KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Brightburn

Brightburn
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 4 5 [6]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro
Just saw this. It got a lot of mileage out of its premise but frankly didn't have the balls to go far enough. Making Brandon's space ship responsible for his descent into murder robbed Brandon of any real agency and as such hamstrung what could have been much more interesting themes and a provided a more thought-provoking deconstruction of the Superman mythos and the superhero genre. I'd have preferred the film ask questions like are people born in equilibrium with each other, or are they forced into it by being placed in a relatively even playing field? What happens when a child is possessed of power to make him utterly above consequence? Essentially, a lot of more interesting shit could have been done with the Superman archetype than just making his space ship infect his mind, and though one could argue that there are hints that it just exacerbated issues that were already present in Brandon's alien psyche, or that the ship and Brandon's alien nature is an effective subversion of the Superman assumption that that Jor-El's influence upon Superman is a positive one and that he was flung to be the last beacon of hope from a dying world to inspire another (where instead Brandon was sent to be a brood parasite), for the first I'd still argue that the presence of the clearly mind-altering ship cheapens it by once again putting Brandon's agency into question, and for the second while true I guess that isn't nearly as compelling as the possibilities I've outline IMO.

Still, I enjoyed the movie, I liked how they emphasized how horrifying the wrong type of person with a Superman powerset would be (his speed in particular being played for horror), I liked that Brandon's victims didn't turn out to all be bullying scumbags and were mostly decent people, I liked how brutal some of the deaths turned out to be, and I quite liked the sequel hook. I just think the movie could have been a lot better.

I'm glad it was made, and hope to see more superhero genre films that go outside of the formula set by the MCU. Probably a 7/10.

Having it touch on the 'are people born evil or made' aspect would have been better, but maybe too cerebral for a film like this, especially in the allotted time. I think it was only around 90mins

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 27th, 2019 07:16 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Robtard
Having it touch on the 'are people born evil or made' aspect would have been better, but maybe too cerebral for a film like this, especially in the allotted time. I think it was only around 90mins

Yeah, it's about 90 minutes. Pretty short, glad it didn't drag out for 2 hours or something. That would have been way too much because it did feel very surface level and therefore not even all that scary or "horrorific."

Old Post Aug 27th, 2019 07:23 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Oliver Brown
Restricted

Account Restricted

Full of gore, crazy deaths, and jump scares! Brightburn is absolutely brilliant. And that ending... a must watch for horror fans!

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2019 12:31 PM
Oliver Brown is currently offline Click here to Send Oliver Brown a Private Message Find more posts by Oliver Brown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Originally posted by Robtard

I don't think so. They already hinted at it with his interactions with the girl and being pissed that his parents lied to him. If they just stuck with that path, it would have been a better, more thoughtful movie. It honestly feels like they wrote 2 drafts: One where he gradually becomes evil based on bad interactions and one where the spacecraft made him evil, and they kept elements of the former draft in there despite the latter being the direction they ultimately went.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2019 08:07 PM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote