KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Vader vs A Team

Vader vs A Team
Started by: Azronger

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LordOfTheLight

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BestDebaterEver
That is if you insist Lucas was talking about fixed points in time.

My entire argument hinges on the premise that he was not talking about any fixed points in time but a general progression lol

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 03:26 PM
Click here to Send LordOfTheLight a Private Message Find more posts by LordOfTheLight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordOfTheLight

Originally posted by TenebrousWay
Lucas is talking about the finished product Vader had become, in reference to the (then) finished trilogies. He isn't making a chronological narration of Anakin's trajetory but merely a recollection of events from the perspective of the finished material.

Dude, he clearly says that "from then on, Vader was not as strong as the emperor, he was like Dooku or Maul, he wasn't what he was supposed to become".

That is as clear as indication that Lucas was talking about a general passage of time as any you will ever get. Not sure how it can be clearer than that.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 03:30 PM
Click here to Send LordOfTheLight a Private Message Find more posts by LordOfTheLight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

quote:
The thing that is the whole point of the entire passage is and what Lucas wanted to convey is that

Vader can never surpass the Emperor

The quote speaks about many subjects, not just that Vader can't surpass the Emperor. For instance, Lucas talks about how Anakin had applicable powers on par with the Emperor.

quote:
Now, people, let common sense take over. What could Lucas possibly mean by saying that from "then on" he wasn't as strong as the emperor?

Why would Lucas make a blanket statement saying and using the phrase "from then on" to compare the power of Vader and the Emperor? Obviously the phrase itself is used to compare and contrast the relative strengths of the two combatants with the passage of time, and to establish that the relationship between their respective powers( in that Vader will always be inferior to Sidious) never changes with the passage of time?

Shocker It is almost like Lucas is trying to say, by saying that with the passage of time, that Vader is inferior to Sidious, that that basic fact never changes?

"From then on, he wasn't as strong as the Emperor" means that Vader again never reached the powers of the Emperor. It's not complex.

quote:
Almost like he is trying to say that Vader's potential is inferior to that of Sidious's?

You can draw a conclusion that if Vader can't ever reach the Emperor's power, he either has inferior potential power or equal potential power (since he started off at a lower point), but the direct meaning of that specific sentence is explicit: Anakin used to have powers on par with the Emperor, but after Mustafar he's no longer Sidious-level and never again reached Sidious-level.

quote:
But yeah, it's almost like Lucas has ascribed a certain fixed value to Vader's powers in that even 19 BBY broken and battered and a newbie Vader, a complete stranger to the ways of the Sith has power comparable to the likes of Count Dooku or Darth Maul , or at least, brilliant Darthant has it already concluded so.

I think it's self-evident that Lucas is referring to Vader's powers as shown in his films and isn't invoking Legends anyway.

(But, if you demand it refers to 19 BBY, consider Palpatine says Vader has great power already within him and just needs to awake it - just that said power within is "like Dooku or Maul" level.)

quote:
rather than recognize the basic fact that Maul and Dooku were never meant to surpass Sidious too( at least at that time),

"He wasn't as strong as the Emperor - he was like Darth Maul or Count Dooku" isn't the same as "He couldn't be as strong as the Emperor, like Darth Maul or Count Dooku," lmao.

quote:
and that Vader's potential is what is being compared with the likes of Maul and Dooku, not his actualized power?

So, to explain to the interviewer Vader's relative standing to the Emperor, Lucas referred to the unknown potential power of two far more unknown characters as a reference point, lmao? Rather than, you know, saying Vader has powers comparable with Maul and Dooku, and given we know Maul and Dooku's powers, such is an actually useful and relevant claim.

Your argument is bad and you should feel bad. thumb up

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 03:42 PM

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 03:32 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TenebrousWay
God Tier Vaylin

@LotL

Lucas merely estabilished a inflection point from where Vader stopped being as strong as the Emperor and was "more like Darth Maul and Count Dooku." His views, in particular, composed the finished product Vader turned out to be not what he was in 19 BBY.

"On the edge of sanity"

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 03:44 PM
Click here to Send TenebrousWay a Private Message Find more posts by TenebrousWay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordOfTheLight

Originally posted by Jaggarath
The quote speaks about many subjects, not just that Vader can't surpass the Emperor. For instance, Lucas talks about how Anakin had applicable powers on par with the Emperor.

"From then on, he wasn't as strong as the Emperor" means that Vader again never reached the powers of the Emperor. It's not complex.

You can draw a conclusion that if Vader can't ever reach the Emperor's power, he either has inferior potential power or equal potential power, but the direct meaning of that specific sentence is explicit: Anakin used to have powers on par with the Emperor, but after Mustafar he's no longer Sidious-level and never again reached Sidious-level.

I think it's self-evident that Lucas is referring to Vader's powers as shown in the films and isn't invoking Legends.

(But, if you demand it refers to 19 BBY, consider Palpatine says Vader has great power already within him and just needs to awake it - just that said power within is "like Dooku or Maul" level.)

"He wasn't as strong as the Emperor - he was like Darth Maul or Count Dooku" isn't the same as "He couldn't be as strong as the Emperor - he was like Darth Maul or Count Dooku," lmao.

[/b]

So, to explain to the interviewer Vader's relative standing to the Emperor, Lucas referred to the unknown potential power of two far more unknown characters as a reference point, lmao?

Rather than, you know, saying Vader has powers comparable to Maul and Dooku, which is an actually useful and relevant claim.

Your argument is bad and you should feel bad. thumb up [/B]

1. Not relevant to the main point.

2. So what? I literally stated the same thing

Vader can never surpass the Emperor

3. You basically said that "Vader would never become Sidious level"

So what lol? That is the exact same thing I said

4. Last time I checked, Revenge of the Sith was a legitimate movie

5. Yeah but

"From then on he wasn't as strong as the Emperor, he was like Darth Maul or Count Dooku" does mean that "he couldn't be as strong as the emperor, he was like Darth Maul or Count Dooku". Let's not leave out key words here

You know, the whole rant about how Lucas was comparing the strengths of Vader and the emperor as a relative function of time, instead of blankly stating it for one specific time period, which, last I checked, with any common sense, is an allusion to potential, something which you have literally not addressed

6. Yeah, because at that time, it was evident that neither Maul nor Dooku would ever surpass Sidious lol.

7. You still haven't addressed the nonsensical conclusions, nor have you even begun to make something of an argument as to why the quote refers to power rather than the obvious conclusion being that it refers to potential other than some "Lol, Lucas obviously would want to clarify things to the interviewer in that particular way", while assuming that it wasn't obvious to people back then that both Maul and Dooku were just meant to be pawns and not true successors to Sidious

8. You reference Legends hilariously, but ignore that Vader has repeatedly stated to have grown vastly at multiple points in Legends, something which would obviously propel him much beyond Dooku or Maul level when you want to assert that 19 BBY Vader is comparable in ability to Dooku or Maul which is the conclusion you get when you take the quote to mean power instead of potential

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 03:53 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Care to actually quote what on Earth you're actually talking about for each of those numbers, lmao? I wrote a response then deleted it because half the time I'm just asking what you're even responding to. I can't rebut and/or agree with you when your rebuttals don't make any sense.

In the meanwhile, this one I picked up clearly:

quote:
8. You reference Legends hilariously, but ignore that Vader has repeatedly stated to have grown vastly at multiple points in Legends, something which would obviously propel him much beyond Dooku or Maul level when you want to assert that 19 BBY Vader is comparable in ability to Dooku or Maul which is the conclusion you get when you take the quote to mean power instead of potential

Which would be Vader unlocking that Maul / Dooku power within, lmao. It's not hard to follow.

---

Just attach specific quotes to each part you're responding to, then we can continue it. thumb up

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 04:06 PM

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 04:03 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordOfTheLight

Originally posted by TenebrousWay
@LotL

Lucas merely estabilished a inflection point from where Vader stopped being as strong as the Emperor and was "more like Darth Maul and Count Dooku." His views, in particular, composed the finished product Vader turned out to be not what he was in 19 BBY.

The entire point is about the part of the quote where it refers to Dooku and Maul and since you have clearly agreed that that points to the inflection point which was in reality 19 BBY, there needs to be no further discussion here.

Now we can twist and turn and argue and debate on this but you clearly agree that this was the gist of it

"19 BBY onwards Vader was not as strong as the Emperor he was like Count Dooku or Darth Maul"

Which was the exact meaning. No need to bring Vader's unrealized potential or any other part of the quote into this. To now argue that Lucas was referring to ROTJ Vader when comparing him to Maul or Dooku when he clearly explicitly alludes to 19 BBY Vader being comparable to Maul or Dooku is just justifying it with mental gymnastics

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 04:04 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

To clarify, type [ quote ] and [/ quote ] around whatever text you're responding to, minus the spaces.

There's a fifteen minute timer to edit posts. If you miss that, then just post it again with the appropriate quoting.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 04:06 PM
LordOfTheLight

Care to actually quote what on Earth you're actually talking about for each of those numbers, lmao? I wrote a response then deleted it because half the time I'm just asking what you're even responding to. I can't rebut and/or agree with you when your rebuttals don't make any sense.

Which would be Vader unlocking that Maul / Dooku power within, lmao. It's not hard to follow.

---

Just attach specific quotes to each part you're responding to, then we can continue it. thumb up

The formatting is garbage here. It is just much easier to point mark each statement and then continue.

Take each point to mean each statement in your response. I added more points in the end just to elaborate

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 04:08 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Then just put numbers next to my post so I see what corresponds with what, since there's a lot more numbers then I have lines, lmao.

When you do that, I can get back to you after Accounting. thumb up

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 04:09 PM
LordOfTheLight

Instead of wasting time here, since I am multitasking on doing projects as well for college, just put points on each paragraph of your counter that correspond to mine

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 04:11 PM
LordOfTheLight

Can't edit. Will get back to this later

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 04:12 PM
TenebrousWay
God Tier Vaylin

@LotL

You'd be correct if not for this sentence:

quote:
He wasn’t what he was supposed to become. But the son could become that.

This clearly shows he's talking about the finished product Vader actually turned out to be - and it wasn't what he was supposed to become. Otherwise, there'd be no reason to affirm this if Vader's trajectory hadn't ended. Then, he says Luke could still become what Vader failed to be, in terms of power. It'd make no sense that Luke's potential "could become that".

"On the edge of sanity"

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 04:13 PM
Click here to Send TenebrousWay a Private Message Find more posts by TenebrousWay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Great point. thumb up

—

LOTL: The issue is all your points are vague, short, and repetitive, so I cant respond if I don’t know what your points are specifically referring to.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 04:32 PM
TenebrousWay
God Tier Vaylin

Also, let's not forget that the main subject of the quote is Vader trying to turn Luke to the dark side:

quote:
“And when he finds out Luke is his son, his first impulse is to figure out a way of getting him to join him to kill the Emperor.[...]

The comparison between Vader, Sidious, Maul, Dooku and eventually Luke are just an explanation and elaboration on why Vader wanted to turn Luke to the dark side.

So, in addition to the last sentence I provided in my previous post, it's clear Lucas is referring to the finished character and not a iteration of it that didn't even know he had a son.

"On the edge of sanity"

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 04:47 PM
LordOfTheLight

Dude, I don't have a lot of time right now due to heavy college commitments. I'll get to it when I can

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 05:30 PM
TheIndyJedi

Vader obviously isn't better than Emperor or peak Revenge of the Sith Anakin but he is still better than Maul and Dooku even if he is on their tier.
And it is more evident in canon.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 06:51 PM
Click here to Send TheIndyJedi a Private Message Find more posts by TheIndyJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheNuisanceBird
Wrecker - Scientist Class

Originally posted by AncientPower
Good Lord, Vader gets soloed by all of them. They godstomp him together.

"Dooku is not top tier,-" - Jensaarai1.

YouTube Channel With VS Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhNQdtnbLQf80P-91V917w
IG: red_spade_25
Twitter: @AnikenJonas

Old Post Oct 25th, 2018 01:03 AM
Click here to Send TheNuisanceBird a Private Message Find more posts by TheNuisanceBird Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheIndyJedi

Vader when he just got his suit was already stomping jedi im the purge comic. He definitely surpassed both Dooku and Maul not long after.

---

Old Post Nov 1st, 2018 12:28 PM
Click here to Send TheIndyJedi a Private Message Find more posts by TheIndyJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azwronger
Restricted

Account Restricted

Vader blitzes Vaylin and Outlander, ragdolls Arcann, and stomps Revan.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2018 05:05 PM
Click here to Send Azwronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azwronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote