KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Good Starting Points

Good Starting Points
Started by: Eon Blue

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ShadowFyre

I actually started off with Darkhorse Aliens vs. Predator comics.

And honestly, this site right here has taught me shitloads of things about comics and characters.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2018 03:59 PM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
staxamillion
Sir Snikts-A-Lot

Re: Good Starting Points

I like to use this just catch up on storyline I might want to jump into

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Publication_history_of_Marvel_Comics_crossover_eve
nts

dc is a little different for me but you can look up characters in the marvel.wiki dc.wiki sites just to get a gist of what's going on with a synopsis and character profiles. they give a decent starting point if you do a little research and they also tell when the stories start issue wise

Old Post Sep 10th, 2018 12:26 PM
staxamillion is currently offline Click here to Send staxamillion a Private Message Find more posts by staxamillion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Find a character you like and go from there.
'Nuff said.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2018 05:09 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
_

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Eon Blue
It seems like a number of you are extremely knowledgeable on various characters and story arcs that it’s unfathomable. Where did you get started with comics and where/what would you recommend to become on par?

I consider myself a novice and have limited exposure to certain characters (mainly Marvel), but the comic book world is so vast and daunting I don’t know where to begin.
My advice is - don't get lost in continuity. Don't get obsessed about knowing everything. Don't go "I will start with issue #100, and work my way up to #300". You'll get bored, since there's much shit in between good stories.

If you like a character, google their best stories, and go from there. The same with teams. In fact - I even recommend starting with teams, since you'll just branch off into the individual members' arcs afterwards. They don't even have to be in continuity. In time, you will see what type of story you like, discover new characters, and also whose writer's comics you enjoy, so you will also start reading up on them.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2018 07:12 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW

Good post, Phil thumb up

I totally agree. "Knowing everything" won't do too much good anyway, since writers/editors don't care about continuity these days.

Take a look at Cyber or Mandarin, for example. Dead? Yup. Did it stop Marvel from using those characters again and killing them - again - in the very same comic they resurfaced? No, it didn't.

Sometimes it's better to be oblivious to the history of those fictional universes.

Last edited by StiltmanFTW on Sep 17th, 2018 at 07:20 PM

Old Post Sep 17th, 2018 07:17 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote