KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Graphics are as good as they're going to get.

Graphics are as good as they're going to get.
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

The laptop I played it on:

Dell, 15, 4gram, intel 620 hd.

Obviously, I had to play on lowest settings. And, I used a custom res a bump above 1024x768, but still widescreen (Forget the res offhand.)

Manages around 40-30 most times.

I also tried the Vulkan drivers, didn't notice any difference. They're supposed to be hyper optimized for low spec systems.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 05:46 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
The laptop I played it on:

Dell, 15, 4gram, intel 620 hd.

Obviously, I had to play on lowest settings. And, I used a custom res a bump above 1024x768, but still widescreen (Forget the res offhand.)

Manages around 40-30 most times.

I also tried the Vulkan drivers, didn't notice any difference. They're supposed to be hyper optimized for low spec systems.

Thats what you consider being able to be played on a low-end system? Having to down your settings to the lowest and barely managing to hit 40? Thats not really what I consider to be able to be played on a low-end system.

If you were able to play on medium and were consistently in the late 40's-50's I could accept that maybe.

But you're not, you're playing on the lowest settings possible and are barely playing the game in HD, lol.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 05:50 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Originally posted by Jmanghan
I'm pretty sure everyone on earth agrees with that, but how does that have anything to do with this conversation?... This is a conversation about graphics.

Because I was making a point that art style is sometimes more important than super realistic graphics.

Originally posted by cdtm
Breath of the Wild gets by on artstyle. The assets themselves are noticeably inferior to what a PS4 or Xbox One can put out.

Breath of the Wild is a good example to this. Cdtm summarizes this pretty well.

I mean it already has gotten to a point on PC where just having the best graphics is not enough anymore. Like the Battlefield games. It used to be one of the best looking games around, with everything looking true to life. Graphics, lighting, particle effects, etc. Put Call of Duty games to shame.
Now they cant get away with just showcasing how good their games look because now the graphical differences from the new Battlefield vs the old version are very very minor. They now have to focus more on new content and the game running smooth. Graphics have taken a back seat because although the games still look amazing, they are not far off from their last game or from the competition.

So i think it has basically already gotten to the point that graphics are pretty much as good as they can get, and I think developers are learning new ways to catch your eye like unique artsyles and unique gameplay.

Last edited by Inhuman on Jan 22nd, 2019 at 06:04 AM

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 05:54 AM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Even in the last to current gen console transition, in some cases the graphics couldn't be facelifted much, like Strider, so their hook was from 30 fps to 60 fps.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 06:02 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

People have been saying this for 30 years.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 07:39 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I agree.

The old line of "no way graphics can be any better" is silly. They have been saying that for a very long time.

And it's silly to believe unique art styles and gameplay were not prevalent 10-15 years.

Strange point....realistic graphics is a type of art style! And I could make the argument that gameplay advancements are not as unique as previous generations!

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 11:14 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Gameplay advancements are huge. Especially 3D platforming, like Sonic Adventure or MARIO 64 to modern stuff Assassins Creed series. Fighters continue to innovate console friendly "auto-combo" strings, FPS's have become much more playable then they ever were. And that's not looking at stuff Platinum Games and such did for the action genre, like Transformers Devastion, the slick arcady gameplay of Saints Row 4 (Last gen, but late into it and on modern systems) or the more recent Sunset Overdrive innovations.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2019 11:42 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Sorry? I'm confused.

How does your examples of previous generation games relate to the this "And I could make the argument that gameplay advancements are not as unique as previous generations!"

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 12:03 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

I disagree with your argument against gameplay advancements.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 12:05 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I don't really understand your examples because all those games aside from Sunset Overdrive were released on previous consoles. And how does that relate to saying this generation is probably less unique than previous generations.....

And...what innovations Sunset Overdrive have?

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 12:53 AM
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Smasandian
I don't really understand your examples because all those games aside from Sunset Overdrive were released on previous consoles. And how does that relate to saying this generation is probably less unique than previous generations.....

And...what innovations Sunset Overdrive have?
It's not revolutionary, but it definitely combines parkour systems with Jet Set Radio and skateboarding games to create a very fun over-the-top traversal system, while taking the crazy weapons from something like Saints Row IV, and putting them into a unique mutant story and adding a little punk-rock edge, putting in the melee combat system of State of Decay, you have Sunset Overdrive.

The traversal system is probably one of the funnest, sometimes you'll avoid fast-travelling solely to go across the city without doing so, in fact, thats what you'll be doing majority of the time.

It's a very unique, fun system.

I know I bring up Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen a lot but I'd have to agree previous gens have very unique ideas like that game. It made boss fights revolutionary in an Action-RPG and expanded on the Shadow of the Colossus we loved so much in that specific game.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 01:43 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Graphics will continue to improve, but as others have said, we're at the point of diminishing returns now. For instance, the PS4 and Xbox One (base hardware) were maxed out pretty quickly in terms of what developers were able to crank out of them. But when the PS5/whatever the next xbox is comes out, the graphics will look better. But it won't be as stark as previous jumps. It will mostly come via an improvement in native resolution and probably texture quality. Possibly lighting and shading too, if the next-gen consoles can make use of something like ray tracing, but that may not be the case.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 01:46 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by BackFire
Graphics will continue to improve, but as others have said, we're at the point of diminishing returns now. For instance, the PS4 and Xbox One (base hardware) were maxed out pretty quickly in terms of what developers were able to crank out of them. But when the PS5/whatever the next xbox is comes out, the graphics will look better. But it won't be as stark as previous jumps. It will mostly come via an improvement in native resolution and probably texture quality. Possibly lighting and shading too, if the next-gen consoles can make use of something like ray tracing, but that may not be the case.
If there's a PS5 Pro I have no doubt it will be at least as powerful as a 1080, if not a 1080-TI.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 01:48 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

A base PS5 will probably be about on par with that. It's supposed to utilize the upcoming AMD Navi chips which are rumored to be slightly more powerful than a 1080.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 02:46 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I think this is a combination of diminishing returns and console manufacturers not willing to take a huge loss on a console sale.

Both the 360 and PS3 were money sinks when they were initially released.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 10:18 PM
cdtm

I just think it's funny that an arcade cabinet version of a shmup is being touted as having hardware more powerful then current gen consoles.

This is a classic 2d sprite shmup that can run on a potatoe.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2019 05:43 PM