KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Is gender a social construct?

Is gender a social construct?
Started by: DarthSkywalker0

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 5 6 [7]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by quanchi112
Yours are. You know I am right too.

Nah.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2018 03:27 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Surtur
Nah.
Yeah, but rage more about dems and kneeling at an nfl game.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2018 03:32 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by cdtm
Of COURSE they want to offend. Or they wouldn't do it in front of the flag at all. Flag protests, in all cases, are INTENDED to provoke a reaction from others.

They want to get eyes on their cause. The alternative is be ignored...
Originally posted by cdtm
Accept abortion is wrong.

Accept marriage is between men and women.

Accept kneeling in front of the flag, isn't disrespecting the flag.

That's how they're similar. The people feel how they feel, and are being asked to feel differently.

Of course, it's equally valid to say:

Accept I don't accept you're a woman.

Not sure these follow. Again, no one is making you "disrespect" the flag yourself. They're saying you can't stop them from doing it. You can feel it's wrong all you want though.

Legal gay marriage doesn't mean you have to enter a homosexual marriage yourself. Your feelings are your own, but you don't get to ban it for others.

Marriage should go die in a fire though, at least the industry around it.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 22nd, 2018 at 11:09 PM

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2018 11:00 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Right but instead of just identifying as a certain gender demanding that other people identify you that way as well is a bit different from "you can do whatever you want and I can do whatever I want"

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2018 04:11 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Is it? If your name is Michael you have a right to be identified as Michael and not Zack within every legal context. So if you can legally change your name and expect that to be legally acknowledged why exactly is it wrong to identify as a toaster and expect that to be legally acknowledged?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2018 06:11 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

If your name is Michael and random people on the street call you Zack, what law are they breaking?

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2018 06:58 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

No one is advocating that you should go to jail for calling a man a woman or vice versa, so what does that have to do with my post.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 07:22 AM

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2018 07:18 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Maybe not on this forum, but I've heard people say that calling someone the wrong pronoun was a violent act.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2018 10:32 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

And?

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2018 06:55 PM
StyleTime

Originally posted by Emperordmb
Right but instead of just identifying as a certain gender demanding that other people identify you that way as well is a bit different from "you can do whatever you want and I can do whatever I want"

On the surface, I can maybe see it. If we dig deeper, there's definitely nuance to this though.

They technically are just identifying as certain gender and informing you of their preferred pronoun. What you do afterwards is your call.

A problem with the "don't insult the flag" stance, especially in the form discussed here, is that it ignores the opposition's argument and raises some separate issue as if it's a counterpoint. Essentially, group A says "Hey, I need to say something. None of you were listening before so I figured I could get your attention by standing in front of this thing you always stare at(the flag)."

Instead of going, "Okay. We hear ya. What's wrong?" Group B says, "Don't make this about the flag." The discussion then morphs into this third issue about patriotism. In reality, listening to what they're saying and helping them out if necessary would end the flag protesting.

Additonally, equating these two issues ignores levels of severity quite frankly. At the end of the day, protesting the flag does **** all harm to anyone. While disregarding the socially constructed aspects of gender exists on a continuum of violence and marginalization against a group of humans.

I just don't think these are the same things, except in the broadest of ways.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 07:15 PM

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2018 07:09 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Originally posted by Tzeentch
And?

Look at the post above mine.

Last edited by Silent Master on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 07:25 PM

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2018 07:22 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by StyleTime
On the surface, I can maybe see it. If we dig deeper, there's definitely nuance to this though.

They technically are just identifying as certain gender and informing you of their preferred pronoun. What you do afterwards is your call.

A problem with the "don't insult the flag" stance, especially in the form discussed here, is that it ignores the opposition's argument and raises some separate issue as if it's a counterpoint. Essentially, group A says "Hey, I need to say something. None of you were listening before so I figured I could get your attention by standing in front of this thing you always stare at(the flag)."

Instead of going, "Okay. We hear ya. What's wrong?" Group B says, "Don't make this about the flag." The discussion then morphs into this third issue about patriotism. In reality, listening to what they're saying and helping them out if necessary would end the flag protesting.

Additonally, equating these two issues ignores levels of severity quite frankly. At the end of the day, protesting the flag does **** all harm to anyone. While disregarding the socially constructed aspects of gender exists on a continuum of violence and marginalization against a group of humans.

I just don't think these are the same things, except in the broadest of ways.

Oh I wasn't comparing the two things. Nothing I said there was meant to be related to the anthem kneeling shit. I was kinda drunk when I made that post.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2018 07:29 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Oh, my fault. thumb up

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2018 10:42 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Followup: Is gender a Green Lantern construct?

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2018 10:46 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

What if SOCIETY is a Construct of Gender?

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Sep 24th, 2018 03:07 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote