KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Thrawn: Treason

Thrawn: Treason
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Thrawn: Treason

(please log in to view the image)

quote:
Grand Admiral Thrawn faces the ultimate test of his loyalty to the Empire in this epic Star Wars novel from bestselling author Timothy Zahn.

"If I were to serve the Empire, you would command my allegiance."

Such was the promise Grand Admiral Thrawn made to Emperor Palpatine at their first meeting. Since then, Thrawn has been one of the Empire's most effective instruments, pursuing its enemies to the very edges of the known galaxy. But as keen a weapon as Thrawn has become, the Emperor dreams of something far more destructive.

Now, as Thrawn's TIE defender program is halted in favor of Director Krennic's secret Death Star project, he realizes that the balance of power in the Empire is measured by more than just military acumen or tactical efficiency. Even the greatest intellect can hardly compete with the power to annihilate entire planets.

As Thrawn works to secure his place in the Imperial hierarchy, his former protege Eli Vanto returns with a dire warning about Thrawn's homeworld. Thrawn's mastery of strategy must guide him through an impossible choice: duty to the Chiss Ascendancy, or fealty to the Empire he has sworn to serve. Even if the right choice means committing treason.

Star Wars: Thrawn: Treason will be available for pre-order next week and arriving on shelves in the summer of 2019.

Source

**The release date is officially listed as July 23, 2019**

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on May 9th, 2019 at 05:31 PM

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 09:16 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord GOAT
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 09:22 PM
Click here to Send Lord GOAT a Private Message Find more posts by Lord GOAT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Remember when the Empire could support multiple projects? Pepperridge Farm remembers. But really though the premise sounds interesting.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 09:36 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007

How the fvck are they going to make this fit within continuity? Thrawn and Sheev seem to get along just fine during season 4 of Rebels, including the finale.

Didn't the last one take place before/during season 4 as well?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 09:44 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HP Legend

Looks good.

"You were weak when I found you. I did not expect you to survive your training. But now, your hatred has become your strength. At last, the dark side is your ally. "

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 10:34 PM
Click here to Send HP Legend a Private Message Find more posts by HP Legend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthCaedus77

Originally posted by HP Legend
Looks good.

"We stand on a tipping point where we can choose chaos, or order"
-Jacen Solo

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 10:46 PM
Click here to Send DarthCaedus77 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthCaedus77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by The_Tempest
How the fvck are they going to make this fit within continuity? Thrawn and Sheev seem to get along just fine during season 4 of Rebels, including the finale.

Didn't the last one take place before/during season 4 as well?
I'm curious about the timeline as well.

The previous novel took place between season 3 and season 4, just after the battle of Atollon. Fast-forward to S04E10, and Tarkin had arranged a meeting between Thrawn and Palpatine, so that Thrawn could discuss the importance of his TIE Defender project over that of the Death Star -- implying that Palpatine hadn't yet decided which project should take immediate precedence. Of course, later in the same episode is when the fuel supply for the Defenders was destroyed, which compromised the entire project -- this failure is likely why Palpatine opted to divert all funding to the Death Star.

That said, the description for this novel implies that it is set after Palpatine had decided to put Thrawn's project on the back-burner... Which means it should logically be set sometime between S04E10 and the finale.

As for the 'treason' thing: in the previous novel, Vader accused Thrawn of treason when he was planning to use Imperial assets to attack the squadron of Grysk forces. Even though the Grysk only posed an immediate threat to a small number of Chiss at the time, Thrawn explained that engaging them would be mutually beneficial to both the Chiss AND the Empire... And Vader begrudgingly agreed.

I imagine the same type of scenario(albeit on a larger scale) will present itself in this upcoming novel: the Chiss homeworld will be under assault from Grysk forces, and Thrawn will want to deploy an abundance of Imperial resources to assist them... Except this time Thrawn will have to explain his motives to Palpatine himself, who will question where his loyalty truly lies. Might even be a "better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission" type of scenario, wherein Thrawn acts on his own discretion against the Grysk, and then must explain his actions to Palpatine after the fact. /shrug

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 6th, 2018 at 12:46 AM

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 12:04 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mendax
Hand of God

Re: Thrawn: Treason - Coming Summer 2019

Sounds great. I'll have to read the second book very soon.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 12:33 PM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beelzebub

Ah, Thrawn. The only good material New Canon has produced.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 05:06 PM
Click here to Send Beelzebub a Private Message Find more posts by Beelzebub Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

A Trench film would be better.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 05:32 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Beelzebub
Ah, Thrawn. The only good material New Canon has produced.
Not the *only* good material, imo, but certainly the best so far. thumb up

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 06:13 PM
TheIndyJedi

"Its treason then"

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 06:24 PM
Click here to Send TheIndyJedi a Private Message Find more posts by TheIndyJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beelzebub

Not the *only* good material, imo, but certainly the best so far. thumb up

Lost Stars and Rogue One: Catalyst MIGHT qualify as good if I'm being generous but more likely they fall under decent.

Rogue one, the movie, and the Vader comics probably qualifies as "good."

*Shrug*

Let's just say that Thrawn is the only material produced by Disney thus far that I'd label as "unambiguously good."

Last edited by Beelzebub on Dec 6th, 2018 at 06:49 PM

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 06:34 PM
Click here to Send Beelzebub a Private Message Find more posts by Beelzebub Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I really enjoyed Lost Stars.

Im massively behind on the canon books. Intend to catch up on Bloodlines and Thrawn.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 07:12 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Beelzebub
Lost Stars and Rogue One: Catalyst MIGHT qualify as good if I'm being generous but more likely they fall under decent.

Rogue one, the movie, and the Vader comics probably qualifies as "good."

*Shrug*

Let's just say that Thrawn is the only material produced by Disney thus far that I'd label as "unambiguously good."
I would agree that the Thrawn novels are above all other canon material, in terms of overall quality/enjoyability... That's Zahn for you.

Suffice to say, I have very high hopes for Treason. I do wonder, though, if Zahn is going to stop here(now that his 'neo-Thrawn Trilogy' will be concluded), or if he will continue writing Thrawn in the future, given that his fate is still up in the air..?

As far as I'm concerned, Zahn is the only person who should be handling Thrawn at this point. All things considered, Filoni portrayed him quite well in Rebels(Lars Mikkelsen is the most perfect VA I could've ever hoped for), but Zahn just takes his characterization to an entirely different level.

Originally posted by Darth Thor
I really enjoyed Lost Stars.

Im massively behind on the canon books. Intend to catch up on Bloodlines and Thrawn.
I'd read the two Thrawn novels before anything else. They really are great.

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 6th, 2018 at 07:21 PM

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 07:19 PM
Darth Thor

I'd read the two Thrawn novels before anything else. They really are great.

thumb up

Wait... Theres two already? Or are you including the new one?

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 11:44 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beelzebub

thumb up

There's two already.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 11:46 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

thumb up

There are currently two Thrawn-based novels that have been published in new canon: Thrawn and Thrawn: Alliances.

Treason will be the third.

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 7th, 2018 at 12:29 AM

Old Post Dec 7th, 2018 12:25 AM
Darth Thor

Alrite cool. Will start with both of them.

How is Bloodlines?

Old Post Dec 7th, 2018 12:51 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Alrite cool. Will start with both of them.

How is Bloodlines?
I didn't care much for Bloodline, tbh, but that could be because I really don't give a rat's ass about Leia trying to make her way in the New Republic. /shrug

Old Post Dec 8th, 2018 02:26 PM