KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » People lying about Rape: How common is it really?

People lying about Rape: How common is it really?
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SquallX

It ain’t rape if you have a party hat on.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2018 10:32 AM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Impediment
I prefer the term “struggle snuggle”.

Woah now, struggling is bad! This is the advice every lady needs to hear:

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by Surtur on Dec 31st, 2018 at 11:13 AM

Old Post Dec 31st, 2018 11:10 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Originally posted by Surtur
You know what I would love to know? How many of the women in that 2-10% range were actually charged for lying about being raped?

Who wants to bet the answer isn't 100%?

Of course it would never be close to 100%, there would probably be a number of accusers who have mental health issues which would lessen any sentence they receive, if not offset it outright.

I would hope that the authorities have gotten a lot better at spotting fake accusations too, like someone would have to turn in an Oscar worthy performance to get past the cynicism one would receive from police officers. There are probably a lot of false claims that don't get past the uncapping of the pen stage that wouldn't be included in false claim stats.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Dec 31st, 2018 03:24 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

False accusations should be punished just as harshly IMO.

Of course if it's not proven either way due process should apply to both parties.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Dec 31st, 2018 06:10 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by samhain
Of course it would never be close to 100%, there would probably be a number of accusers who have mental health issues which would lessen any sentence they receive, if not offset it outright.

I would hope that the authorities have gotten a lot better at spotting fake accusations too, like someone would have to turn in an Oscar worthy performance to get past the cynicism one would receive from police officers. There are probably a lot of false claims that don't get past the uncapping of the pen stage that wouldn't be included in false claim stats.

If they're mentally ill and we don't punish them with jail time they need to be sentenced to mandatory appointments with a therapist. Also preferably some kind of probation lasting years. And then given a mandatory 5 years in jail if they repeat the behavior.

If they're not mentally ill? They need to be jailed for...however many years rapists tend to get for actually raping someone.

Last edited by Surtur on Dec 31st, 2018 at 09:23 PM

Old Post Dec 31st, 2018 09:18 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Emperordmb
False accusations should be punished just as harshly IMO.

Of course if it's not proven either way due process should apply to both parties.

I feel like this: if the standard prison sentence for rape is 10 years they should be given 10 years for lying about being raped, and nope no getting out early for good behavior. Oh AND if it's a situation where the man actually served jail time before the lie was found out? However many years he served need to be added onto the woman's sentence.

As for your comments about due process, I'd agree, but why do I feel the lefts standard of evidence when it comes to proving a woman lied would NOT be the same when it comes to proving a man committed rape?

Old Post Dec 31st, 2018 09:22 PM
Bentley
Seitei

What does left or right have to do on how the justice system treats evidence?

Isn't accusing of a false rape just slander anyways? That's already covered by the law.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 07:14 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Originally posted by Bentley

Isn't accusing of a false rape just slander anyways? That's already covered by the law.

When was the last time a woman payed the concequences of lying about rape though?

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 08:39 AM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by SquallX
When was the last time a woman payed the concequences of lying about rape though?

I don't know nor I particularly care. My point is that the justice system is equipped to deal with this kind of false accusation, whether the cases they have ruled against were receivable is not relevant to it.

If the society happens to be full of bloodhounds that will jump at any accusation to tarnish and cause harm to someone that's really not within what the justice system can control. And that's probably what get most people nervous to be honest.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 08:46 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Feminism tbh

The "progressive" left is the primary pusher of shit like the "rape culture" narrative, and the idea that "women don't lie about rape." You have prominent third wave feminists saying things like "I don't care if a few men are falsely convicted by the standard of believing women if it helps us get the rapists."

You can see this play out with the Obama administration's Title IX stuff to colleges which basically made universities something of a quasi-judicial structure for which they don't have the expertise to operate as, and to which the burden of proof for rape cases was lowered from a presumption of innocence to a preponderance of evidence.

You can also see this play out with the mattress girl saga. Basically a female student at a university accused a man at the same university of rape, she had no evidence so he wasn't arrested or expelled. She decided to carry around the mattress she was supposedly raped on as long as he wasn't expelled, and she was endorsed in this project by the staff at her university, even making it one of her graduation projects. Senator Gillibrand (a rather radical feminist in the Democratic party), even invited her as an honored guest to some feminist event thing or something and endorsed her painful and brave story or whatever... Then this male student who had basically had his life ruined took things back to court and the evidence showed that she had lied about it.

A particular part of the left wing is the part of the populace pushing this narrative with regards to rape, and thus the part of the populace from which challenges towards due process in rape cases comes from. And if only very few feminists were actually interested in reducing the burden of proof for these accusations, then they wouldn't be spreading false information about the numbers of false rape accusations. If they truly trust the legal standard by which this shit is judged, then why do they need to lie to try and claim that only 2% of rape accusations are false?

And even aside from due process:
If the society happens to be full of bloodhounds that will jump at any accusation to tarnish and cause harm to someone that's really not within what the justice system can control. And that's probably what get most people nervous to be honest.

This is no insignificant thing and in the modern day I'd say it's clearly more a certain type of left-wing activists at fault for actively pushing for this kinda shit than anyone else.

Now let me be clear.

Obviously just because a particular issue can be primarily laid at the feet of a part of one political wing doesn't mean that all those a part of that wing are in any way guilty by association.

A part of the right-wing for example is primarily at fault for the war on drugs out of some misguided moralizing paternalistic sense, and because of their arrogance the black family unit has been seriously weakened, we infringe upon the sovereignty of Latin American nations, we waste a ****ton of money, and we infringe the rights of our citizens and destroy their lives with criminal punishment for an act that shouldn't even be a crime.

I'm more than happy to accept that the blame for that problem primarily rests on the republican party, though at the same time it's obviously true that nobody is guilty of fault by association just by dint of being a right-winger. I myself oppose that bullshit, and so does virtually anyone who would be considered a right-wing libertarian.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!

Last edited by Emperordmb on Jan 2nd, 2019 at 09:05 AM

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 08:58 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

That's actually probably one of the biggest problems with political discourse right now.

Everything is so charged that as soon as one side of the political aisle is criticized, anyone on that political wing will get super defensive about it because it seems like an aspersion cast upon their own moral character, so they either stubbornly defend something that shouldn't be defended, or they pretend it is a problem equally distributed between sides, instead of being willing to accept legitimate criticism.

I'd imagine part of it has to do with a climate of fear and helplessness shared by both wings.
The left wing sees Donald Trump as their president and a government controlled by the republican party, and so they feel desperate.
And the right on the other hand sees the left-wing dominating the cultural institutions of our country ranging from our education system, to Hollywood (seriously just watch any movie awards show... it's basically a progressive anti-Trump circle jerk), to the Mainstream Media, to extreme progressive activists who hound advertisers and payment processors to try and undercut the platforms and revenue of those on the right with dissenting opinions towards the progressive orthodoxy. And naturally the right feels desperate in this regard.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 09:13 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Your reply kind of gives me insight in some of the weight that americans seem to put not into facts nor consensus but into narratives that can get pushed by people with conflicting agendas.

Yelling at Trump because he talks of fake news but then beliving eagerly rape accusations without any basis shows some cognitive dissonance.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 09:26 AM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Well there's a serious cultural divide driving the weight placed upon these narratives.

I'd say that divide sprung from two places.

First is that in the past decade the modern social justice movement became prominent in the western world. In America it's caused a unique divide for a few reasons. The first is that racial tensions in my country are ****ing weird man.

Starting with blacks, Between slavery, Jim Crow, and the destruction of the black family unit (largely I'd argue from the war on drugs... which originated with Nixon wanting to attack the black and hippie communities that opposed his reelection) has lead to some racial tension. And with that racial tension at play our police officers having guns and using them at times excessively has lead to a racial narrative on top of those tensions in regards to the police. Republicans tend to place more emphasis on enforcing the rule of law over citizens, so there is a racial avenue for attack against the Republicans there.

Additionally the United States has stricter immigration policy than most European countries, and Republicans tend to be more in favor of it and Mexicans happen to be brown, so that has become a serious racial attack avenue the democrats use against the Republicans.

So with the rise of the modern social justice movement and the continuous Democrat strategy of calling an the Republican party racist repeatedly has lead to Democrats being swayed into thinking Republicans are racist, and Republicans getting pissed at the Democrats for assuming they're racist because they disagree with them on something like immigration for example.

Then of course the LGBT issues also become a particular source of tension in America when you consider that the American populace is more religious than most European countries. This has lead to LGBT activists and progressives to have a larger group of people to set the blame for this problem against (not entirely unfairly), and there's a larger religious community in my country willing to backlash against what they perceive (not entirely unfairly) as an attack on their values when you have pushes from one side of the aisle to force a religious baker to support a gay wedding with his labor, or schools pushing a gender constructionist agenda.

So though this kind of social justice movement has been an international phenomenon, in my country our racial tensions and other circumstances such as religious values vs lgbt agenda have lead to the left-wing seeing more of an opportunity to attack the right wing through identity politics, and a right-wing more willing to take up arms against it because they feel like they are being excessively demonized.

Additionally there's also a serious divide as it relates to economics. America was founded under somewhat different political values than those underpinning Europe for example. Historic American political attitudes had a more rugged individualist value behind them where the role of government was to protect people from tyranny and violation of their rights by their fellow man, rather than viewing the government as a provider. The American constitution was a document based more on negative rights (things that could not be done to a person by other people or the state), whereas for example I've heard that the French constitution after the revolution was based more on positive rights (things that the government had an obligation to provide for people).

Even though there's always been a left-wing in the US, that difference between the US and Europe in terms of political attitude has been a consistent one with even our left wing not holding the European position let's say. It seems to me like Obama's presidency and Obamacare became a tipping point where a lot of that changed. Now it seems like the Democrats increasingly have this vision for the United States where they want our policy to be more European-esque while the Republicans seem to value the way America is in relation to Europe and see this as a crucial tipping point where once people start to rely too much on the government to provide from them it becomes impossible to cut the scope of government.

So really what you have economically that's driving this whole thing is that the populace of my country no longer has a shared vision for the direction our country should head in. The debate is no longer about a question of degree as it was before in the US or as it seems to be in Europe, but one side of the political aisle wanting to seriously shift the structure of our government as well as the fundamental assumptions and values behind the American political system and the other side taking fundamental issue with it. Whereas European Countries for example seem to be debating the degree to which nationalized healthcare and welfare should be funded for example or how much certain income brackets should be taxed, in my country we're locked in a serious contentious and heated debate as to what how our healthcare system and economy should even be structured.

So that's kinda what's caused this political divide. Seriously differing visions of what our country should look like, and some rather bitter personal attacks being opportunistically leveraged for political gain and the backlash to them.

(Though I would add that we're seeing the same thing to a certain extent with the UK due to Brexit. Which isn't a knock against the British people so much as it is the consequence of the political reality that Brexit is a very important decision and that two sides of the country have completely different visions of what they'd want their country to look like.)

And I'd say the whole narrative first thing definitely isn't helped by the state of our media.

Our media is definitely quite sensationalized, and my assumption is that it has something to do with our population size. It's easier for a news outlet to captivate the attention of a population the size of the UK's or France's, but with this large a population size I could see how our media outlets sensationalize things more to draw more attention, particularly in the era where the traditional media is being increasingly out competed by the internet.

But yeah that's kinda my expanded take on it.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 10:31 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Because, as we have seen, each side seems to have different definitions of due process.

It's not the right whining that Betsy DeVos is giving people in college accused of rape more due process.

So yep, this issue is also political. Which side calls this country a rape culture? Spoiler alert: not the right(second spoiler: we aren't even a rape culture). And I mentioned it once, but it needs repeating: it is NOT the right that is whining over college students being given more due process after being accused of rape. Let that sink in. We're talking whining over...daring to allow cross examination, and no not by the accused but by someone appointed by the accused.(So STILL not even full due process, but it's a start)

It's still being whined about. It's being called wrong. And this is not occurring across both sides, the resistance(lol) is coming from one side. So yep, it's quite important to note the politics involved.

Last edited by Surtur on Jan 2nd, 2019 at 12:31 PM

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 12:27 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

None of that is really a commentary on the justice system, though.

People are free to believe whatever they want. Companies are generally free to fire people, for no reason at all, except in narrowly defined cases (You can't fire someone for their sex. You probably "can" fire them for fear of a pending lawsuit affecting shareholder value.)

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 01:10 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Your reply kind of gives me insight in some of the weight that americans seem to put not into facts nor consensus but into narratives that can get pushed by people with conflicting agendas.

Yelling at Trump because he talks of fake news but then beliving eagerly rape accusations without any basis shows some cognitive dissonance.

That's pretty much how things work, here.

Politics are pretty dirty around these parts. People actually hire/use/form groups just to slander the opposition, while giving them plausable deniability. I believe the term is "astroturfing".

It's a disgusting, morally bankrupt tactic, but apparently works.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 01:13 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Emperordmb
Well there's a serious cultural divide driving the weight placed upon these narratives.

I'd say that divide sprung from two places.

First is that in the past decade the modern social justice movement became prominent in the western world. In America it's caused a unique divide for a few reasons. The first is that racial tensions in my country are ****ing weird man.

[QUOTE=16794748]Originally posted by Emperordmb
[B]Starting with blacks, Between slavery, Jim Crow, and the destruction of the black family unit (largely I'd argue from the war on drugs... which originated with Nixon wanting to attack the black and hippie communities that opposed his reelection) has lead to some racial tension.

It started before then. It started in the 50s. I posted about this and found some economic data to support this. In 1905, a working age black man almost had income parity with the same working age white man. In other words, a black man could get a job and make almost exactly as much as a white man, on average.

That number took a sharp dive during and after the civil rights movement. Including work force participation and single parent homes, the Civil Rights Movement destroyed both black families and their SES relative to the white population.

Robtard correctly pointed out that wonderful things resulted from this, however: better education and far more rights/protections. That's a good thing.

TL - DR: Black rights came at the cost of the black family and income parity.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 02:02 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Some women lie about being raped, some men get off being rapists by lying. SOME People are *****.
SOME women.
SOME men.
Most of both sexes neither cry false rape or commit rape and lie about it. When it's two people's words against each other in privacy, truth is hard to ascertainand and mistakes get made sometimes.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 03:33 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Putinbot1
Some women lie about being raped, some men get off being rapists by lying. SOME People are *****.
SOME women.
SOME men.
Most of both sexes neither cry false rape or commit rape and lie about it. When it's two people's words against each other in privacy, truth is hard to ascertainand and mistakes get made sometimes.

What about Blackstone's ratio? Is it better 10 men guilty of rape go free than one innocent man be imprisoned?

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 04:10 PM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Surtur
What about Blackstone's ratio? Is it better 10 men guilty of rape go free than one innocent man be imprisoned?
I think that's a ludicrous idea, the courts do the best they can in each case. Is it better a rapist who has got of raping 10 women gets off to rape again? Deal with each case as it comes on the evidence there. Mistakes will happen sometimes.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 04:16 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote