KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Graphics are as good as they're going to get.

Graphics are as good as they're going to get.
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Graphics are as good as they're going to get.

As the title says, people are complaining about the Switch not being powerful enough, when DOOM is still one of the best-looking games ever and can play on the system, what point is there to making consoles more and more possible.

The most we can really do is make systems more HD friendly, better 4k gaming on consoles, but as far as graphics, we won't do much better for many years.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jan 21st, 2019 03:45 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

why are you do obsessed with shilling the switch

Old Post Jan 21st, 2019 03:52 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Um, graphics will continue to get better looking. Sure, the difference will be relatively minor from here on out (diminishing returns and all that), but graphics will continue to improve. Things like HDR and increased frame rate can and will make a noticeable difference.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2019 05:29 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

Breath of the wild’s graphics were pretty impeccable imo. :3

Old Post Jan 21st, 2019 06:11 AM
victreebelvictr is currently offline Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NewGuy01
why are you do obsessed with shilling the switch
Because its the best Nintendo Console ever made with the most amount of third-party support since the ****in 80's.

I just brought up Nintendo because I felt I needed to point it out.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2019 06:37 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by ares834
Um, graphics will continue to get better looking. Sure, the difference will be relatively minor from here on out (diminishing returns and all that), but graphics will continue to improve. Things like HDR and increased frame rate can and will make a noticeable difference.

Will they? I haven't noticed any real games from last year that were better then Battlefield 3 and Crysis 3 from years and years prior.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2019 06:39 AM
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Re: Graphics are as good as they're going to get.

Originally posted by Jmanghan
As the title says, people are complaining about the Switch not being powerful enough, when DOOM is still one of the best-looking games ever and can play on the system, what point is there to making consoles more and more possible.

The most we can really do is make systems more HD friendly, better 4k gaming on consoles, but as far as graphics, we won't do much better for many years.

I like Graphics but to me art style is better than just hyper 8K ultra realistic graphics.
If graphics were really that important to some people, they would not game on consoles.
Also Game-play>Graphics.

Last edited by Inhuman on Jan 21st, 2019 at 06:52 AM

Old Post Jan 21st, 2019 06:49 AM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Will they? I haven't noticed any real games from last year that were better then Battlefield 3 and Crysis 3 from years and years prior.

That's because you do not have developers pushing the boundaries on what they can accomplish.

Crysis was way ahead of its time when it was released. It was ****ing gorgeous but it played like shit frame rate wise (it was doing around 20 FPS with SLI).

Now....devs make games for every game and console. And the industry is better for that.

But textures, lighting and special effects are what makes games ****ing gorgeous and incredible immersive.

Play RDR2 on the Xbox One X and then compare it previous Rockstar games...its not even close.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 12:04 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Smasandian
That's because you do not have developers pushing the boundaries on what they can accomplish.

Crysis was way ahead of its time when it was released. It was ****ing gorgeous but it played like shit frame rate wise (it was doing around 20 FPS with SLI).

Now....devs make games for every game and console. And the industry is better for that.

But textures, lighting and special effects are what makes games ****ing gorgeous and incredible immersive.

Play RDR2 on the Xbox One X and then compare it previous Rockstar games...its not even close.

Absolutely. Just compare Borderlands 2 to Fallout 4.

Borderlands is SO.MUCH.BETTER. smile

Like you say, lighting, textures, and effects.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 01:13 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Smasandian

But textures, lighting and special effects are what makes games ****ing gorgeous and incredibly immersive.

I'm not talking specific games, I'm talking gaming as a whole.

I remember reading a few years back that this dev team was going to do a massive undertaking, not only were they going to make a huge triple A game, but they were going to make the game so damn good-looking that you literally would not be able to play it on consoles, there'd be no way to make the game work on Sony or Xbox consoles whatsoever. I think it fell through though.

Think about how good graphics are now, how much better can they really get? If devs went out of their way to create the most powerful engine possible, and created a hugely graphically-intensive game, in this day and age, I think it'd be almost impossible to make it "unplayable" on something like an Xbox One X, which is the first real 4K Gaming System, but if we're talking being able to be playable? Hell almost anything can fit on even something like the Switch (though no lower, lol).

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 04:41 AM
Jmanghan

Re: Re: Graphics are as good as they're going to get.

Originally posted by Inhuman
I like Graphics but to me art style is better than just hyper 8K ultra realistic graphics.
If graphics were really that important to some people, they would not game on consoles.
Also Game-play>Graphics.
I'm pretty sure everyone on earth agrees with that, but how does that have anything to do with this conversation?... This is a conversation about graphics.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 04:42 AM
cdtm

Breath of the Wild gets by on artstyle. The assets themselves are noticeably inferior to what a PS4 or Xbox One can put out.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 05:14 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by cdtm
Breath of the Wild gets by on artstyle. The assets themselves are noticeably inferior to what a PS4 or Xbox One can put out.
But DOOM, Wolfenstein 2 run great on it?

The only thing thats really downgraded in those games from a non-tech nerd point of view appears to be the High Def.

It also doesn't stop the game from looking absolutely BEAUTIFUL almost all of the time. I haven't found one ugly thing in the whole game from a graphical standpoint.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 05:18 AM
cdtm

Doom is an older game at this point. And it was designed to run on weak hardware. The graphics are probably paired back, too.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 05:22 AM
Jmanghan

Doom is an older game at this point. And it was designed to run on weak hardware. The graphics are probably paired back, too.
Uh, DOOM was one of the most graphically intensive games of 2016.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 05:27 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Yeah, Talking about the Doom reboot not the 90's one.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 05:30 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Kazenji
I remember reading somewhere that this gaming journalism website tested the most graphically intensive games of the year and DOOM Reboot came out at number 2.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 05:32 AM
cdtm

Originally posted by Kazenji

So was I. wink

It's true. Doom was designed to run on something as low end as a laptop running onboard video.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 05:33 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Define low end, Because i can't run it on this PC that i'm using.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 05:38 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

So was I. wink

It's true. Doom was designed to run on something as low end as a laptop running onboard video.
I have trouble running it on my GTX 1050 TI.

There's a difference between running on something, and running WELL on something.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 05:41 AM