KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Unpopular Gaming Opinons

Unpopular Gaming Opinons
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

This all depends on the maturity of the child and what they can handle.

And that depends on the parents discretion on what their kids can handle. They would know best.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 08:02 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

I bet everyone will disagree with this:

PC gamers always get the shaft. Jamestown is one example: The PS4 edition gets four new ships, new maps, more content. The fans ask devs if there's plans to bring that to PC, even as a paid dlc, and they say "No. We're completely focused on making the best PS4 experience."

Another example, is a game called Strike Suit Zero. The PC release was essentially a glorified tech demo, and the "directors cut" version was built specifically for the PS4, and later PORTED to PC. With many, many bugs as a result.

PC gamers are an afterthought.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 08:52 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Amnesia is a phenomenal game but it screwed up the horror genre near irreparably and did waaaay more damage than RE4/5 ever did. Most horror games these days are shitty low effort first person run and hide simulators (indie horror games are especially guilty of this) and I attribute this exclusively to Amnesia.

PWNT

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 09:13 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I can agree with that. I will say that some of the very good games have influences from that genre (RE7, Alien Isolation, Evil Within 1/2 and even RE2 remake) but I agree with the rest.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 09:19 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
I'm not sure what his definition of kids. Under 10? Between 10-14?

And this isn't something new. Kids have been wanting to grow up by consuming mature content for 20-30 years. Kids wanted to play Doom when it was released instead of "kids" games. Kids have been wanting to watch rated R movies for decades. I wanted too!

This was what first got me into the likes of Doom and Mortal Kombat as a kid to begin with, so it's kinda natural I guess, even though I also still liked and played Mario and other things that were more for my age.

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Amnesia is a phenomenal game but it screwed up the horror genre near irreparably and did waaaay more damage than RE4/5 ever did. Most horror games these days are shitty low effort first person run and hide simulators (indie horror games are especially guilty of this) and I attribute this exclusively to Amnesia.

thumb up

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 09:39 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by John Murdoch
Amen to this. I played 2 before Origins, and while Origins is a 10/10 top ten games played contender IMO, 2 is a worthy follow-up.

It's a Ghostbusters to Ghostbusters II situation.

FFVIII is comparative in quality (and better in some areas, obviously graphics but I also argue music) to its older brother FFVII. VII captured the zeitgeist at the time of its release, but VIII is every bit its equal except in some plot-meandering and a weaker villain. VIII suffered from coming out hot-on-the-heels of the biggest JRPG of ever.

I started a replay of the series just before Christmas, and while I stopped during Inquisition due to the sheer amount of side-quest shite, I had enjoyed playing Origins and 2 to an extent I hadn't expected, and I had originally loved Origins and liked 2 a fair amount. 2 has very strong characters, a decent plot and some damn, damn deep lore too.

I love FFVIII. I don't know if I would put it as close to VII as you, but I can't argue with anyone that likes VIII that much. It's a wonderful game, and the Draw system really never bugged me that much (it seems to be most people's biggest gripe). Plus, Triple ****ing Triad.

Originally posted by cdtm
I bet everyone will disagree with this:

PC gamers always get the shaft. Jamestown is one example: The PS4 edition gets four new ships, new maps, more content. The fans ask devs if there's plans to bring that to PC, even as a paid dlc, and they say "No. We're completely focused on making the best PS4 experience."

Another example, is a game called Strike Suit Zero. The PC release was essentially a glorified tech demo, and the "directors cut" version was built specifically for the PS4, and later PORTED to PC. With many, many bugs as a result.

PC gamers are an afterthought.

Not to mention all the substandard ports. Arkham Knight, for example.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Last edited by -Pr- on Jan 30th, 2019 at 10:11 PM

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 10:06 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

What I love about Dragon Age 2 is that they had the balls to limit the game to a city and have the story progress over 10 years.

However, the issue is that the city never really changed.....

Old Post Jan 30th, 2019 10:14 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Originally posted by Impediment
Unpopular opinion: Dead Space 3 wasn't that bad.

Having played it, I can vouch it's really not that bad.

Another unpopular opinion: Fallout 4 doesn't suck.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Jan 31st, 2019 at 06:19 AM

Old Post Jan 31st, 2019 06:10 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Of course PC gamers get shafted, otherwise consoles wouldn't be as good as a market.

They do get mods, so the point is mostly moot

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 31st, 2019 06:15 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

What is the alternative?

Old Post Jan 31st, 2019 06:20 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by NemeBro
What is the alternative?
More varied game design outside of first person running and hiding. Implement combat and more involved interactions.

IMO RE7 and Alien Isolation are two examples of horror games that do first person right. Alien Isolation, especially, handled it perfectly. Plenty of enemies and situations you could deal with differently. If you ran into a group of survivors, you could drain your own resources to kill them in a gunfight, stealth past them, or you could attract the Xeno and hightail it out of there while it slaughtered the shit out of them. Working Joe Androids were ignored by Xenos and were hard to kill, so they were more of a threat which in turn encourages stealth or running, but you could kill them if you really got in a pickle (which only happens if you run into hostile Joes). Doing so runs the risk of attracting the Xeno if you use firearms, so melee weapons are probably smarter. They are especially vulnerable to EMPs and the stun baton (depending on the model you encounter; the industrial models are immune to EMPs) if you wanted to use your crafting resources.

The Xeno itself was flat out invincibile so the only way to deal with it for most of the game was stealth. Stealthing around it was always a minigame. You could use the motion sensor to track its movement, but it can faintly hear the beeps it gives off on the sensor which in turn attracts it. This means you had to pick and choose when to use the sensor. You had options for stealthing around it like hiding, the use of flares and noisemakers to draw it away, and flashbangs. You could also use find a junction box and reroute systems to turn off air filtration and make shit foggy or turn off lights so it's harder for enemies to spot you. You could use those same boxes to set off alarms or speakers in a different area and draw the Xeno (or any other enemy) away from where you want to go. Eventually, you got a flamethrower that was capable of actually scaring it off and giving you breathing room but this was just a temporary solution and ammo is insanely limited. The Xeno also the best and most unpredictable AI I've ever seen in a horror game. I've run through this game on the highest difficulty a few times and I still can't anticipate what it's going to do. It could relentlessly stalk the hell out of you for 30 minutes or it could disappear into the vents for large chunks of game time. It might randomly 180, sprint down a hallway, and accidentally run into you, or it might fuk off in search of you to a different wing. If you're hiding under a table but still in plain sight, it's going to see you so its better to hide under and behind things that break its line of sight.

Basically give more varied situations, options for dealing with those situations, and AI more complex than just chasing you around and hitting you like Outlast or one of the other 20 Amnesia clones. If you're not going to have combat, expand on the stealth. IMO Alien Isolation is the most underrated horror game of the past decade.

PWNT

Old Post Jan 31st, 2019 08:02 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

The problem with varied approach's in stealth games, is I'm horrible at stealth, but feel like I'm not doing it right if I just kill them. It's why I never got far in Thief or Dishonored.

Something like Soma forces me to think outside my comfort area.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2019 03:50 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Never was a fan or got the appeal of the Halo series.

At the time I was playing Unreal Tournament , Quake 3, Tribes 2. When Halo dropped, it was just a generic space shooter to me that copied elements like the look , and game-play from those games I mentioned and other similar game out at the time.
Played it at friends houses, and I was underwhelmed.

I guess if it was your first FPS then it would have been amazing. Kind of like the feeling I got when I first played Goldeneye on the n64.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2019 07:20 PM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Pokken Tournament is a good fighting game

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 31st, 2019 07:42 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Well Halo was really the first of it's kind on consoles. Not to mention it had one hell of a campaign.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2019 07:44 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by ares834
Well Halo was really the first of it's kind on consoles. Not to mention it had one hell of a campaign.
Halo is great but that could be my nostalgia speaking. I was a kid when I played it so I doubt I was all that hard to impress. It is kind of typical sci-fi fare and I haven't really been impressed with it since Reach, so I can understand his stance tbh

Originally posted by cdtm
The problem with varied approach's in stealth games, is I'm horrible at stealth, but feel like I'm not doing it right if I just kill them. It's why I never got far in Thief or Dishonored.

Something like Soma forces me to think outside my comfort area.
It doesn't even have to be stealth. AI is just one of the better done examples. They could also just go the RE7 or RE2 route, give you a good amount of weapons/unlockables with limited resources and add boss fights (just like older survival horror games like Silent Hill or og RE).

PWNT

Old Post Jan 31st, 2019 08:10 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Inhuman
Never was a fan or got the appeal of the Halo series.

At the time I was playing Unreal Tournament , Quake 3, Tribes 2. When Halo dropped, it was just a generic space shooter to me that copied elements like the look , and game-play from those games I mentioned and other similar game out at the time.
Played it at friends houses, and I was underwhelmed.

I guess if it was your first FPS then it would have been amazing. Kind of like the feeling I got when I first played Goldeneye on the n64.

After playing Duke Nukem 3d for years, I was like "Meh".

Hell, Goldeneye was more fun, imo.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2019 08:15 PM
ares834

Halo is great but that could be my nostalgia speaking. I was a kid when I played it so I doubt I was all that hard to impress. It is kind of typical sci-fi fare and I haven't really been impressed with it since Reach, so I can understand his stance tbh.

Sure. It (Halo: CE) certainly doesn’t hold up today , but at the time it certainly was revolutionary for consoles.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2019 09:00 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

I give CE credit where its due, but definitely dont agree with the people who put it on a pedestal. Halo 2 and onward is where its at.

Unpopular opinion, Halo 5 was a decent step-up from 4, though I hope 6 lives up to what people are wanting as a return to form.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2019 09:19 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Microtransactions and pay to win are the single greatest thing ever to happen in gaming history.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2019 09:22 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote