KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » The right to free speech does not give you a right to a platform

The right to free speech does not give you a right to a platform
Started by: hoangtaybaokiem

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
hoangtaybaokiem

The right to free speech does not give you a right to a platform

The title quote by Owen Jones sums it up. It's not a case of Free Speech means you have to be heard, if people don't want to listen to you why should they have to?

Rightists don't understand the majority of people with any kind of Education or brains often find their views disgusting as well as they find the views of many radicals including radical Islamists like Anjem Choudary (I might add most Muslims also find Choudary disgusting and speak out against him, it's just not reported).

Gay cures, Anjem Choudary, Tommy Robinson, none of these deserve a platform for normal people.

If the majority of students at a University find Milo disgusting why should they have to have him near them.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 02:22 AM
hoangtaybaokiem is currently offline Click here to Send hoangtaybaokiem a Private Message Find more posts by hoangtaybaokiem Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Your level of hypocrisy is amazing.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 02:28 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

OWEN JONES LOL

Does not surprise me at all to see that he's the author of a piece with this title.

I agree with you in terms of having a legal right to a platform in the private sector, but if a publicly funded university is operating under tax payer money and pulls this deplatforming shit from a pretty blatant political bias, that is a problem because that's not private industry.

Also what platforms like Patreon and twitter should have a right to do, doesn't mean them exercising that right isn't something I don't take moral issue with, even though I believe that decision is theirs to make and should be. I'm critical of their actions in a similar way that'd I'd be critical of someone being lazy, or someone spewing hateful rhetoric even though I believe they do and should have the right to do so under the law.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 06:57 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: The right to free speech does not give you a right to a platform

quote: (post)
Originally posted by hoangtaybaokiem
The title quote by Owen Jones sums it up. It's not a case of Free Speech means you have to be heard, if people don't want to listen to you why should they have to?

Rightists don't understand the majority of people with any kind of Education or brains often find their views disgusting as well as they find the views of many radicals including radical Islamists like Anjem Choudary (I might add most Muslims also find Choudary disgusting and speak out against him, it's just not reported).

Gay cures, Anjem Choudary, Tommy Robinson, none of these deserve a platform for normal people.

If the majority of students at a University find Milo disgusting why should they have to have him near them.
Jones is completely right. This post seems strangely familiar... Haha. I think it's mine from another thread maybe or I read it elsewhere.

Last edited by Putinbot1 on Jan 16th, 2019 at 07:13 AM

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 07:10 AM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

Apparently, painting a image of Trump’s decapitated head impaled by a spear in a school is free speech. erm

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 07:46 AM
victreebelvictr is currently offline Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

It is.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 08:05 AM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Emperordmb
OWEN JONES LOL

Does not surprise me at all to see that he's the author of a piece with this title.

I agree with you in terms of having a legal right to a platform in the private sector, but if a publicly funded university is operating under tax payer money and pulls this deplatforming shit from a pretty blatant political bias, that is a problem because that's not private industry.

Also what platforms like Patreon and twitter should have a right to do, doesn't mean them exercising that right isn't something I don't take moral issue with, even though I believe that decision is theirs to make and should be. I'm critical of their actions in a similar way that'd I'd be critical of someone being lazy, or someone spewing hateful rhetoric even though I believe they do and should have the right to do so under the law.

I laughed too. Imagine being such a loser you gripe over youtube videos, but then cite Owen Jones with a straight face lol.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 12:16 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

quote:
It's not a case of Free Speech means you have to be heard, if people don't want to listen to you why should they have to?

Laughable, no forces you to listen to people exercising free speech.

quote:

So you start off with free speech and end with how close someone should be allowed near others.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 12:34 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Surtur
I laughed too. Imagine being such a loser you gripe over youtube videos, but then cite Owen Jones with a straight face lol.
Haha, TI pegged you perfectly.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 12:43 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
It is.

Some may interpret that as a threat.

Which would not be protected speech.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 02:33 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Students who don't want to listen to a speaker have the right not to listen to them. They don't have a right to stop people who do though.

Deplatforming speakers is counterproductive anyway as it only brings more attention to the very soeakers they don't want people to hear.

It's as stupid as those who protest concerts by bands they think are subversive or movies they think are controversial.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 04:31 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
It is.

It may not be, depending on circumstances around it.

Violent effigies are not just close to the line, they are right on the line on what constitutes protected speech.

Here's an example of an effigy that falls on the side of the line that is protected speech:

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-n...ment/1064107848

But if there was any sign, any words, or any evidence at all that this was a call to action or a desire to hang Trump, it'd be illegal. Again, this was tested and made fairly clear under Brandenburg v. Ohio like I posted in the other thread.

I think the violent effigies would fail the protected speech test if even an utterance about "taking down Trump" was included. It's that close to the line.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 05:35 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: Re: The right to free speech does not give you a right to a platform

Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Students who don't want to listen to a speaker have the right not to listen to them. They don't have a right to stop people who do though.

Deplatforming speakers is counterproductive anyway as it only brings more attention to the very soeakers they don't want people to hear.

It's as stupid as those who protest concerts by bands they think are subversive or movies they think are controversial.

thumb up

And due to the Streisand Effect, it may be counterproductive to try and silence people they disagree with. Just makes them get more PR and be "Free Speech" martyrs.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 05:36 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Re: Re: The right to free speech does not give you a right to a platform

Makes you wonder what's behind these deplatformings.

With a public school, that's easy: It's the board pushing agenda's, often to avoid lawsuits. Administrators simply toe the line, and have no real say on what goes on in their school.

At universities, it's harder to pinpoint what's really going on. Tenured faculty could be pro-active, as could the students. Presidents have been known to enact policies for no apparent reason. The buck usually stops with a "corporate" board, made up of the Governor and a mix of elected officers and legacies, but you never really know how much they interfere in the day to day, as that's not something that's usually reported on..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 05:50 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Re: Re: Re: The right to free speech does not give you a right to a platform

Originally posted by cdtm
Makes you wonder what's behind these deplatformings.

With a public school, that's easy: It's the board pushing agenda's, often to avoid lawsuits. Administrators simply toe the line, and have no real say on what goes on in their school.

At universities, it's harder to pinpoint what's really going on. Tenured faculty could be pro-active, as could the students. Presidents have been known to enact policies for no apparent reason. The buck usually stops with a "corporate" board, made up of the Governor and a mix of elected officers and legacies, but you never really know how much they interfere in the day to day, as that's not something that's usually reported on..

It is not at all difficult to figure out what is going on. College unaffordability has led universities to a consumer-driven model. The students are now customers, and colleges go out of their way to please them in order to keep the tuition money rolling in.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 05:59 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Re: Re: Re: Re: The right to free speech does not give you a right to a platform

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
It is not at all difficult to figure out what is going on. College unaffordability has led universities to a consumer-driven model. The students are now customers, and colleges go out of their way to please them in order to keep the tuition money rolling in.

So you're saying that, despite claims to the contrary by those on the right, the Universities aren't haven's of far left ideology at all, but have instead become exactly the same sort of beast the corporations are that they hate so much?

If all universities are now, are mills designed to take kids money, as opposed to a social good that trades money for knowledge, as a leftist, it must be hell working for such an organization.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 06:06 PM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The right to free speech does not give you a right to a platform

Originally posted by cdtm
So you're saying that, despite claims to the contrary by those on the right, the Universities aren't haven's of far left ideology at all, but have instead become exactly the same sort of beast the corporations are that they hate so much?

If all universities are now, are mills designed to take kids money, as opposed to a social good that trades money for knowledge, as a leftist, it must be hell working for such an organization.
lot of good stuff here thumb up

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 09:23 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yup. I have never once seen an instance where some conservative was gonna give a speech and the university made it mandatory for students to attend.

If some conservatives very presence on campus triggers people that much they might as well just leave college and take courses online.

These shouldn't be hard lessons for people to learn. Don't like a speaker? Don't listen. Don't like a tv show? Change the channel. Don't like a product? Don't buy it.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2019 10:40 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeviantDefiance
KurkReborn

You are stating the most obvious, if the majority of students find Milo disgusting, they don’t have to listen to him. However, they cannot change the plans the university makes. Also, Marxist and atheist professors fill our public school system. Don’t you think there are some students that don’t want to listen to their bull crap. I actually agree with you, our students are forced to listen to these idiots by law. Or they will have to pay for private school which is very expensive. Another alternative is Catholic school, which no one in their right mind would want to go to. Or you can be home schooled which you would be sacrificing scholarships. People at universities have a mind of their own. But children, will believe everything they hear. The teachers have been given a stage to teach upon yet children have to listen to them soaking in all the idiocy of the leftist professor. Atheism and leftism is dominate in the public school system.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2019 01:25 AM
DeviantDefiance is currently offline Click here to Send DeviantDefiance a Private Message Find more posts by DeviantDefiance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by DeviantDefiance
You are stating the most obvious, if the majority of students find Milo disgusting, they don’t have to listen to him. However, they cannot change the plans the university makes. Also, Marxist and atheist professors fill our public school system. Don’t you think there are some students that don’t want to listen to their bull crap. I actually agree with you, our students are forced to listen to these idiots by law. Or they will have to pay for private school which is very expensive. Another alternative is Catholic school, which no one in their right mind would want to go to. Or you can be home schooled which you would be sacrificing scholarships. People at universities have a mind of their own. But children, will believe everything they hear. The teachers have been given a stage to teach upon yet children have to listen to them soaking in all the idiocy of the leftist professor. Atheism and leftism is dominate in the public school system.
Of course they can if they are a Private University, in Public Universities they can lobby the board.
Point 2, that's why teachers have the most stringent checks, no doubt some bad apples get through, when they do it makes front page news.

Professors bad... Alt right good... but not really.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2019 07:22 AM