KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Oscars 2019

Oscars 2019
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
NemeBro

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
BP was straight up corny at some points
Where?

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 07:54 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by BrolyBlack
BP was straight up corny at some points

Originally posted by NemeBro
Where?

You Do realize its a Comic Book SuperHero movie...right?

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 08:40 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Of the Best Picture nominees, so far I've seen...

Black Panther - 7/10
BlacKkKlansman - 8/10
Bohemian Rhapsody - 8/10
A Star Is Born - 8/10
Vice - 9/10

Still need to see...

The Favourite
Green Book
Roma

I also want to try to watch At Eternity's Gate for Willem Dafoe's best actor nomination.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2019 04:36 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

I'm rooting for BP and ASIB. BR was also pretty good, but I had issues with it.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2019 07:57 PM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Granted I had a poor copy of it, but The Favourite was awful.

Some good wardrobes/costumes/sets etc, but a terrible movie.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2019 05:29 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by MythLord
BR was also pretty good, but I had issues with it.

What are your issues with it?

I'm just curious because I'm not a huge Queen connoisseur and am interested to hear some opinions.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2019 06:58 AM
ares834

Four awards will be presented during commerical break. Those awards are for cinematography, film editing, live action short, and makeup/hair-styling.

laughing out loud

As if presenting awards during a commercial break wasn't ridiculous enough, they chose cinematography and film editing! Two of the most essential components to films and they are presenting the awards during commercials!? The academy has shredded all their remaining credibility. What an absolute ****ing joke.

Funny how all these categories have no Disney nominations in them.

Last edited by ares834 on Feb 12th, 2019 at 04:01 AM

Old Post Feb 12th, 2019 03:56 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Yeah, cinematography and film editing is ridiculous. It's like the Grammys not airing any Rock categories. The Grammys have been a total joke for a long time, of course, but damn, film editing and cinematography. That sucks.

I watched Green Book and loved it. VICE and Green Book are my favorites for Best Picture. They're so different, though, so it's difficult to say which is better than the other. To me they're a toss up. Both really, really good.

Only one I haven't seen yet is Roma. I've tried a few times and Netflix keeps fu#king up, but I'm going to keep trying.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2019 01:56 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Think I read that they changed their mind on airing those awards during commercial break. I think they listened to the backlash.

I mean damn, the Academy is pretty epically incompetent and goofy for such a prestigious organization.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2019 04:05 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

And I watched Roma. I'll copy my thoughts I posted in the other thread...

I definitely admired it more than I liked it. It's very slow moving and takes probably the entire first act to hook you much. I think he definitely deserves Best Director, but the story reminded me of shitty feminist literature I was forced to study in high school. The male characters are scumbags and the women just have to be stronger to overcome. So yeah, given the current state of man-hating in the media it will probably win Best Picture.

I HOPE that wasn't the point of the story, but it was definitely there. But the way it's filmed is brilliant, so yeah he needs best director for it.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2019 04:07 AM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

watched Roma, utter shit.. a few scenes made no sense... a few scenes went on too long...

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Feb 17th, 2019 04:27 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
James T. Kirk
Captain

Just my opinions and guesses on 8 of the categories. My opinions may change but I'm not apologising for any of them.

Best Supporting Actor
Should Win Mahershala Ali, Green Book
Will Win Mahershala Ali, Green Book

Best Supporting Actress
Should Win Emma Stone, The Favourite
Will Win Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

Best Adapted Screenplay
Should Win BlacKkKlansman
Will Win Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Best Original Screenplay
Should Win The Favourite
Will Win First Reformed

Best Director
Should Win Spike Lee, BlacKkKlansman
Will Win Alfonso Cuarón, Roma

Best Actor
Should Win Bradley Cooper, A Star Is Born
Will Win Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody

Best Actress
Should Win Lady Gaga, A Star Is Born
Will Win Glenn Close, The Wife

Best Picture
Should Win BlacKkKlansman
Will Win Roma

Last edited by James T. Kirk on Feb 18th, 2019 at 04:34 PM

Old Post Feb 18th, 2019 04:29 PM
James T. Kirk is currently offline Click here to Send James T. Kirk a Private Message Find more posts by James T. Kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Patient_Leech

Black Panther - 7/10
BlacKkKlansman - 8/10
Bohemian Rhapsody - 8/10
A Star Is Born - 8/10
Vice - 9/10

Finishing my ratings for the Best Picture nominees...

The Favourite - 5/10
Green Book - 9/10
Roma - 6/10

So obviously my favorites are Green Book and VICE, but I think Roma will probably win unfortunately. Because men are scum, that's what's 'in' right now. I need to make my wife watch Blackkklansman, so I might actually watch that again.

At Eternity's Gate - 6-7/10 (if I'm generous)

Not a very good movie unfortunately, but it is a good performance from Willem Dafoe, so it was worth watching for that. I do hope he wins best Actor for it. There were also a couple other surprises, I didn't know Mads Mikkelsen and Oscar Isaac were in it. That was cool.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2019 02:47 PM
James T. Kirk
Captain

Finishing my ratings for the Best Picture nominees...

The Favourite - 5/10
Green Book - 9/10
Roma - 6/10

So obviously my favorites are Green Book and VICE, but I think Roma will probably win unfortunately. Because men are scum, that's what's 'in' right now. I need to make my wife watch Blackkklansman, so I might actually watch that again.

At Eternity's Gate - 6-7/10 (if I'm generous)

Not a very good movie unfortunately, but it is a good performance from Willem Dafoe, so it was worth watching for that. I do hope he wins best Actor for it. There were also a couple other surprises, I didn't know Mads Mikkelsen and Oscar Isaac were in it. That was cool.
I actually think he'd be the least deserving.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2019 03:06 PM
James T. Kirk is currently offline Click here to Send James T. Kirk a Private Message Find more posts by James T. Kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by James T. Kirk
I actually think he'd be the least deserving.

I don't necessarily disagree.. haha, but I like Willem Dafoe and he needs an Oscar.

I think his performance would have come across better if the movie was better. The movie is sucky to mediocre at best. His performance actually reminded me of Last Temptation of Christ, which is a much better movie.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2019 03:17 PM
James T. Kirk
Captain

I don't necessarily disagree.. haha, but I like Willem Dafoe and he needs an Oscar.

I think his performance would have come across better if the movie was better. The movie is sucky to mediocre at best. His performance actually reminded me of Last Temptation of Christ, which is a much better movie.
Then give him a Lifetime Achievement Award. The Best Actor Oscar should be a reward for the best performance OF THE YEAR.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2019 03:22 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I agree, but when Leonardo DiCaprio finally won I didn't think he was necessarily the most deserving that year either (2016 for The Revenant), but I think they were finally giving him what he deserved. Just sayin'.

And all the other nominees this year are in much better films, so that makes them come across better. Just sayin'.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2019 03:32 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Bottom line, BP isn't worthy of best picture and wouldn't have even been nominated if not for it's mostly black cast.

The soft bigotry of low expectations thumb up

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 01:01 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Originally posted by ares834
Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody... The academy has ****in lost it.

BP was an average super hero flick, nothing more. And Bohemian Rhapsody was downright bad.

thumb up

The fact that either of those two films have a nomination shows just how worthless these awards are, as well as what this awards show is really about. We live in a sad era where race, gender, and sexual orientation, rather than being irrelevant, are now overriding meritocracy and artistic creativity.

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 01:40 AM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Lestov16
thumb up

The fact that either of those two films have a nomination shows just how worthless these awards are, as well as what this awards show is really about. We live in a sad era where race, gender, and sexual orientation, rather than being irrelevant, are now overriding meritocracy and artistic creativity.

That's kind of why I think First Man about Neil Armstrong got snubbed on a Best Picture nomination. I bet if he had been black or gay it would have been an instant nominee. That was an excellent movie with a very unique vision and subtle use of music. I was really impressed with it much more than I was expecting to be.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 04:20 PM