KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Why do you care about gender?

Why do you care about gender?
Started by: Krypton007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rage.Of.Olympus

Re: Re: Why do you care about gender?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Because we live in a society that socializes people to accept a particular system of gender.

The very existence of transgender people subverts this system in which people are heavily-invested.

Are you saying Gender is a social construct? Sex is binary with a few extremely rare cases. Gender and sex overlap significantly for a large number of people. Society doesn’t socialize people to accept a particular system of gender. Reality does.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2018 08:57 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Okie doke, bud. Whatever you and your handwritten dictionary say.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2018 04:58 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Are you saying Gender is a social construct? Sex is binary with a few extremely rare cases. Gender and sex overlap significantly for a large number of people. Society doesn’t socialize people to accept a particular system of gender. Reality does.

Gender is a social construct.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2018 03:35 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Social constructs are a social construct.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2018 03:50 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus

Male/female is biology.

Masculine/feminine is the construct.

Guys have a penis, is reality. Guys don't wear skirts, is a construct.

The muddy part, how much of biology goes into gender roles, and how much is social conditioning.

For example, many guys are aggressive. Gun shootings are far more common among men, then they are among women. Can this all be social conditioning?

But not all guys are aggressive. Some are passive. Many are not.

The bullshit Frankfurt school Adam probably subscribes to (No offense, Adam. stick out tongue ) would argue it's all social construct. I, personally, don't trust their view as objective, because they were founded with the purpose of subversion, and people who don't fit into social norms have a vested interest in dismantling norms, or at the least modifying them so they can more comfortably fit in to the mainstream.

I think it's a futile effort, myself. After decades of theory, people still largely behave as they have since the 1940's. Even liberals don't "really" fully accept those they claim to represent, as examples are abound of disparity within their own communities. Alll that's changed, is what people say, but not what they do.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2018 04:03 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Why do you care about gender?

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Because we live in a society that socializes people to...

A parents love for their child: Is this social construct?

If not for socialization, would parents have a unique attachment to their children?

Or could this be founded in biology?

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2018 04:12 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Re: Re: Why do you care about gender?

Originally posted by cdtm
A parents love for their child: Is this social construct?

If not for socialization, would parents have a unique attachment to their children?

Or could this be founded in biology?

Probably in part, but the strong bond (to the point of self sacrifice in some species) parents have with their offspring probably has a lot to do with biology and evolution, especially in mammals where offspring usually rely on a parent(s) to survive. eg if mommy dear didn't feed and protect baby deer, deer would cease to exist barring outside influences.

The parent-offspring bond might be mixed in there with survival instincts as well.

Also this:

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Nov 12th, 2018 07:19 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KyCooool

What??

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 06:53 AM
KyCooool is currently offline Click here to Send KyCooool a Private Message Find more posts by KyCooool Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Leftists think Gender is Fluid...but the only FLUID is their brains leaking out of their ears.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 07:14 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

There are only two genders.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 05:44 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Still self-triggering over gender, oh my. Maybe make a New Years resolution to just let it go?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 05:54 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
Still self-triggering over gender, oh my. Maybe make a New Years resolution to just let it go?

Stop projecting, nobody cares.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 05:57 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

You two just need to kiss and make up.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 06:01 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jessica Tandy
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BackFire
That's a brilliant defense and I'm going to use it.

Careful. A Soviet agent is about to infiltrate your NRA.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2018 04:20 PM
Jessica Tandy is currently offline Click here to Send Jessica Tandy a Private Message Find more posts by Jessica Tandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jessica Tandy
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Surtur
There are only two genders.

(please log in to view the image)

Which one are you?

Old Post Dec 15th, 2018 04:24 PM
Jessica Tandy is currently offline Click here to Send Jessica Tandy a Private Message Find more posts by Jessica Tandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote