KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Power Man vs Iron Fist

Power Man vs Iron Fist
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

Power Man vs Iron Fist

Lets do this.

Forget who won in the comics (It's actually pretty even). Could Cage's best durability feats defeat the Iron Fist's best punching feats?

Who wins?

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2018 01:52 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Well, in the comics...

j/k, i’m undecided.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2018 03:58 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Me too. smile

Claremont was all over the map on Cage's durability.

This is Cage taking an Iron Fist:

(please log in to view the image)

Looks cut and dry, Cage can tank the Iron Fist.

The problem is, Claremont also wrote this:

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Po...p;readType=0#12

A bunch of absurdly silver age robot goons some gangster made (Because every low rent thug had super weapons back then.). Cage couldn't dent them, and actually hurt his hand trying.

A single Iron Fist scrapped about a half dozen of these things.

So Claremont has Cage > Iron Fist directly, but < Iron Fist indirectly.

I dunno, maybe he just didn't think it through. Or maybe he was told not to make Cage look bad in their fight by editorial (It was originally his solo series, after all), and he went all in to satisfy them, then passive aggressively wrote his real opinion on their power levels?

You got me, but it's an interesting bit of contradictory writing from the same writer.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2018 04:29 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Or maybe Cage more durable than he is strong. Though that 'hurt his hand' is pretty bad.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Oct 8th, 2018 07:10 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Philosophía
Or maybe Cage more durable than he is strong. Though that 'hurt his hand' is pretty bad.

Exactly the part that confuses me.

He was also knocked cold by an even bigger robot.

He got to punch that particular model apart later, but only after Danny showed him where the weak points were.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2018 08:09 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus

Cage has always fluctuated, even in terms of losses and during an era where comics where a lot more consistent. When Bannerless Hulk one-shotted him through Skyscrapers, it should have liquidated him, not just knocked him out.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2018 10:55 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Absolutely.

From writer to writer, Cage varies wildly. The interesting thing here, is both showings were from Claremont, within the first five issues he wrote of Power Man and Iron Fist.

Comparing, say, Priest to Mary Jo Duffy is one thing. Priest, A.K.A. Owlsley, had the famous one hit KO Iron Fist.

While MJD had this conversation:

Danny: You're going to kill him!

Cage: Then why don't you try and stop me?

Danny: You know I can't! But this isn't you!

She also wrote Danny unable to harm a character named Warhawk, who has steel hard skin like Cage. And then had Luke soundly defeat him.

So ok, one writer thinks Cage is > Iron Fist, and one thinks Cage < Iron Fist, and this shows in everything they write.

Claremont, his writing shows both. A full power IF can't defeat Cage, and yet he has no trouble against robots Cage hurts his hands on.

It gets worse: Claremont also co-wrote another story with Warhawk, and had Danny KO him, without using the Iron Fist.

It was a terrible story, but it happened. The Iron Fist was only used to bust a dam, while "steel hard skin" Warhawk went down to a series of spin kicks and a backhand.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2018 12:36 AM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Re: Power Man vs Iron Fist

Originally posted by cdtm
Lets do this.

Forget who won in the comics (It's actually pretty even). Could Cage's best durability feats defeat the Iron Fist's best punching feats?

Who wins?

You want to use their classic versions only? Or just wanted to start with those?

Old Post Oct 10th, 2018 04:07 AM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by Philosophía

There's no "maybe". That's how Cage works.

Of course, his strength level has increased dramatically over the years... there's no denying that. He can even thunderclap now.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2018 04:09 AM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

^^^So could this girl i knew in Hoboken back in the day. She made good money w. that move.

I’m tentatively leaning towards Cage in this one after some thought.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2018 05:33 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Horrificus

Originally posted by cdtm

The problem is, Claremont also wrote this:

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Po...p;readType=0#12

Oh my God. That was TERRIBLE.
Now I remember y I stuck to FF, Doctor Strange, Thor and X-Men.
There were some great books back then. But there was some real crap also.
Seriously. I dont want to remember ANY of that book.
It's depressing me.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2018 07:27 AM
Horrificus is currently offline Click here to Send Horrificus a Private Message Find more posts by Horrificus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

It wasn't Claremonts best work, I'll admit.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2018 01:50 PM
denisbill
Senior

I dunno, maybe he just didn't think it through. Or maybe he was told not to make Cage look bad in their fight by editorial (It was originally his solo series, after all), and he went all in to satisfy them, then passive-aggressively wrote his real opinion on their power levels?

Old Post Oct 25th, 2018 06:33 AM
denisbill is currently offline Click here to Send denisbill a Private Message Find more posts by denisbill Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Cage has always fluctuated, even in terms of losses and during an era where comics where a lot more consistent. When Bannerless Hulk one-shotted him through Skyscrapers, it should have liquidated him, not just knocked him out.

I might go Cage I also read somewhere that he had become more powerful post his upgrade in the Cage series.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Luke_Cage_(Earth-616)

After undergoing the original experiment, Cage's strength was increased to superhuman levels. Initially, it was only sufficient enough to lift approximately 5 tons, but with a second Burstein Process, intensive/extensive physical training, and years of experience as a superhero, his strength was increased to approximately 25 tons and he is able to punch through barriers as thick as 4-inch steel plate.[63][60] While his experience fighting crime allows for him to gauge the amount of force he exerts, he has been known to cut loose in cases of extreme stress often hinting that he's much stronger than his limits suggest. His strength is currently increased to 50 tons or much more.[64]

That bit on bold is from New Avengers Vol 2 #10 apparently.

Old Post Oct 26th, 2018 08:45 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Deadline
I might go Cage I also read somewhere that he had become more powerful post his upgrade in the Cage series.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Luke_Cage_(Earth-616)

After undergoing the original experiment, Cage's strength was increased to superhuman levels. Initially, it was only sufficient enough to lift approximately 5 tons, but with a second Burstein Process, intensive/extensive physical training, and years of experience as a superhero, his strength was increased to approximately 25 tons and he is able to punch through barriers as thick as 4-inch steel plate.[63][60] While his experience fighting crime allows for him to gauge the amount of force he exerts, he has been known to cut loose in cases of extreme stress often hinting that he's much stronger than his limits suggest. His strength is currently increased to 50 tons or much more.[64]

That bit on bold is from New Avengers Vol 2 #10 apparently.

That goes for Danny too, though. The Living Weapon series established he can super amp himself off chi from the environment, people, animals, ect.

He's also fairly tough now. Prince of Orphans hit him with a chi attack that looked like a Kamehameha, blasted him from K'un L'un into the sky, and he came in like a missile skipping along ice and snow. And he walked away.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2018 05:59 PM
Vanguard

Iron Fist. I like Luke Cage and he stands a pretty good chance. But Danny's got it.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2018 04:04 AM
Vanguard is currently offline Click here to Send Vanguard a Private Message Find more posts by Vanguard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

Luke Cage would be able to handle pretty much anything Danny throws at him, and knock his lights out sooner or later.

Not easily, but he'd endure long enough for a victory.

-Abhi Killer- X2

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t655309.html

Old Post Oct 29th, 2018 04:49 AM
Damborgson is currently offline Click here to Send Damborgson a Private Message Find more posts by Damborgson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Originally posted by Damborgson
Luke Cage would be able to handle pretty much anything Danny throws at him, and knock his lights out sooner or later.

Not easily, but he'd endure long enough for a victory.

Not a high end IF.

-General Zod: Superman II

Old Post Oct 29th, 2018 05:16 AM
h1a8 is currently offline Click here to Send h1a8 a Private Message Find more posts by h1a8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

High end cage can deal with high end iron fist.

-Abhi Killer- X2

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t655309.html

Old Post Oct 29th, 2018 05:22 AM
Damborgson is currently offline Click here to Send Damborgson a Private Message Find more posts by Damborgson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote