KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Gillette commercial/PSA and the inevitable outrage

What is the most reasonable reaction to Gillette's new ad?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Boycott Gillette over the commercial 4 26.67%
Get the **** over it 11 73.33%
Total: 15 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gillette commercial/PSA and the inevitable outrage
Started by: Eternal Idol

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

Gillette commercial/PSA and the inevitable outrage

Saw this on the only other forum I'm still active on, and was surprised I hadn't seen it mentioned here.

Gillette recently aired long commercial which emphasized respect and responsibility rather than their products, while expressing concern over sexual harassment, bullying, toxic masculinity, and the blind eye Americans seem to turn to them because it is so culturally ingrained.

What say you, scholars and misfits of KMC? Has Gillette gone too far and deserving of the outrage and boycotts, or are people completely overreacting over what was intended as a positive message?

Gillette faces backlash and boycott over #MeToo advert

quote:
A Gillette advert which references bullying, the #MeToo movement and toxic masculinity has split opinion online.

The razor company's short film, called Believe, plays on their famous slogan "The best a man can get", replacing it with "The best men can be".

The company says it wants men to hold each other "accountable".

Some have praised the message of the advert, which aims to update the company's 30-year-old tagline, but others say Gillette is "dead" to them.

The ad has been watched more than 2 million times on YouTube in 48 hours.

It currently has 23,000 likes and 214,000 dislikes, at time of writing - and that's increasing all the time.

In it, the company asks "Is this the best a man can get?" before showing images of bullying, sexual harassment, sexist behaviour and aggressive male behaviour.

It then shows examples of more positive behaviour - such as stepping into prevent these behaviours when they happen in public.

Comments on the video are largely negative, with viewers saying they will never buy Gillette products again or that the advert was "feminist propaganda".

"In less than two minutes you managed to alienate your biggest sales group for your products. Well done," wrote one angry viewer.

Twitter users are also sharing their disappointment with Gillette's new campaign.

There have also been calls for Gillette, which is owned by Procter & Gamble, to post an apology video.

But the brand believes the new advert aligns with its slogan and says it believes in "the best in men."

"By holding each other accountable, eliminating excuses for bad behaviour, and supporting a new generation working toward their personal 'best,' we can help create positive change that will matter for years to come," says its president, Gary Coombe.

The advert was directed by Kim Gehrig from the UK-based production company Somesuch, who also directed the 2015 campaign for Sport England, This Girl Can.

Gillette has partnered with the Building A Better Man project, which seeks to reduce violent behaviour in men, and The Boys and Girls Club of America, which helps young men develop better social and communication skills. It's also donating $1m (around £778m) a year for the next three years to US charities aimed at supporting men.

'They must have known there would be backlash'

But while the response to the ad has been largely negative, as the old saying goes, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

"Their next steps are very important but it shouldn't necessarily be widespread panic yet," Rob Saunders, an account manager at UK advertising company the Media Agency Group, tells Radio 1 Newsbeat.

"Their ad is getting them good publicity and good numbers and causing a debate - which they must have known when they put out this ad.

Rob says Gillette will have anticipated a negative reaction to the advert from some people.

"This ad would have been approved by many people high up at Gillette," he adds.

"So they must have known that there may have been a backlash."

Rob believes the strong reaction is because the ad is such a shift from how Gillette was previously promoted and that has surprised people.

"It's such a change in stance for Gillette and it's happening overnight, particularly with the social commentary and that's why it's done such huge numbers."

'This conversation needs to happen'

But alongside the negative reaction to the brand's new message, there has also been widespread praise for its attempt to join the debate on what it means to be a modern man.

"We knew that joining the dialogue on 'Modern Manhood' would mean changing how we think about and portray men at every turn," adds Gary Coombe.

"Effective immediately, Gillette will review all public-facing content against a set of defined standards meant to ensure we fully reflect the ideals of Respect, Accountability and Role Modelling in the ads we run, the images we publish to social media, the words we choose, and more.

"For us, the decision to publicly assert our beliefs while celebrating men who are doing things right was an easy choice that makes a difference."

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 04:10 PM
Eternal Idol is currently offline Click here to Send Eternal Idol a Private Message Find more posts by Eternal Idol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

"triggered babymen stop shaving"

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 04:22 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bashar Teg

laughing out loud

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 04:47 PM
Eternal Idol is currently offline Click here to Send Eternal Idol a Private Message Find more posts by Eternal Idol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

must go clean shaven now...

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 04:50 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Get woke go broke. I can't blame people for not wanting to buy the products of a company that is condescending towards them.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 05:01 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by Putinbot1
must go clean shaven now...

triggered fascist babymen ruin everything. Now I can't wear a polo and you can't wear a beard.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 05:05 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Who buys Gillette? I get mine from the dollar store.

If their target is thrift shop browsing millennials and they think this strategy will make them go for that money clip, good luck to them.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 05:06 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Speaking of babies..I hear people are freaking out Trump bought some fast food for some college kids.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 05:07 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by cdtm
Who buys Gillette? I get mine from the dollar store.

If their target is thrift shop browsing millennials and they think this strategy will make them go for that money clip, good luck to them.

I buy gillete. My beard is super-thick so I can't screw around with cheapo blades. Sorry if that came off like a commercial.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 05:08 PM
snowdragon

I don't have a problem with the message they are presenting BUT it doesn't SEEM to coincide with the product they are selling.

They are probably going to lose customers because of the crazy messaging they have as it relates to their product.

I've never associated shaving with overly masculine behavior or boys that misbehave due to a masculine culture. Now when I go to the gym or compete in something, that is where I see testosterone meters pinging out.

Last edited by snowdragon on Jan 15th, 2019 at 05:13 PM

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 05:11 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

I dunno, I'd take me some Five Guys over overpriced status symbol food most days.

It's an easy thing to poke fun at, sure. Awesome story for the players: "Son, I was served Mcky'D's at the White House. Put down the phone, my 25 year old son, I am NOT going senile."

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 05:11 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why'd they fire the guy who did this ad:

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 05:12 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by cdtm
I dunno, I'd take me some Five Guys over overpriced status symbol food most days.

It's an easy thing to poke fun at, sure. Awesome story for the players: "Son, I was served Mcky'D's at the White House. Put down the phone, my 25 year old son, I am NOT going senile."

It's also an easy way to highlight Trump Derangement Syndrome lol. I legit saw one person whining saying Trump was a bigot cuz he was stereotyping college kids by assuming they all love fast food.

Can you imagine if he'd fed them ramen?

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 05:13 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

seems like you're trying super-hard to change the topic

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 05:14 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

seems like you're trying super-hard to change the topic

No I was just laughing at the side with the biggest babies on the planet calling others babies. You are free to continue your conversation bro, did you wanna wax poetic about youtubers now?

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 05:16 PM
Raptor22

If someone has a problem with this ad they're probably an *******. Id lump them in with the same people thay have a problem with the song Baby its Cold Outside. A bunch of d-bags with nothing better to do than pick a fight over nothing.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 05:23 PM
Raptor22 is currently offline Click here to Send Raptor22 a Private Message Find more posts by Raptor22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

Originally posted by Surtur
Get woke go broke. I can't blame people for not wanting to buy the products of a company that is condescending towards them.

I imagine most people getting bent out of shape over this are the same types who ***** about political correctness, safe zones, outrage for the sake of outrage, and over-sensitivity in general, while calling anyone who shows even a slight disapproval over things they're ok with "libtards", "SJWs", and "snowflakes"...yet these bunch of pussies are throwing fits online over a preachy commercial. laughing out loud

Weird of Gillette to have a minute-and-a-half PSA to advertise their shaving products, but it's a positive message, at least.

"Oh, but they're alienating men, their core consumer base!"

If you're getting offended by a commercial stressing the importance of respect and responsibility, you may have some deeper underlying issues to address.

The commercial won't influence me to buy any more or less of their products than I already do, which at this point, is down to antiperspirant and sometimes shave gel.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 05:58 PM
dadudemon

I have a difficult time trying to find something wrong with this.

This is what they taught me as a youth in our Mormon churches.

This is what we were taught in Boy Scouts when Boy Scouts was called Boy Scouts of America.

This is what I was taught in sports during my secondary education years.

The core message I took away is a great man leads his male peers to do and act morally, respectfully, and justly. A couple of the clips in their montage was of men who stopped fights and taught young men what being a man is about.

How is this toxic? This is masculine. This is manly.

You don't have to be a neckbeard to respect women. In fact, shave your neckbeard and just don't say or do the creepy things like the advert pointed out.

Why is it considered unmanly to be a moral leader to your group of male friends? You don't have to be an SJW. Just act and say like they did in the advert. Don't get preachy. Keep the response very short and sweet. Don't dwell on it.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 08:02 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by Surtur
No I was just laughing at the side with the biggest babies on the planet calling others babies. You are free to continue your conversation bro, did you wanna wax poetic about youtubers now?

So the topic makes your butt hurt and that's somehow my fault?

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 08:08 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Couldn't care less about the commercial, wouldn't make me stop buying razors from them.

Am laughing at the sensitive males crying about it though. Just how fragile is your masculinity that an add about not being a male-shitstain triggers you?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 08:14 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote