KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » The Witcher

The Witcher
Started by: BruceSkywalker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Badabing
Karen

Everybody needs to stop posting spoilers. If I see the same person posting spoilers they will be banned until 2020.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Dec 20th, 2019 08:07 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

I loled when he [SPOILER - highlight to read]: pinned that Faun thing down, and he asked if his mom ****ed a sea gulm. The series overall is what Conan should’ve been in the 80s. I’m already hooked

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Dec 20th, 2019 11:07 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'll admit I got bored halfway through the first episode and started watching a Cheers rerun instead. I'll have to give this another shot later.

Damn wait just checked my netflix, I didn't even make it halfway. Stopped watching 20 minutes in. Lol.

Guy who plays Geralt seems to be trying to do a voice impression of Geralts voice actor from the games...all the time, whenever he speaks.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 01:03 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Okay I gave it a shot and I watched the rest and I did like it.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 05:12 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I half expected to see a quest completion notice pop up on the screen in the first episode with the iconic quest completion music. When it didn't come up I forgot that it wasn't the game.

That's when I knew the show was good.

One complaint I have is that it is TOO true to the games/books. It gets instantly deep into the history and lore right off the bat. How the hell is a casual watcher just supposed to jump into this and make heads or tails of all the times and labels being thrown around? I guess people get over it quickly.

Perhaps I should be thankful that as a fan of the series, I have something to enjoy that is so ridiculous geeky and nerdy that I don't have to worry about ti getting watered down for casual watchers.

Onwards to episode 2. Enjoying the show so far. I will play the shit out of Witcher 3 this whole weekend. I still haven't beaten that game. I have over 70 hours logged in the game and just made it to Skellige. I am an ultra completionist and have done almost every single side quest before traveling along the main story.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2019 04:04 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I enjoyed the first season overall. I have a few gripes here and there and would have liked to see more of the nerdier Witcher elements (as in the actual background around [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Witchers themselves, their gear, the potions, Signs etc), but I suspect they're keeping that for later seasons. They already did a ton of world building and dumped a huge amount of info on viewers in the first season.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2019 04:28 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

I'm 5 episodes in and I don't know I can muster enough willpower to finish it.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2019 04:33 PM
juggernaut74 is currently offline Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
One complaint I have is that it is TOO true to the games/books. It gets instantly deep into the history and lore right off the bat. How the hell is a casual watcher just supposed to jump into this and make heads or tails of all the times and labels being thrown around?
That was my issue.

I've never played the games, or read the books/supplementary material, so I had absolutely NO clue what was going on at first... Especially when the episodes started time-hopping and whatnot. I was still able to piece the story together eventually, but it definitely wasn't written for a n00b like me. /shrug

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 26th, 2019 05:13 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
80sBaby
The Kid

I have never played the games nor read the books but didn't find it confusing at all. I had questions and suspected there was some time-shenanigans but those were answered by the 4th episode. I never felt confused, though. There were little clues ever since the first episode and the timeskip doesn't make it difficult to follow the plot since the 3 main character's stories are told separately. So when they occur doesn't matter as far as understanding what's happening.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2019 06:40 PM
80sBaby is currently offline Click here to Send 80sBaby a Private Message Find more posts by 80sBaby Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I have noticed one compliant from a lot of people who played the games but never read any of the books, in that the show isn't as Geralt-centric as they expected. Which I kind of understand. He's the main player character in those games and the one you follow the most of the time, so they're used to that. But eh, they were never going to please everyone. But, for someone like me who, who has a bit more knowledge and is a big fan of the setting and the mechanics of the world itself, they did a lot right IMO.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2019 02:09 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Galan007
That was my issue.

I've never played the games, or read the books/supplementary material, so I had absolutely NO clue what was going on at first... Especially when the episodes started time-hopping and whatnot. I was still able to piece the story together eventually, but it definitely wasn't written for a n00b like me. /shrug

I think a bit of time-skipping while hand-holding the reader/watcher is definitely part of good story telling.

HOWEVER, as the movie Alexander taught us, doing random time-skips without any hand holding is a terrible idea.

I am half tempted to recut The Witcher into a coherent timeline. Just edit in the parts into a chronological timeline. Perhaps even splice together the "stories" so you can watch the entire story unfold for one character as it happens, until the timelines all converge.

There's no reason, at all, that they could just start with Episode 4 (but leave out all the Jennefer story stuff). So at least the watcher can get an idea of why the Nilfgaardians destroy Cintra later on.

In fact, now that I think about it, it would be nice to do the first 4 episodes as the origin stories of:

Geralt
Jennefer
Ciri
Triss

And then make the next 2-3 episodes the history stuff that lead up to Cintra being destroyed.

Damn, I'm super tempted to make my own cut of this show, now. It wouldn't take long. Perhaps just a couple of hours.

I'll continue to watch the show at work while I doing boring change logging for all the stuff we have to do in Jan. smile

Last edited by dadudemon on Dec 27th, 2019 at 05:54 PM

Old Post Dec 27th, 2019 05:51 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I'm used to time jumps at this point, because a lot of other shows, like War of the Worlds, Treadstone, Titans etc. make liberal use of it nowadays. You almost half expect a flashback arc or something.

And it seems to vary from person to person with this. Because I know other people whose first exposure to The Witcher was this show, and they were able to follow it through to the end.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Dec 27th, 2019 at 06:23 PM

Old Post Dec 27th, 2019 06:19 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

I've watched the first three episodes.. I rather enjoy this.

Does Geralt eventually meet up with Yennifer and Ciri?

I've only played the game. I have;t read any of th novels but ill sometime in 2020

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Dec 28th, 2019 04:53 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WolvesofBabylon
Welcome to the machine

I knew nothing about the Witcher before starting the show and I really enjoyed the first season. I feel the 2nd half of the season really picked up and was some great television. I may check out the books now.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2019 02:17 PM
WolvesofBabylon is currently offline Click here to Send WolvesofBabylon a Private Message Find more posts by WolvesofBabylon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
I've watched the first three episodes.. I rather enjoy this.

Does Geralt eventually meet up with Yennifer and Ciri?

I've only played the game. I have;t read any of th novels but ill sometime in 2020

Yes and yes. (The 2nd right at the last scene of the season)

The first is a lot more.... eventful.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2019 05:11 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Yes and yes. (The 2nd right at the last scene of the season)

The first is a lot more.... eventful.

thanks

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Dec 28th, 2019 08:05 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

I forced myself to finish the first season and I have no desire to play the games or read the books.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2019 01:17 AM
juggernaut74 is currently offline Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Yennefer's actor has great boobs and she's hot. But why she gotta be naked so much?

Old Post Dec 29th, 2019 03:30 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

It was a bit gratuitous, yeah. It was appropriate for the transformation scene though, i thought.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Dec 29th, 2019 03:52 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

That's a gripe I've seen among quite a few reviewers and critics as well (probably one of the biggest, actually), and I can't really disagree. Especially when it's also kind of one-sided. For the men, it was generally more tastefully done, with shots either being strategically angled or out of focus to keep things less explicit.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2019 05:46 AM