KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Robot automation will take 800 million jobs by 2030

Robot automation will take 800 million jobs by 2030
Started by: BrolyBlack

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Flyattractor

So if Al Gore is the Best they could send back that just means we never prefect a Actual Life Like Android then?

Old Post Jan 12th, 2019 09:02 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Spectre+
Restricted

Account Restricted

Prepare for the robot invasion
........wish hitler were alive.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2019 02:05 PM
The Spectre+ is currently offline Click here to Send The Spectre+ a Private Message Find more posts by The Spectre+ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Re: Robot automation will take 800 million jobs by 2030

Get a proper education and learn how to program, maintain and service mechatronics, and automated systems, or move to the third world where they still have use of people who peel eggs for a living.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2019 06:57 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Re: Re: Robot automation will take 800 million jobs by 2030

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Astner
Get a proper education and learn how to program, maintain and service mechatronics, and automated systems,

Machines will be able to do that for themselves soon enough. You are Already OBSOLETE!!!!!!

Old Post Jan 13th, 2019 07:21 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Robot automation will take 800 million jobs by 2030

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Machines will be able to do that for themselves soon enough. You are Already OBSOLETE!!!!!!
You dont understand the third world and how much cheaper humans are here than machines.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2019 07:37 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

The Entire World will be come the 3rd World and Above it all will be the MACHINE WORLD!!!!!! Which will then probably destroy us all in a final burst of Logic.

MANKIND IS DOOMED!!!

Old Post Jan 13th, 2019 07:46 PM
dadudemon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Robot automation will take 800 million jobs by 2030

Originally posted by Putinbot1
You dont understand the third world and how much cheaper humans are here than machines.

Economies of scale.

If it costs $7,400,000 to develop the software that can make food, it costs $200, annually to maintain, has a MTBF of 90 days, and makes 228 meals a day (service operation time is 5AM to midnight, every day of the year, at 5 minutes of meal prep and serve time)...

That's 20,520 meals made between each failure. And assume one day for failure (4 production-disrupting failures per year). 365.25-4 = 82,365 meals per day (this number not accidental).

If your manufacturing costs for this device are 24,000 per device (which is actually less but the R&D portion for the hardware-software combo increases the average cost per device and the End of Life and End of Service cycle for this particular device will hit a stopping point and you will repeat it with a Mark II version) and you make 1,000 of them, your hardware costs for the first year are $31,600,000.

Assuming you reach 3 sigma in quality for the device (meaning, your critical failure rate for the devices is 6.7%) per year, you will have to replace 67 devices so add an additional $1,608,000 for the first year.

Now you're looking at a first year cost of $33,208,000.

Second year costs will now be: $1,808,000 (200,000 in maintenance costs and 1,608,000 in hardware replacement costs for the critical failures).

2 year costs: $35,016,000.

That's for development, hardware, and maintenance. Doesn't include a pre-prod testing period (a pilot) or marketing, or regulatory and compliance costs.

And the cost per meal over that 2 year period is going to be:

$35,016,000./164,730,000 meals = $0.21 per meal + costs of food per meal (transportation, certification, regulatory and compliance, food cost itself from distributor, storage (cold storage and dry storage), and import taxes).

21 cents per meal doesn't sound bad but all that food will likely have to be imported and stored. Marketing can be very cheap in poorer places. If food costs can be less than a dollar (extremely unlikely), this is feasible in many places.

Also, I did not account for maintenance techs travel in that cost.

I did all that to show that I agree with you. The "economies of scale" has to be in the tens of thousands before this is feasible. That's why a place like McDonald's might be a better choice before a poor country is a good choice. McDonald's already has the acquisition, manufacturing, and storage problem solved for food. They just need the food making bots. And their bots will cost more than $100k for each device, require more maintenance, and have a higher failure rate. 3 sigma is not that great of a quality standard.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2019 08:10 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Spectre+
Restricted

Account Restricted

racist robots soon to come

Old Post Jan 13th, 2019 08:40 PM
The Spectre+ is currently offline Click here to Send The Spectre+ a Private Message Find more posts by The Spectre+ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Robot automation will take 800 million jobs by 2030

Originally posted by dadudemon
Economies of scale.

If it costs $7,400,000 to develop the software that can make food, it costs $200, annually to maintain, has a MTBF of 90 days, and makes 228 meals a day (service operation time is 5AM to midnight, every day of the year, at 5 minutes of meal prep and serve time)...

That's 20,520 meals made between each failure. And assume one day for failure (4 production-disrupting failures per year). 365.25-4 = 82,365 meals per day (this number not accidental).

If your manufacturing costs for this device are 24,000 per device (which is actually less but the R&D portion for the hardware-software combo increases the average cost per device and the End of Life and End of Service cycle for this particular device will hit a stopping point and you will repeat it with a Mark II version) and you make 1,000 of them, your hardware costs for the first year are $31,600,000.

Assuming you reach 3 sigma in quality for the device (meaning, your critical failure rate for the devices is 6.7%) per year, you will have to replace 67 devices so add an additional $1,608,000 for the first year.

Now you're looking at a first year cost of $33,208,000.

Second year costs will now be: $1,808,000 (200,000 in maintenance costs and 1,608,000 in hardware replacement costs for the critical failures).

2 year costs: $35,016,000.

That's for development, hardware, and maintenance. Doesn't include a pre-prod testing period (a pilot) or marketing, or regulatory and compliance costs.

And the cost per meal over that 2 year period is going to be:

$35,016,000./164,730,000 meals = $0.21 per meal + costs of food per meal (transportation, certification, regulatory and compliance, food cost itself from distributor, storage (cold storage and dry storage), and import taxes).

21 cents per meal doesn't sound bad but all that food will likely have to be imported and stored. Marketing can be very cheap in poorer places. If food costs can be less than a dollar (extremely unlikely), this is feasible in many places.

Also, I did not account for maintenance techs travel in that cost.

I did all that to show that I agree with you. The "economies of scale" has to be in the tens of thousands before this is feasible. That's why a place like McDonald's might be a better choice before a poor country is a good choice. McDonald's already has the acquisition, manufacturing, and storage problem solved for food. They just need the food making bots. And their bots will cost more than $100k for each device, require more maintenance, and have a higher failure rate. 3 sigma is not that great of a quality standard.
to use most African countries as an example the average wage in many is 40$ a month or 480$ a year, that's for a house chef, gate man or driver. Some it's far less.

Last edited by Putinbot1 on Jan 13th, 2019 at 08:57 PM

Old Post Jan 13th, 2019 08:53 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by The Spectre+
racist robots soon to come

This is a gem right here, and worth going my my profilelaughing out loud

Old Post Jan 13th, 2019 09:14 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

This topic made me remember something I learned awhile ago.

You know map makers for Doom? Turns out there's automated programs, that do such a good job, they beat the professionals. People have gotten awards for just running a random map generator.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg:

Watch out, devs, you're replaceable by a computer.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Last edited by cdtm on Jan 13th, 2019 at 09:29 PM

Old Post Jan 13th, 2019 09:23 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by cdtm
This topic made me remember something I learned awhile ago.

You know map makers for Doom? Turns out there's automated programs, that do such a good job, they beat the professionals. People have gotten awards for just running a random map generator.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg:

Watch out, devs, you're replaceable by a computer.

Procedurally generated levels/maps has been a thing for a long-ass time.

Deep Blue with chess was in the 90s, to put things into perspective.

We need much more automation in farming before we can work down the path of automated food production.

Hope the birth of true AI comes soon. They can make these improvements faster than we can.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2019 09:48 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by dadudemon
Procedurally generated levels/maps has been a thing for a long-ass time.

Deep Blue with chess was in the 90s, to put things into perspective.

We need much more automation in farming before we can work down the path of automated food production.

Hope the birth of true AI comes soon. They can make these improvements faster than we can.

Oh yeah, I'm way late to the party on random map generators.

That one that's been running for decades non stop, producing a map a day every day. I'd like to know how often the computers been replaced, if ever, and if it's just been sitting in a basement somewhere, long forgotten.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2019 09:56 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

3rd World Countries will simply become Resource Piles for the Machine Empires!

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 10:48 AM
cdtm

Child labor will be used to maintain the machines.

Until they, too, are replaced by machines. Child machines.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 01:33 PM
dadudemon

I laughed.

I told my coworker.

He laughed.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 01:49 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I really don't think we wanna essentially give the robots "children" and then enslave those children.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 05:22 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

laughing out loud Brilliantly funny post cdtm

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 06:06 PM
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

laughing out loud

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 06:35 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

The 6 Worst Jobs Ever (Were Done by Children)

Article is nearly 9 years old and still funny. This is back when Cracked was good.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 07:10 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote