KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Unpopular Gaming Opinons

Unpopular Gaming Opinons
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bentley
Seitei

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
Smash is a party game, gtfo with that competitive shit.

Smash being a party game is not an opinion though, it's a fact.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 27th, 2019 02:29 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Maybe three times the charm. This 'ought to be the mother of unpopular opinions:

Nobody really had a problem with women in gaming, and it only became an issue because someone decided to make it an issue. No one was stopping Anita Sarkeesian from making whatever she wants.

It's just when they started a "there's a problem with women in gaming culture" campaign to promote those stupid games, that people started talking about it in those terms.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2019 02:38 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Maybe three times the charm. This 'ought to be the mother of unpopular opinions:

Nobody really had a problem with women in gaming, and it only became an issue because someone decided to make it an issue. No one was stopping Anita Sarkeesian from making whatever she wants.

It's just when they started a "there's a problem with women in gaming culture" campaign to promote those stupid games, that people started talking about it in those terms.

I wouldn't say it was nobody; but instead a small minority.

Women have been heavily involved in gaming for years, both as creators and as playable characters. As many as men? No, but how is that any different from any field that predominantly attracts men. Some of the all-time classic games have had women heavily involved in them.

You can't say there's no sexism in the industry (or any industry for that matter), but it's long been a case of, if you're good enough, you're in.

That's my 2c anyway.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 27th, 2019 02:45 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I think there sexism in the gaming industry. I don't think its as prevalent as used to be but it still exists. However, I don't think its specific to game development but rather the tech industry as a whole.

I also believe there is misogyny within the gaming culture. How big is it? I'm not sure but it does exist. The whole gamer gate thing wouldn't exist if that was the case.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2019 03:06 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Smasandian
I think there sexism in the gaming industry. I don't think its as prevalent as used to be but it still exists. However, I don't think its specific to game development but rather the tech industry as a whole.

I also believe there is misogyny within the gaming culture. How big is it? I'm not sure but it does exist. The whole gamer gate thing wouldn't exist if that was the case.

Wasn't that originally about journalism ethics?

I won't say the misogyny argument was a deflection from that, but it's funny how there the focus seemed to shift away from ethics, to the point it simply wasn't part of the conversation.

Not that there NEEDS to be a conversation. I think even people in the industry would readily agree clickbait, score manipulation, and a dependance on the good will of content producers who you're supposed to be looking critically at, are parts of the "journalism" industry and have been forever.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2019 04:31 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Well...I assume you are talking about game journalism and not the industry as a whole. I'm not sure and maybe I misinterpreted gamers gate.

But I would agree that there is a problem with woman in gaming. Or at least the tech industry in general.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2019 04:45 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Unpopular opinion: Dead Space 3 wasn't that bad.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jan 27th, 2019 05:40 PM
Impediment is online now! Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I agree. I enjoyed it a lot when it came out.

After playing the second time, I was less enthralled but it was still a good game.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2019 05:56 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Capital Ships should never have "weak points", or be defeatable by a one man fighter/bomber.

Stripping down main guns is fine, but it should be left to your own capital ships to finish them off. Making them so weak any old super pilot in an experimental spacecraft could blow them up just devalues the awesomeness of capital ships.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2019 07:36 PM
Arachnid1

Originally posted by Impediment
Unpopular opinion: Dead Space 3 wasn't that bad.
A POX!

A pox on you and your lineage!

PWNT

Old Post Jan 29th, 2019 08:48 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Here's a very unpopular opinion:

A majority of reviews on sites like Metacritic are "fake", a.k.a. shills.

If over 90% of Amazon reviews are fake, what are the odds most of those user reviews are regular people? Some, maybe, but I doubt a lot.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 12:38 AM
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Here's another:

Definition of a children's game is a game that appeals to, and is played by children, right?

In this day and age, actual children's games are games like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, etc. Because those are the type of games that apeal to kids these days.
Go to any Gamestop and you'll see kids begging their mommies to buy them the new COD, Red Dead, etc.
Play those games online and what do you hear over the mics? Edgy kids screaming into the microphones.

The meme about having colorful graphics and cute characters means its a kids game doesn't really apply if the majority of "actual kids" are not the ones rushing out to play and buy these games instead of the new GTA.

That's like a new a type of Dog food hitting the market, and hardly any dogs will eat the food, and the majority of the sales come from cat owners. Cats seem to love that type of dog food brand.
Eventually can that be even called Dog food anymore?

Last edited by Inhuman on Jan 30th, 2019 at 04:56 AM

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 04:44 AM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Here's a very unpopular opinion:

A majority of reviews on sites like Metacritic are "fake", a.k.a. shills.

If over 90% of Amazon reviews are fake, what are the odds most of those user reviews are regular people? Some, maybe, but I doubt a lot.

If you mean the user reviews on Metacritic, I 100% agree. Even if they aren't fake, many are alarmist and laughably exaggerated, giving a game a 1 out of 10 for the most meager of flaws. I ignore them completely.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 05:39 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Inhuman
Here's another:

Definition of a children's game is a game that appeals to, and is played by children, right?

In this day and age, actual children's games are games like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, etc. Because those are the type of games that apeal to kids these days.
Go to any Gamestop and you'll see kids begging their mommies to buy them the new COD, Red Dead, etc.
Play those games online and what do you hear over the mics? Edgy kids screaming into the microphones.

The meme about having colorful graphics and cute characters means its a kids game doesn't really apply if the majority of "actual kids" are not the ones rushing out to play and buy these games instead of the new GTA.

That's like a new a type of Dog food hitting the market, and hardly any dogs will eat the food, and the majority of the sales come from cat owners. Cats seem to love that type of dog food brand.

That is messed up, Alot of those games aren't meant for kids....good to see parents actually giving a shit.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 08:07 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Here's another:

thumb up

It says something when older more mature people can enjoy "kiddy" Nintendo series or whathaveyou, and "more mature" series are often played by kids and mic squeakers online/offline.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 03:18 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Originally posted by -Pr-
-Dragon Age 2 is a solid 8/10 game.

Amen to this. I played 2 before Origins, and while Origins is a 10/10 top ten games played contender IMO, 2 is a worthy follow-up.

It's a Ghostbusters to Ghostbusters II situation.

FFVIII is comparative in quality (and better in some areas, obviously graphics but I also argue music) to its older brother FFVII. VII captured the zeitgeist at the time of its release, but VIII is every bit its equal except in some plot-meandering and a weaker villain. VIII suffered from coming out hot-on-the-heels of the biggest JRPG of ever.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 04:21 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Here's another:

...Er... Minecraft?

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 04:49 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I'm not sure what his definition of kids. Under 10? Between 10-14?

And this isn't something new. Kids have been wanting to grow up by consuming mature content for 20-30 years. Kids wanted to play Doom when it was released instead of "kids" games. Kids have been wanting to watch rated R movies for decades. I wanted too!

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 05:00 PM
Jmanghan

And this isn't something new. Kids have been wanting to grow up by consuming mature content for 20-30 years. Kids wanted to play Doom when it was released instead of "kids" games. Kids have been wanting to watch rated R movies for decades. I wanted too!
I remember not being allowed to Play Halo: Combat Evolved and getting jealous when I saw a family friend playing it.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 05:07 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nintendo is considered a "kiddy console", and Super Mario a "kids game".

At least, that seems to be the consensus among pc gaming elitists I've had contact with. They also call Team Fortress 2 "For casuals", for some reason.

Yes, I remember how back in the day, kids loved anime because of swears, or how Heero saying "I'll kill you" was a big deal. Although I think some of those "kids" were in college at the time..

The thing is, there's a reason kids weren't really supposed to see whatever they wanted until they were 15 or so. It messes you up.. I should know, I saw a Christmas movie where a kid has his family murdered by a guy dressed in a santa costume, then gets sent to a Catholic orphanage and puts on a santa suit, methodically hunts down nuns, and the movie ends with Mother Superior getting her head lopped off. Part of me looks back in nostalgia, and part of me kind of wish's I saw that three or four years later, because it isn't something a single digit kid can easily process.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 06:46 PM