KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » The Witcher

The Witcher
Started by: BruceSkywalker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
I think he'd probably prefer to think his work did this. And hey there was a polish show based on this called the hexer lol. But yeah, the games are massively popular.

And hell, after this series aired Witcher 3 had more people playing on Steam than it did on launch day.

And I honestly feel The Witcher is better than Game of Thrones. I read one article that summed it up, it used a quote from Ian McShane about GoT, that it is all just "t*ts and dragons". The point made in the article is The Witcher fully embraces the "just t*ts and dragons" angle, while GoT doesn't.

And honestly I was never bored during Witcher. Game Of Thrones has some boring parts.

I think it's less a case of GoT being just about t*ts and dragons and more a case of the show runners (particularly during the later seasons) being hacks and not translating everything to the screen properly.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 04:34 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by BackFire
Yeah Witcher is much more straight forward about what it is than GoT I guess, but I don't think GoT was ever really just about **** and dragons, it had a lot of depth and I think G.R.R Martin is a way better writer than the author of The Witcher books. The books being more shallow than GoT probably is just because the author simply isn't as talented as Martin.

GRRM is a terrible author. His prose style is atrocious, his pacing it frenetic at times and completely off track at others, and his world building has the intelligence and thoughtfulness of a 6 year old.

The least enjoyable of any books I've ever read.

He would go on for pages and pages and pages of IRRELEVANT lore. Like writing extremely boring short stories that literally had nothing at all to do with the story or the current situation. And he'd go on, sometimes, 2 whole pages describing food. Food. lol FOOD!

I've read some fan-fic from real-life friends who had no talent at all for writing. They were much better authors than GRRM.

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Freya Allan is 18.

Why do guys know this and are adamant about correcting me over it?

She looks 13-14 to me.

Last edited by dadudemon on Jan 2nd, 2020 at 03:33 PM

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 03:31 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

She looks 17-18 so when u first called her 13 I was shocked she was so young. Makes sense to find out she is 18.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 04:08 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Maybe the height throws people off as well? I don't know about age, but I did notice she seemed quite short relative to almost everyone around her onscreen. But I have no idea how tall Freya Allan actually is.

Edit: Wait, found a bio. Yep, she's all of 5'3".

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 04:18 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by NemeBro
The author was just upset that when Cdprojekt offered him a 5% portion of the profits he told them the game series won't be very profitable so he just wants a flat sum of less than ten grand. He's lucky they didn't make him eat from their shitpan after he tried to sue them for more money.

Also, this show isn't anywhere near as good as early Game of Thrones. It's not even close.

It's better than late GoT though.

What an idiot. Good job cementing the stereotype, Sapkowski.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 09:42 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

The author was just upset that when Cdprojekt offered him a 5% portion of the profits he told them the game series won't be very profitable so he just wants a flat sum of less than ten grand. He's lucky they didn't make him eat from their shitpan after he tried to sue them for more money.

Also, this show isn't anywhere near as good as early Game of Thrones. It's not even close.

It's better than late GoT though.

Damn that sucks for him. I blame it on a generational thing that he couldn't understand the potential for the video game. Hell I remember being really excited the first time I read an in depth preview about the first game. I had never heard of the series before, it was the games that lead me to the books.

He would have definitely seen an increase in profits now because of the tv series if he had taken the deal. More people were playing the game on steam after the show aired then had played during launch week.

Last edited by Surtur on Jan 2nd, 2020 at 10:13 PM

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 10:11 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Maybe the height throws people off as well? I don't know about age, but I did notice she seemed quite short relative to almost everyone around her onscreen. But I have no idea how tall Freya Allan actually is.

Edit: Wait, found a bio. Yep, she's all of 5'3".
That is half an inch shorter than the average woman in the US my man. Ditto England.

Women are short. Also, I'd strangle that ***** while she was crushing my testicles, that teenage girl is fine af tbh

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 10:12 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Surtur
Damn that sucks for him.
Nah, **** him he can eat shit.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 10:12 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Don't you like the games?

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 10:20 PM
NemeBro

I do, which is part of why I'm unsympathetic to the author. He's a douchebag, and he's very lucky CD Projekt didn't fight that lawsuit he filed on them.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 10:30 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

So they paid him more?

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 10:50 PM
NemeBro

It is currently thought there was a backroom settlement.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 11:08 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Toss some coin to your witcher author, o valley of plenty o valley of plenty.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 11:45 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I agree with Neme. He should thank his lucky stars that CDPR decided to be kind to him.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 11:45 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I agree he shouldn't have tried to sue them. It's not their fault he didn't think the games would be profitable. He took the money.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 11:56 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

But from what I read, Polish law is different than here, so they may have eventually been forced to pay him regardless.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2020 12:05 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

There's a joke in there, somewhere...

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2020 12:25 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

I do, which is part of why I'm unsympathetic to the author. He's a douchebag, and he's very lucky CD Projekt didn't fight that lawsuit he filed on them.

I read something about his one time payment deal only applying to one thing, and this lawsuit falling that fell outside of the original agreement.

Or something.

I mean, if he didn't have a leg to stand on, they probably could have just laughed him off, rather then settle.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2020 01:31 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

It was Sapkowski's damn fault he signed the shitty deal and didn't believe one bit in the game's success.

He's butthurt big time.

Originally posted by BackFire
But from what I read, Polish law is different than here, so they may have eventually been forced to pay him regardless.

Law is different in every country.

And it's always better to have the author "on your side" somewhat, even if he's grumpy 24/7.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2020 01:35 AM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by dadudemon
Why do guys know this and are adamant about correcting me over it?

She looks 13-14 to me.

Because that means she's legal, Cavill could gangbang/bdsm the living shit out of her if she consented to it. And he could make you watch, too stick out tongue

Netflix is probably making her look that way, as Ciri starts her journey rather young, if memory serves.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2020 01:42 AM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote