KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Resident Evil Village

Resident Evil Village
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

**** the demo, Stupid ****en time frame just to play it.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2021 06:04 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji
**** the demo, Stupid ****en time frame just to play it.
(please log in to view the image)

PWNT

Old Post Apr 19th, 2021 11:47 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

This is out in a day! Also, the review embargo is up in 3 hours. I can't wait! I finally managed to snag a Series X, and my RE8 collectors edition gets in Friday.

I have heard this game no longer has item boxes or ink ribbons in any difficulty though. I know they wanted to go full RE4, but I'm a bit disappointed with both of those being cut out.

PWNT

Old Post May 5th, 2021 01:20 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Meh. I never understood the ink ribbon thing and item box. Just increased backtracking.

Old Post May 5th, 2021 03:39 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by Smasandian
Meh. I never understood the ink ribbon thing and item box. Just increased backtracking.
It's resource management. Limited saves and items you can bring with you means you need to prioritize and plan better rather than just carrying around an arsenal to murder everyone with and saving every time you pick up an herb. It also ups the stakes which in turn ups the horror/stress. It's a huge part of survival horror as a genre.

The absence makes me think they're going for action horror like RE4 and Dead Space this time around, which conflicts with their claim that they consider this the best survival horror game ever made. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy action horror as a genre. I just greatly prefer survival horror.

PWNT

Old Post May 5th, 2021 04:31 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

So because RE7 made everyone wet their sissy pants, the producer says the horror had to be toned down in Village.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-was-too-scary/

quote:
“Some of the feedback we received regarding [RE7 was] that it was too scary to play,” Kanda added. “In one regard, that’s exactly what we were striving for, so it’s a huge compliment for us.

“But at the same time, it’s always our goal to create something that anybody can feel comfortable jumping in and playing, so we eased up on the tension curve [in RE Village] relative to Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, so that players aren’t in constant fear.”

Maybe Resident Evil wasn't meant for them then if they're gonna complain about horror in a horror game. Acknowledging & appealing to these casuals is already a strike against the game for me.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post May 6th, 2021 02:16 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

I saw that. RE2 and RE7 are the most successful releases the series has ever had. I'm so tired of them backtracking to their 'mass appeal needs nerfed horror' mindset. Thankfully, this game is rated better than RE3 so far but not as high as RE2 and RE7. Hopefully that's enough for them to take the hint with future entries.

(please log in to view the image)

PWNT

Old Post May 6th, 2021 03:29 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Well I think it's pretty obvious also that RE8 is heavily inspired by RE4, which is more action heavy than the previous games and less scary than the traditional sense. While RE7 felt more inspired by RE1. So the difference in tone makes sense here.

Old Post May 6th, 2021 07:32 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Still, going from RE3 (2020) to RE8, feels like fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I mean if there was still any doubt that they toned down Nemesis in response to complaining about Mr X in the RE2make, the posted article here puts that doubt to rest.

At least Village is better rated than RE3 though as pointed out, but an RE2 or 7 it is not. Oh well, can't always have top tier no holds barred horror releases for this series as history's shown (putting it mildly), but hopefully they can do better again next time.

Old Post May 6th, 2021 08:41 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

If RE8 is heavily influenced by RE4....then they're influenced by the most successfully Resident Evil game out there and one the most influential game in the industry.

Old Post May 6th, 2021 11:51 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

That's misleading though. If you're talking about the actual individual releases, Resident Evil 7 is the best selling entry in the Resident Evil franchise.

RE4 only over takes it once you add in re-releases and ports and such, and it had over a decade or more to amass those numbers.

RE7 put up the same numbers in barely 3 years.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 6th, 2021 at 05:08 PM

Old Post May 6th, 2021 04:54 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Hmm. I did not know that.

I also do not think RE7 is particularly survival horror-ish...its freaky for sure...but there is a ****ton of shooting in that game.

Old Post May 6th, 2021 05:19 PM
StyleTime

It's more about whether you have to manage limited resources than it is whether or not you can shoot stuff. Deciding between bringing extra ammo or bolt cutters for a chained up fence is more what the survival aspect brings.

I'm one of the few diehards that actually enjoyed both the traditional approach and the action approach(yes, even 6) though. I'm not complaining, although it would have been cool to see RE8 continue on the survival path.

I played a little of RE8 before going to bed. It's definitely drawing from 4 a lot, as you're rewarded for fighting with loot and such. The crafting system also eases up the load on your carrying case, as crafting items don't take up slots. You can kinda just make ammo as you need it, so you never over stuff your inventory.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 7th, 2021 at 10:28 AM

Old Post May 7th, 2021 10:16 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

The Duke makes a direct reference to the Merchant in RE4. That was pretty cool.

Old Post May 7th, 2021 09:25 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Hmm. I did not know that.

I also do not think RE7 is particularly survival horror-ish...its freaky for sure...but there is a ****ton of shooting in that game.
That thing about not having guns is a fairly new, and very stupid, trend in horror games.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post May 7th, 2021 09:59 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

New? Amnesia came out 10 years ago......jesus I'm getting old.

I don't have a problem with games that do not have guns. In some cases, it makes sense to not have weapons.

Playing Outlast 2 and I do get annoyed when I cannot attack somebody who is turned around. LIke...there is literally an axe right infront of me...just pick it up and hit him.

Anyways, started playing...and it's definitely RE4 influenced (do not want to spoil anything)...but I'm not getting a total action vibe. For sure, it seems there is lots of ammo but while I have about 1.5 hours into it...the enemies are quite brutal and tough. And the first person feel totally changes how intense a certain section is....I'm finding the first person view makes for a much more creepy vibe and the developers can do some cool things with it.

Old Post May 8th, 2021 04:30 AM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by Adam Grimes
That thing about not having guns is a fairly new, and very stupid, trend in horror games.

I'd disagree here, since a lot of old old Survival Horror games like the original Clock Tower, RE's own inspiration Sweet Home, or PS2 classics like Kuon and Haunting Grounds did not have guns. Earlier RE titles starved you for ammo, with RE2 being perhaps the real exception.

New? Amnesia came out 10 years ago......jesus I'm getting old.

I don't have a problem with games that do not have guns. In some cases, it makes sense to not have weapons.

Playing Outlast 2 and I do get annoyed when I cannot attack somebody who is turned around. LIke...there is literally an axe right infront of me...just pick it up and hit him.

Anyways, started playing...and it's definitely RE4 influenced (do not want to spoil anything)...but I'm not getting a total action vibe. For sure, it seems there is lots of ammo but while I have about 1.5 hours into it...the enemies are quite brutal and tough. And the first person feel totally changes how intense a certain section is....I'm finding the first person view makes for a much more creepy vibe and the developers can do some cool things with it.

I just binge-finished it. Posted a Steam review as well. Basically, it's got a good balance of suspense and quiet exploration, with some pretty intense and frantic action moments. Very solid survival horror game, fun to play, engaging story, and lots of variety in terms of maps and enemies.

Like RE7, very loosely connected to the lore of the main series overall, but still solid.

Old Post May 8th, 2021 04:33 PM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I'm enjoying it.....the graphics are really crisp and I enjoy how photo-realistic they are.

And the lightening effects are incredible. I have it set to Ray Tracing On....

Old Post May 8th, 2021 05:24 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by Stealth Moose

Like RE7, very loosely connected to the lore of the main series overall, but still solid.

This is really the best move they could have made with RE7 and again with RE8. The lore of the series really went off the rails after RE4 I think, and became kind of comically bad and childish - Some Kingdom Hearts levels of absurdity to the point where it began to make the games less scary because they were connected to such a silly, convoluted plot.

Treating RE7 as a soft reboot of sorts to get the upcoming games away from the main plot of the earlier games and ground the series a little again is a smart move.

Old Post May 8th, 2021 11:02 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Insane Titan

Just completed it, managed to smash it in over the weekend. I enjoyed it more than RE7 tbh. Trying to ploughthrow mercenaries at the minute .

Old Post May 8th, 2021 11:08 PM
Insane Titan is currently offline Click here to Send Insane Titan a Private Message Find more posts by Insane Titan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote