KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Is Thrawn evil in canon?

Is Thrawn evil in canon?
Started by: Mendax

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

Was an example of a war crime.

But I get it. Everyone freaks out over the R word. Which is why I used it thumb up

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 02:34 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beelzebub

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Key part underlined.

Of course massive loads of atrocities happen in war times. But point is we still accept them as atrocities, and have a code of conduct we support even during war times.

For example its well known during war times there are many cases of rape, even from the so called civilised sides. But we still accept that as an awful crime.

The thing is, there are plenty of things things people would consider "evil" if it were to happen in normal everyday life that is accepted during wartime. And again, evil is dependent on your definition of the word.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 05:03 PM
Click here to Send Beelzebub a Private Message Find more posts by Beelzebub Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

Originally posted by Galan007
Thrawn wasn't even a rapist, afaik. Poor analogy all around. thumb down
But Trench was. blink

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 05:25 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Was an example of a war crime.

But I get it. Everyone freaks out over the R word. Which is why I used it thumb up
Again, it's all about perspective.

Thrawn did not maliciously kill that worker for the lulz. The worker was killed because he was producing faulty equipment that was malfunctioning on the field of battle and subsequently killing Imperial troops. His death served as an 'inspiration' to the rest of the workers to start doing their jobs properly, and was responsible for drastically improving the overall production quality of that factory. This, in turn, actually saved an untold number of Imperial soldiers from dying by way of their own poorly constructed equipment.

Moreover, had that worker been doing his job adequately from the get-go, he would've had nothing to fear as the speeder wouldn't have exploded in the first place.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 6th, 2018 at 07:07 PM

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 06:07 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ You know firing him probably could have worked too right?

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 07:10 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Simply firing the worker wouldn't have motivated the other workers nearly as much, if at all. The problem with poor craftsmanship(and malfunctioning equipment) would have persisted, and Imperial troops would have continued dying as a corollary.

Perspective.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 07:23 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mendax
Hand of God

I understand what you're saying and it makes sense. But you'd think they would have started with a lesser punishment then death right off the bat, lol.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 07:48 PM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Oh I'm sure local Imperial management tried several other alternatives beforehand, but none of those directives/punishments worked on a broad enough scale to permanently fix the issue.

You can't tell me that having the third highest ranking being in the entire Empire directly intervene was a first resort. If something as simple as a quality control issue at a single factory on a single world warranted Thrawn's direct attention, it means the problem had likely persisted for a considerable amount of time without being resolved... So when Thrawn finally intervened, he handled it in the most efficient(and permanent) way possible.

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 6th, 2018 at 08:22 PM

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 08:17 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Galan007
Simply firing the worker wouldn't have motivated the other workers nearly as much, if at all.

It probably would actually. Even Imperials need to pay the bills. They could easily be blacklisted on top so they cant find alternative jobs.

Also im getting worried you truly believe in your argument.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 09:02 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

If they would have fired every worker that was producing shoddy equipment at that factory, they would've also lost a good portion of their staff, and therefore would not have been able to produce an adequate quantity of vehicles to reach their quota. This is counterproductive.

One worker's death(at the hands of his own poorly constructed vehicle, mind you) not only resolved the production quality issue of that factory by making an irrefutable statement to the rest of the workers, but also saved the lives of untold numbers of Imperial troops who had to rely on said equipment in the field. Prior to this, Imperial troops were dying and battles were being lost solely because of the subpar vehicles that factory was producing.

It was a direct and efficient resolution. Sacrifice one to save hundreds/thousands.

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 6th, 2018 at 09:30 PM

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 09:24 PM
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

Galan seems to outsmart all of you. erm

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 09:26 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beelzebub

Not only that but the workers seemed to have been conscripted into the job or only taken the job in order to sabotage the equipment from what I remember of the episode.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 11:43 PM
Click here to Send Beelzebub a Private Message Find more posts by Beelzebub Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

thumb up

One of the reasons for Thrawn's visit is because he suspected purposeful sabotage from the workers, and wanted to investigate the factory personally.

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 7th, 2018 at 12:36 AM

Old Post Dec 7th, 2018 12:27 AM
Darth Thor

Hmm I suppose if they werent saboteurs theyd have nothing to worry about with Thrawns random selection.

And knowing the Empire theyd be executed if found guilty of that crime anyway.

Will have to find something more evil to prove Thrawns evilness

Old Post Dec 7th, 2018 12:46 AM