KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Resident Evil Village

Resident Evil Village
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arachnid1

I'm playing on hardcore and taking it nice and slow. I want this to last. The intro ambush battle was hard as hell though.

I'm wondering how they're gonna justify [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Chris' actions in the intro. It was pretty screwed up.

PWNT

Old Post May 8th, 2021 11:49 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Should I pick this up for my PS4 or wait until I get a PS5?

Is there a major discernible difference?

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post May 9th, 2021 02:55 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Insane Titan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I'm playing on hardcore and taking it nice and slow. I want this to last. The intro ambush battle was hard as hell though.

I'm wondering how they're gonna justify [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Chris' actions in the intro. It was pretty screwed up.
it all is explained before the end , and it all makes sense.

Old Post May 9th, 2021 09:32 AM
Insane Titan is currently offline Click here to Send Insane Titan a Private Message Find more posts by Insane Titan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Insane Titan

Originally posted by Impediment
Should I pick this up for my PS4 or wait until I get a PS5?

Is there a major discernible difference?
I played it on 5 , and to me it look a lot better.

Old Post May 9th, 2021 09:33 AM
Insane Titan is currently offline Click here to Send Insane Titan a Private Message Find more posts by Insane Titan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Like Arachnid, I am also playing on Hardcore. In their effort to appeal to a wider audience, the standard mode came out dog shit easy. You have more resources than you know what to do with, to the point it was it was ruining the experience for me. Enemies were stupid, slow, and did little damage. The blocking mechanic trivializes anything that could be threatening, especially once you cook the meals to upgrade. Most of the horror was removed because I never really felt threatened by anything.

I beat [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Lady Dimitrescu on the first attempt, and progressed a little further beyond that before just restarting my game on Hardcore. Best decision I could have made. I'm really enjoying the game now.

For folks not satisfied with Standard mode. I'd highly recommend giving Hardcore a try. I'm pretty deep into the game, having [SPOILER - highlight to read]: placed all four of Rose's body part flasks into the altar, and I'm enjoying it much more. Don't be fooled by the name-- It feels like they made the "Hardcore" difficulty the similar to what we'd expect from "Normal/Standard" . It's still a bit easier than expected, due to your resources/upgrades but the enemies are smart, aggressive, and don't fall over at the slightest touch. You still have plenty of resources, but at least the enemies can slap you silly if you screw around in Hardcore.(Blocking mostly takes care of that. It's OP.)

That said, the final confrontation during the intro level will be HELL. Just make sure to waste time in the basement near flour sack. Look up a video if you need to. It's really worth sticking it out. It's a strange difficulty spike but becomes much more rewarding for the rest of the game.

If you're enjoying Standard mode though, then just stick with that. I'm just really curious what Casual/Easy mode is like. Do the enemies just kill themselves for you?

Last edited by StyleTime on May 9th, 2021 at 06:17 PM

Old Post May 9th, 2021 06:05 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Hardcore mode is a poor man's Alien Isolation.

Working Joe's >>>>> RE Zombies.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 9th, 2021 06:08 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Also, Hot Take:

Angie/Donna's entire scenario is among the best in the series, and perhaps all of the horror genre. They deserve to be in the Horror Hall of Fame.

It was so ****ing well done. Despite my complaints, make no mistake: Resident Evil 8 has some downright brilliant moments.

I am enjoying this game and I am pretty damn happy with my purchase. Plus, RE usually gives free DLC, so you're likely getting much more with that price.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 9th, 2021 at 06:49 PM

Old Post May 9th, 2021 06:37 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Maybe when it hits Steam.

And goes on a 95% off sale.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 9th, 2021 06:55 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by cdtm
Maybe when it hits Steam.

And goes on a 95% off sale.

It's already on Steam, and has the best launch of any RE game on steam.

==

My brother has been playing this basically since it went live. Told me nothing but great things about it.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 9th, 2021 08:50 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Insane Titan

Originally posted by -Pr-
It's already on Steam, and has the best launch of any RE game on steam.

==

My brother has been playing this basically since it went live. Told me nothing but great things about it.
it is a very good game. It’s just CDTM doing his usually boring routine, complaining about everything.

Old Post May 9th, 2021 09:04 PM
cdtm

Plenty of good games can be had for 60 bucks.

Only reason people pay the ludicrous price of 60 dollars is because of the brand.

Old Post May 9th, 2021 09:17 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Only reason people pay the ludicrous price of 60 dollars is because of the brand.

And, you know, because of the quality of the game.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 9th, 2021 09:27 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

And, you know, because of the quality of the game.

No game is worth 60 bucks.

To me.

Anymore.

Dragon Ball Fighter Z at 25 is overpriced, imo. I have buyers remorse on that one.

Glad I spent 40 bucks new on Transformers Devastation, I absolutely would not except for the Transformers brand.

And I totlaly regret spending 60 on Day of Reckoning 2. A good game, could have waited and had it cheap.

People claim game prices haven't gone up much since the 1980's, I say that only proves how big of a ripoff 60-70 dollars really is.

Old Post May 9th, 2021 09:56 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

No game is worth 60 bucks.

To me.

Anymore.

Dragon Ball Fighter Z at 25 is overpriced, imo. I have buyers remorse on that one.

Glad I spent 40 bucks new on Transformers Devastation, I absolutely would not except for the Transformers brand.

And I totlaly regret spending 60 on Day of Reckoning 2. A good game, could have waited and had it cheap.

People claim game prices haven't gone up much since the 1980's, I say that only proves how big of a ripoff 60-70 dollars really is.

And that's fine. Games are worth what they worth to each of us.

But to me, I have no problem paying 60 for a game that has sufficient quality and content to keep me engaged.

In the last year alone I can name at least two that I personally would never have had any issue paying that for, and I am not a wealthy man.

It's largely relative unless we're talking about games that get hacked to bits to sell a season pass/dlc, but still want you to pay full-price for the thing.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 9th, 2021 10:34 PM
StyleTime

I'm someone who rarely pays 60 bucks for a game too. And I'm absolutely happy with the 60 I spent on RE8. It's pretty good.

I just wish they'd have given us a heads up about the difficulty modes. It seems much of the community is also switching to Hardcore on their first playthrough, from what I'm reading online. The intro on Hardcore is really rough, but the rest of the playthrough is much more fair while feeling more Resident Evil-y.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 9th, 2021 at 11:40 PM

Old Post May 9th, 2021 11:26 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by BackFire
This is really the best move they could have made with RE7 and again with RE8. The lore of the series really went off the rails after RE4 I think, and became kind of comically bad and childish - Some Kingdom Hearts levels of absurdity to the point where it began to make the games less scary because they were connected to such a silly, convoluted plot.

Treating RE7 as a soft reboot of sorts to get the upcoming games away from the main plot of the earlier games and ground the series a little again is a smart move.

I'm not sure I agree. There's a lot invested in characters for over 20 years for me, and the story has always been wild with bio weapons, conspiracies and so on. 7 put me off because I wasn't enticed by the rednecks in the swamp, Go Tell Aunt Rhodie spam, and Ethan BlankFace as a protagonist. Then Chris Redfield got reinvented into a jobber with no chin and is working for BLOO UMBRELLARZ and I thought "have the writers even ****ing played the series before?"

Originally posted by StyleTime
Also, Hot Take:

Angie/Donna's entire scenario is among the best in the series, and perhaps all of the horror genre. They deserve to be in the Horror Hall of Fame.

It was so ****ing well done. Despite my complaints, make no mistake: Resident Evil 8 has some downright brilliant moments.

I am enjoying this game and I am pretty damn happy with my purchase. Plus, RE usually gives free DLC, so you're likely getting much more with that price.

Donna's scenario is probably some of the best horror done in the series.

I mean, the cost of making games and the workload has only increased in the last few decades, but the standard launch price is the same. As in, games went from back in the NES days where a few guys programming for maybe a month or two, to entire studios being used for computer rendering, voice acting, writing, mocap, distributing and marketing, the guy who programs it so you can see your character's dick in Conan, etc.

60 dollars means a lot less now than it did in the late 80s/early 90s and back then we got less for our sacrifice. If it was a skilled trade or provider of produce or some such, and their manhour workload increased, cost of labor increased, etc., could you justify the same behavior?

Thrift is a virtue, but sometimes being cheap is a vice.

Last edited by Stealth Moose on May 10th, 2021 at 06:13 AM

Old Post May 10th, 2021 06:06 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Were games in the US always 60 dollars?

I mean, here in Ireland, PS1 games were 35-40, PS2 games were in the 40-50 range. PS3 were the first to be around the 60 mark, and nowadays a brand new PS4 game bought digitally is 69.99 on PSN.

Obviously I'm talking about pounds and euros compared to dollars, but the difference in value isn't that vast.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 10th, 2021 12:25 PM
cdtm

Were games in the US always 60 dollars?

I mean, here in Ireland, PS1 games were 35-40, PS2 games were in the 40-50 range. PS3 were the first to be around the 60 mark, and nowadays a brand new PS4 game bought digitally is 69.99 on PSN.

Obviously I'm talking about pounds and euros compared to dollars, but the difference in value isn't that vast.

Far as I can remember, yeah. Which is all the way back to the Intellivision and Nintendo.

Older games might be cheaper, of course, but the new stuff was always about 60-70 bucks.

Old Post May 10th, 2021 01:04 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Far as I can remember, yeah. Which is all the way back to the Intellivision and Nintendo.

Older games might be cheaper, of course, but the new stuff was always about 60-70 bucks.

That's crazy. No wonder they hate the second-hand market.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 10th, 2021 01:14 PM
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

I was born in 89. And I used to buy games at Toys'R'Us and KB Toys. Imp's breakdown is essentially the same as here going through the different generations roughly. Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo games were decently cheap but I was young enough that I never saw price. When PS1 and stuff came out, the games were usually between 30-45. PS2, XBOX, Nintendo 64 games were about 50 bucks for a brand new, Triple A title. And then in the PS3/360 era things were standard around 60 bucks with the Gamecube games being slightly cheaper. New games at the most have been around 64.19 in most game stores like GameStop and Best Buy for the past 2 generations. And now it's like 59.99 if you buy online off the system like PS Plus or XBOX Live.

Old Post May 10th, 2021 01:42 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote