

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 12:35 AM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
#feefees
wow didn't take long for that kid to get triggered.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 10:25 AM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

guess that means we're a threesome now. i wanna be the caboose.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 12:24 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
guess that means we're a threesome now. i wanna be the caboose.
You can be whatever you want lover, as long as I get to cum.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 12:28 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Silent Master
Gender, no
Gender roles, yes

Agreed.

I don't buy into the "sex's have no defining traits at all" arguments of feminist hardliners, e.g. men can be uniquely violent, women can be uniquely obsessed with kids, and men and women can be attracted to various desirable elements unique to either sex...

... but aside from the fact there's men and women who defy that, it's obvious accepted norms went way too far pigeonholing people into "stay at home mom" and "breadwinner dad"..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Last edited by cdtm on Sep 8th, 2018 at 03:13 PM

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 03:09 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

I think gender norms are a good thing to have in a society tbh. I think they evolved to reflect the average psychology of men and women, and are thus a good aspect of our culture to have to help a decent number of men and women understand themselves. That being said if somebody wants to deviate from them they should be free to do so.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 03:26 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Zed
Restricted

Account Restricted

How can gender roles be little more than societally constructed phenomena when, by and large, these roles have been fairly similar thought-out the majority of cultures. This indicates a powerful force of nature beyond "societal programming" and rather the natural ways in which humans organise themselves.

More to the point, why has women's mental health been in decline since women started competing with men, breaking away from the traditional norm of family related caring, instead of increasing when they have the freedom to do either?

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 04:31 PM
Lord Zed is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Zed a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Zed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by Emperordmb
There's also a very bizarre logical contradiction. They argue against gender stereotypes, against the idea that men and women are the same... and yet somehow someone with a penis can feel like a woman, as if a man could not feel that way and still be a man because apparently being psychologically male or female is legitimate despite their protests that there are no legitimate differences between men and women that could cause the wage gap. What's more is that this is often performed through gender stereotypes. I myself feel like a man I suppose, but I have no experience feeling like a woman, whatever that means, so I have little point of reference aside from the social norms and stereotypes around men and women... which means transgender identification is likely a decision based around accepting and playing into gender stereotypes... which I thought these people were supposed to be against?

You radical feminist you.

I agree, it's definitely a tricky area to navigate. Conversely, an opposing argument is that these roles, transgressive or not, exist in our social fabric. Because of that, it's reasonable for someone to choose this construct if it suits them. As long as we don't assume each role is inextricably linked to your biology, then maybe it's simply a category for a set of traits anyone can exhibit.

Or maybe it just all means nothing and humans are silly.
Originally posted by cdtm
Agreed.

I don't buy into the "sex's have no defining traits at all" arguments of feminist hardliners, e.g. men can be uniquely violent, women can be uniquely obsessed with kids, and men and women can be attracted to various desirable elements unique to either sex...

... but aside from the fact there's men and women who defy that, it's obvious accepted norms went way too far pigeonholing people into "stay at home mom" and "breadwinner dad"..

That's not really the argument though. The argument is that "gender" and "sex" are two different things. Sex refers to our actual biology, and gender refers to the socially constructed ideas placed upon our biology.

That still leaves plenty of room for difference among the sexes.
I think gender norms are a good thing to have in a society tbh. I think they evolved to reflect the average psychology of men and women, and are thus a good aspect of our culture to have to help a decent number of men and women understand themselves. That being said if somebody wants to deviate from them they should be free to do so.

I'm not following. Why would that help folks understand themselves better than simply trying what suits them?

I see what you're saying, but the fact that they must "deviate" indicates the problem before we start. Is there a world where the social expectation can exist and people not get ostracized for being different?

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 9th, 2018 at 10:40 PM

Old Post Sep 9th, 2018 10:31 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Not ostracized, sure. I'd argue we're at that point already.

Growing up, I remember kids being pretty accepting of gender differences. Sure, there were various "rejects", but gender/sex had nothing to do with it.

It was more about behavior, e.g. socially mal-adjusted, anti-social, or plain weirdness for the sake of attention...

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2018 10:57 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why are we even debating this? Given the dictionary definition of gender, it is a social construct and that's an irrefutable fact.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2018 11:00 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

The Dictionary is only accurate regarding pronouns. Didn't you know that?

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Sep 9th, 2018 11:07 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Adam Grimes
The Dictionary is only accurate regarding pronouns. Didn't you know that?
Hahahaha thumb up

Old Post Sep 9th, 2018 11:19 PM
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Putinbot1
Hahahaha thumb up

Remember. This is the man that rapes his House Boy.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2018 02:14 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by StyleTime
You radical feminist you.

I agree, it's definitely a tricky area to navigate. Conversely, an opposing argument is that these roles, transgressive or not, exist in our social fabric. Because of that, it's reasonable for someone to choose this construct if it suits them. As long as we don't assume each role is inextricably linked to your biology, then maybe it's simply a category for a set of traits anyone can exhibit.

Or maybe it just all means nothing and humans are silly.

Here's the thing though, if it's not just a person making their own choice, it's a person placing an expectation on other people how they must conceptualize and refer to them, and in the case of "non-binary people" creating this new category in our society and expecting everyone to accept it or else they're a bigoted *******.

If it's so arbitrary that it's basically meaningless (which for the record I'm not saying it is, but it's certainly the message non-binary gender blender upside down triangles who change their gender every week give off), why not refer to people as male or female based on their biology and let them have the personal freedom to express themselves or dress or get cosmetic surgery in whatever way they see fit?

And that's the thing, social constructs are still socially negotiated. What is considered polite in our society is a social construct and socially negotiated, you can't be a prick to everyone and say "I identify as a polite person and therefore you must refer to me as that" and expect to get away with it.

Originally posted by StyleTime
I'm not following. Why would that help folks understand themselves better than simply trying what suits them?

I see what you're saying, but the fact that they must "deviate" indicates the problem before we start. Is there a world where the social expectation can exist and people not get ostracized for being different?

Simple answer, rather than shaming having positive male and female role models, in real life, in our stories, etc. Something inspirational.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!

Old Post Sep 10th, 2018 03:36 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Society has no right to take any of the Credit for how screwed up I am.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2018 04:05 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

you can't be a prick to everyone and say "I identify as a polite person and therefore you must refer to me as that" and expect to get away with it.

What if the person say they identify as a polite person but also incarnate everything that is politeness? In that case their request makes sense and is consistent (I'm not saying that makes it valid).

I can see how denying the construct of politeness and then trying to request it comes out as somewhat nonsensical.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Sep 10th, 2018 04:46 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Bentley
What if the person say they identify as a polite person but also incarnate everything that is politeness? In that case their request makes sense and is consistent (I'm not saying that makes it valid).

I can see how denying the construct of politeness and then trying to request it comes out as somewhat nonsensical.

Well sure but in that case it is socially negotiated, there's defined parameters and markers around it.

For a binary transgender person the markers are obvious (male and female gender roles, clothes, appearance, etc.), for someone completely inventing a new category around which there are no deeply culturally ingrained markers or clear conceptualization within society, then that's not socially negotiated as much as you saying "I'm this thing and you have to refer to me as that."

Old Post Sep 10th, 2018 05:29 AM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Remember. This is the man that rapes his House Boy.
Fly and his violent homosexual rape fantasies about me as the aggressor. What a ***** he is.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2018 09:21 AM