Am I the only one here that can't get into SWTOR? (Repost)
I re-downloaded it the other day, after taking a years-long Hiatus from it.
What I found out was...
1. SWTOR really doesn't like my GTX 1050-TI or my i7 processor, as it lagged a lot.
2. The combat felt flashy, but very, very boring, it didn't feel good to fight things, which is a big deal for me in games, combat is super important. Hell, ****in ESO, DCUO, and FF:XIV:ARR have way better combat, and I don't feel that strongly about either of those games in the slightest except for DCUO.
3. Lack of decent player-progression and feeling under-powered against enemies.
Why do I feel weak when fighting common Rakghouls at level 22? Why did I barely beat Darth Tarnis and random Dark Jedi by the very skin of my teeth?
Why do they portray me as some bad-ass in some cutscenes and treat me like a ***** in others? Oh yeah I'm really the galaxy's only hope when the bad guy can toss me around like I'm nothing and I have to ****in sneak up on him just to stand a chance.
4. Subscription-based game, yeah no, this MMO is not good enough to be subscription-based, whether we're talking storyline, which ruined most of it's decent characters, ruined Revan, overblew the Emperor. Am I supposed to be intimidated by Valkorion? It doesn't sound half as intimidating as Vitiate, and he looked way more disturbing before, that mask he wore when taking down the council was bad-ass. Now he's some generic white-bearded dude.
You want more game? You better pay up to get to all the extra shit, and you better keep paying every single month to keep it.
It's fair enough if you want to make us pay for it, but make it BUY to play, you clearly make enough money charging us tons of money to get the bajillion credits needed for any type of significant character customization, so just use that.
Furthermore, speaking more on Revan, what exactly the **** where they thinking when they turned him into this psycho that wanted an entire species life destroyed. He also went down like a ***** "I've fought Mandalore's and armies of the dark side. You won't stop me! -Dies-".
What. The. ****?
5. At least Character Customization is decent... Oh wait, no it's not, because to meaningfully customize your character you have to have millions of credits? WHAT'S THAT? YOU WANTED TO LOOK LIKE TULAK HORD? WELL **** YOU, EAT SHIT, GIVE US MONEY. OH WHAT? YOU WANTED A WHITE LIGHTSABER? MORE MONEYYYYYYY. You need millions of credits just for the 2 things I listed, maybe some of these changed but from what I've seen the company is greedy.
6. EA and Origin. That is all.
It's cool to play the games for the lore. But there are so many better games that have real fun action-oriented combat. A better storyline, and way better character customization while still being F2P.
I'm sorry but in a game where progression is rewarded way more then skill, if I'm decently equipped and have leveled up skills that deal tons of damage, and a small group of Rakghouls can bring down my health more then half, I think there's a problem, especially when I over-level them.
Yeah I get I might be "bad at the game", but it doesn't change the fact that I didn't have fun fighting stuff.
There's plenty of content, the story is passable of course, but they ruin so many characters we've come to know in love and made them all unlikable or stupid in some way.
Especially that stupid lightsaber, the Outlander gets some magic ****in lightsaber so he can beat Arcann.
What? WHAT THE ****? OH YEAH NO OBI-WAN YOU CAN BEAT SIDIOUS JUST GET THE MAGIC LIGHTSABER IT'S COOL.
What did it really improve? Am I expected to believe the Outlander's martial prowess became better due to some lightsaber?
I was in to SWTOR. I really liked it too. Enough to play each of the six storylines to completion at least once. I just think they shit the bed HARD with the expansion. Dumbing down the gameplay (instead of just making it accessible, they ****ed it up hard).
It wasn't fun to play anymore, nor did it really have the challenge that something like FFXIV has.
Forgot about that game. The Imperial Spy mission was pretty fun.
I dropped it mainly because Coop was broken, and I was mostly interested in a ftp coop option. Too many cutscenes were restricted to only one player, so you'd end up twiddling your thumbs while they were in a Jedi conference call or something.
Was into it for quite a long time. But that was mostly due to me being a big SW and MMO fan. Was into the lore and world but the gameplay was simply decent if you came from WoW, not all that great tho.
IMO the worst part of the game is the sidequests, and actually an area where I think of the strong story emphasis as a weakness rather than a strength, because at least in an MMO that isn't very story driven, you can kind of just quickly read through the tiny text box for the story content and then just get on with it. But with TOR, where the sidequests are ultimately just as uninteresting and uninspired as any generic MMO fetch quest, I find the extra detail and interactivity mainly just a waste of time.
Regarding the game in general, I agree with most of the posts in this thread.
For me combat is less important in an MMO than the world having a sense of place and feeling like somewhere I want to explore and lose myself in, or having a cohesive narrative, among other things, like a good community and an effective carrot on a stick. The only one of those I've played in GW2, and it's very good, but the carrot on the stick wasn't there for me and I prefer the holy trinity group dynamic.
For me, I think the best MMO out there is FFIVX. The world has deep and compelling lore, it has the best narrative of any MMO I've played, and has good carrot on a stick mechanics to keep you pushing on, and a great community. Also a very pretty presentation and pretty decent combat.
With the new expansion coming in a couple of weeks (playable Nautolans ftw) and me being on a Star Wars thing as of late, I decided to hop back in.
I'm levelling a Sith Sorcerer, and most of what I felt before about the game hasn't changed. Enjoying the story, love how the powers work, but by god is it too easy. I am NOT one of those elite players that has to have BiS equipment while doing the hardest raids in the game while hopped up on energy drinks, but at the same time... I got jumped by more mobs than one should today, and someone distracted me while I was trying to kill the crowd. I looked away for a good twenty seconds, and looked back only to see that Khem Val had more than half his health, and I had at least three-quarters of mine.