KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Darth Vader - Comic Book Thread

Darth Vader - Comic Book Thread
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (48): « First ... « 44 45 [46] 47 48 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sheev
The All-Sith

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
Preview for issue #25:
(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Vader uses his TK to stop the ship, until its Destroyer-class Ion engines kicked in(the same engines used to propel Star Destroyers)... And even then he was still damaging its circuitry.

It's a good showing, but considering the events of this issue seem to take place immediately after the previous issue, I would imagine that Vader is still significantly weakened as a result of that planetary energy-draining blast he soaked(the artwork while he's using his TK seems to indicate that, imo)... If so, it makes the feat far more impressive.
Vader just took a planet draining blast minutes before this happened. There's no way he ISN'T still weakened.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2022 05:54 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Palpatine owns Vader with low-diff:
(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Vader was still using Kirak's saber hilt, so this 'lesson' would have taken place shortly after the events of RotS.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2022 11:09 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Low-diff ? That looked like a blitz !

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2022 11:51 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

He disarmed Vader in like 5 panels, so yeah.

But that was Vader not long after ROTS when he was still adapting to the armor, so not really surprising that Sidious was able to dominate him like that. This was Vader WAY before his prime.

Also like the explanation Sidious gives for sabers- they are just a symbol of power for a Sith. Their primary "weapon" is the dark side itself.

Last edited by Sheev on Jul 22nd, 2022 at 12:24 PM

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2022 12:19 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Oh I missed the 3 smaller panels. Still Sidious was clearly toying.

But yeah doesnt prove much being right after ROTS.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2022 12:27 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

Yeah Vader got wrecked. Kinda disappointed as I was hoping for a closer fight, but it makes sense since this is Vader shortly after getting the suit.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2022 12:52 PM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Honestly that close after ROTS, he's probably not even Dooku level yet. It'd be a surprise if Vader didn't get wrecked.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2022 01:22 PM
Sheev
The All-Sith

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Honestly that close after ROTS, he's probably not even Dooku level yet. It'd be a surprise if Vader didn't get wrecked.
thumb up

Vader's armor was an absolute hindrance until he acclimated to it and fully embraced the dark side (this was established in Lords of the Sith novel). Point being, he was nowhere near his peak during this sparring match.

Obviously Sidious would still wreck Vader in an all out battle, like we've already seen in the comics. But I feel like peak Vader would be very close to (if not above) his level in pure sabers at least.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2022 03:06 PM
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Impressive feat for Sid, but still, is this Vader even above the likes of Ventress or Grevious?

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2022 07:45 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Hard to pin down what level Vader was operating at back then. As mentioned, Vader was still using Kirak's hilt, so I'd say his 'fight' with Palpatine took place a few weeks after RotS... So well before he was accustomed to the suit, well before he began fully embracing the dark side, well before he started hitting his 'prime', etc.

But given n00b-Vader's showing against Kirak(who was stated to be more powerful than any Jedi he'd ever faced, which would include Kenobi), I'd say he was still probably above Ventress-level, but below Dooku-level at the time. Prime Vader is obviously a MUCH different story, though.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2022 10:29 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Sheev
Vader just took a planet draining blast minutes before this happened. There's no way he ISN'T still weakened.

He took a what?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2022 01:18 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Hard to pin down what level Vader was operating at back then. As mentioned, Vader was still using Kirak's hilt, so I'd say his 'fight' with Palpatine took place a few weeks after RotS... So well before he was accustomed to the suit, well before he began fully embracing the dark side, well before he started hitting his 'prime', etc.

But given n00b-Vader's showing against Kirak(who was stated to be more powerful than any Jedi he'd ever faced, which would include Kenobi), I'd say he was still probably above Ventress-level, but below Dooku-level at the time. Prime Vader is obviously a MUCH different story, though.

is this not the vader who took a "planet draining blast"?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2022 01:18 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I mean, it's obviously the same character, but from an in-universe POV the showings took place like 20 years apart.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2022 01:49 AM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

I mean, it's obviously the same character, but from an in-universe POV the showings took place like 20 years apart.

Okay so I looked at the comic and the next one. Vader didn't tank a planetary drainer. He tanked which was the same ]kind[/I] of technolgy. The "extent" of the forcer drain with that gun was much much smaller.

Addtionally, the actual planet drainer, shown in the next comic was, besides being much bigger, draining the planet over a lengthy period of time.

So saying Vader tanked planetary level drain is just off by several orders of magnitude

Old Post Jul 24th, 2022 03:28 AM
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Yeah tbh I noticed that too but since I haven’t read the whole comic I didn’t say anything

Old Post Jul 24th, 2022 08:06 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Okay so I looked at the comic and the next one. Vader didn't tank a planetary drainer. He tanked which was the same ]kind[/I] of technolgy. The "extent" of the forcer drain with that gun was much much smaller.

Addtionally, the actual planet drainer, shown in the next comic was, besides being much bigger, draining the planet over a lengthy period of time.

So saying Vader tanked planetary level drain is just off by several orders of magnitude
This is true.

With the added context established in the following issue, we now know that Vader did not soak a literal planet-draining blast. Thank God. He just soaked an energy-draining blast of unknown magnitude.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2022 12:30 PM
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

But Vader's showing against Kirak was pretty lackluster. He was easily defeated by the jedi master, and then managed to force-choke him only because Kirak was distraught at the sight of the city being flodded and wasn't focused on him anymore. We can't really use that fight to scale Vader above the likes of Ventress, who would've surely put up a better fight against the jedi master.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2022 10:26 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

You're not wrong, as Kirak definitely seemed to be above Vader. Though it is worth mentioning that Vader's armor was heavily compromised during both of his fights with Kirak, and he also didn't have a proper lightsaber... So yeah, probably not the best way to gauge his level at the time.

Although, a fresh Vader did stomp GI with ease(along with a few other members of the Inquisitorius off-panel), almost immediately after his battle with Kirak. Perhaps that is a better way to try and gauge him?

Last edited by Galan007 on Jul 25th, 2022 at 12:04 AM

Old Post Jul 24th, 2022 11:53 PM
Sheev
The All-Sith

Filoni did imply that the best Inquisitors are at least in Asajj's ballpark, so noob Vader curbing GI like he did is probably the better way to scale him.

But I agree that putting noob Vader somewhere between Asajj and Dooku (probably closer to the former then the latter) is logical, and would still account for a HUGE power gimp compared to where he was at during ROTS.

Last edited by Sheev on Jul 25th, 2022 at 12:09 AM

Old Post Jul 25th, 2022 12:04 AM
Darth Thor

Between Ventress and Dooku, so like Maul level. Although tbf Maul is probably much closer to Dooku on the spectrum than Ventress.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2022 11:08 AM