KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Why isn't religious belief considered to be a form of mental illness?

Why isn't religious belief considered to be a form of mental illness?
Started by: Chuck_Schumer

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Putinbot1
Satan told me is probably schizophrenia.

They're both just your own inner voice.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 06:36 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
They're both just your own inner voice.
oh Definately, the issue in the 70s was are they your same inner voice. Don't know if they ever decided. Don't think it matters tbh.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 06:38 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

(please log in to view the image)

What happens when people develop a bad relationship with their inner voice, and don't get comfortable with it.

And guess what, teaching kids that there's angels and demons is not a good way to train people to be okay with their inner thoughts. I know that may be a big surprise. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 06:58 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BrolyBlack
I love when it’s Christmas time and liberals say “Jesus was an immigrant.”

It’s the only time they want to invoke his good name.

Hell I love it whenever they cite the bible for anything. It amuses me that the only time they will ever do it though is in order to try to shame others.

And you can do nothing but chuckle at people who wear p*ssy hats and scream at the sky in a rage and then try to shit on "thoughts and prayers" as being useless.

Last edited by Surtur on Jan 14th, 2019 at 07:07 PM

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 07:05 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

(please log in to view the image)

What happens when people develop a bad relationship with their inner voice, and don't get comfortable with it.

And guess what, teaching kids that there's angels and demons is not a good way to train people to be okay with their inner thoughts. I know that may be a big surprise. roll eyes (sarcastic)
very true most people not suffering a disorder don't really hear direct voices, they might mull things but it's more q and a than an order.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 07:21 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Kind of like when they cite Anything from the Athiest Bible.
"...Yeah We Got Nothing".

Good Stuff.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 08:19 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Kind of like when they cite Anything from the Athiest Bible.
"...Yeah We Got Nothing".

Good Stuff.

I do enjoy the atheists who are so hardcore into being an atheist they treat it more or less like a religion.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 08:25 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Don't encourage Fly in his strange, delusional world.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 08:26 PM
Flyattractor

Yes. IT aint always the "Religion' That Puts the KOOKOOMACHOO in the People. Lots of times it is the other way around.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 08:26 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Lol, what the hell are you talking about? Where did this "god-spot" nonsense come from?

Neuroscience and psychology.

If religion and spirituality are born from evolution, then there should be some sort of biological evidence for this. And we found it and confirmed it in many different forms and many different ways.

As an atheist, you should be happy to run into this new information as it confirms one of your positions on the hotly debated topic.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 08:47 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

If the "Science" was done by a University or Place of Higher Education...Its findings are automatically suspect.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 08:48 PM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon

If religion and spirituality are born from evolution, then there should be some sort of biological evidence for this. And we found it and confirmed it in many different forms and many different ways.

As an atheist, you should be happy to run into this new information as it confirms one of your positions on the hotly debated topic.
I'm always suspicious of anything being truly proved with consciousness, as so much in neuroscience gets revised so often, and we end up reading the statement, "was thought to be involved with x, but new studies show it is in fact a process of y etc."

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 09:00 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Religion is what you personally take out of it and religion can be a mental illness, imo; or at least feed it. Mass blanketing all religious people is silly, there's such a broad spectrum.

I was going to repost the video of Mary Colbert (from Right Wing Watch) who claimed Trump was God's chosen one (to be president) and if you go against Trump, you go against God and God will curse your children and their children for it, but shes to have taken it down.

edit: I did find a transcript - It’s not that Donald Trump is all that perfect of a guy. We all know he’s not. And we know that he’s not necessarily perfect in every way that we would like. That’s not how God works. He works through the ones he chooses. We don’t choose them. All we have to do is recognize them and when you recognize a chosen one and you have the discernment to know that they’ve been chosen and know that that’s the will of God, then your life will be blessed. And if you come against the chosen one of God, you are bringing upon you and your children and your children’s children curses like you have never seen. It puts a holy fear in me." -Mary Colbert 04/2017

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 10:22 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

It would be funny to see certain atheists get tested for this "god spot". I imagine the results would be like when nazis do DNA tests and find out they have some black in them.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 10:27 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

There was something Jordan Peterson said about a disagreement between Freud and Jung.

Freud viewed religion more as the outward pathologizing of ****ed up family dynamics more or less, something of an Oedipal complex so to speak.

Jung on the other hand viewed religion as the emergence of people seeking the transcendent and upward aim, something of an attempt of self-actualization as a heroic figure.

You could definitely find religious people who fit either of these descriptions. As a religious person myself, I hope to be more of the latter.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 10:50 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Surtur
It would be funny to see certain atheists get tested for this "god spot". I imagine the results would be like when nazis do DNA tests and find out they have some black in them.

They've done this and have results.

It's not an "all x and all y" thing.

Also, they haven't proven if one leads to the other or if you are just born that way.

It's more like, "If the brain doesn't light up under this and that, they are far more likely to be an atheist than the population average."

All they do is prove, with statistical significance, this correlation.

What is not (yet) known is if you become atheist, this area stops lighting up. Or if that area is already "dark" and you are just more "susceptible" to becoming an atheist.

The "God-Spot" is also about experiencing spirituality so some atheistic forms of Buddhism are also harder to "feel" for those same people where spirituality is necessary.

And it is not a binary feeling, either. There are probably a myriad of states of "feeling" along the way where one can experience spirituality or a transcendent connection. Also, due to neuroplasticity, who is to say that the brain would not adapt and create a new God-Spot if a person is very much trying hard to have transcendent experiences? Shrooms (psilocybin and other psychedelics) may help this. Your brain actually changes, permanently, even after one therapeutic dose of MDM. You can literally see the neurological changes on a brain scan after just a single dose. How effing fascinating is that?

Last edited by dadudemon on Jan 14th, 2019 at 11:53 PM

Old Post Jan 14th, 2019 11:50 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Sounds interesting, but this is the first I've heard of it, so I doubt it's anywhere near confirmed science.

In either case it's not needed as any sort of confirmation for atheism. The evidence of reality and just the general rationale already do that.

It's just that you almost went full-retard when you said...

"It would be more accurate to say atheists have a mental illness..."

...because in my experience reasonable atheists are the only ones at least attempting to honestly and rationally make sense of existence in this universe.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 03:50 PM
dadudemon

It's just that you almost went full-retard when you said...

...because in my experience reasonable atheists are the only ones at least attempting to honestly and rationally make sense of existence in this universe.

But you conveniently skipped the next statement which said neither descriptor is accurate. Why? I feel like you got upset after reading that, stopped reading my post immediately, and responded. sad

Also, there is no "one" god spot which is why I put it in quotes. It's a complex emotional and intellectual experience.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 04:56 PM
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

Personally, religious belief and practice is a waste of time and effort, as well as a delusional coping mechanism. I believe it has cultural value, but that's about as much credit as I'll give it. I love religious art, and I value religious stories as mythology intertwined with a bit of history. I avoid talking to religious people about religion, because it's a futile exercise of circular reasoning that will ultimately end--at the very least, awkwardly--with "Well, that's just what I believe", or "I have faith", or "I just feel it", or "You'll understand someday", or any other variation of those four.

That said, I wouldn't go as far as to call it a mental illness, like George Carlin does, as beliefs can change with new experience and information...nor would I even go out of my way to personally attack someone's beliefs.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 05:35 PM
Eternal Idol is currently offline Click here to Send Eternal Idol a Private Message Find more posts by Eternal Idol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

But you conveniently skipped the next statement which said neither descriptor is accurate. Why? I feel like you got upset after reading that, stopped reading my post immediately, and responded. sad

Also, there is no "one" god spot which is why I put it in quotes. It's a complex emotional and intellectual experience.

No, I read it. And I got what you were saying. That's why I said, "almost went full retard." Just wasn't a good way to start off is all.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 06:25 PM