KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Resident Evil Village

Resident Evil Village
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

If my avatar & sig I've had for over a decade here didn't give it away, I'm a huge nerd for RE3 and was excited that if they could do RE2make justice, nothing could go wrong for 3 as long as the same amount of effort's put in but guess that was too much to ask for the team Capcom hired on the sideline. Really couldn't just wait for Kazunori and Yasuhiro (the directors) to finish 2 and work on that next could they? I would've gladly waited an extra 2-3 years for it 'cause I'd be at least assured somebody who takes the fans of the originals into consideration is making it. Good for some of you who like it but it's not impossible to appeal to both the old & new generations and keeping most of the OG material intact and RE2make is a testament to that.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on May 11th, 2021 at 10:19 PM

Old Post May 11th, 2021 10:05 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I think they definitely could have done a much better job. One of the biggest problems in that game is that there's no real central location that you kind of associate with the entire game. Like RE1 has the mansion, RE2 has the police department. RE3 was just a hodgepodge of different locations and you didn't stay in any of them long enough for any of them to make much of a lasting impression. My favorite area was when you're out on the streets of racoon city. I wish they'd have made that part longer.

Old Post May 11th, 2021 11:54 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Never played RE3 when it came out so I have nothing to compare it too....but the remake is good.

Could be better for sure but I think it's solid. However, I think they game should of been half the price when released....though RE2 Remake was also short.

Old Post May 12th, 2021 04:07 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

RE2make had decent length considering the number of times the game incentivized you to play through with both Leon and Claire for 100% completion. If they had done something more along the lines of that for Jill and Carlos in the remake of 3 (the latter being one of few positives of it) in having their separate campaigns, it would have been a satisfactory product just like 2 was.

I wont say there is nothing to like about RE3 2020 with what we got, but such a halfassed remake that made worse of a game that needed improving should be held with more contempt than even 5 and 6. Low bar, but I too would sooner replay those than that incomplete game I still cant believe I paid $60 for.

Old Post May 12th, 2021 04:40 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I might differ than others but I don't think replaying the game (even with slight changes) should be considered in length.

You are right about RE3...its too short and was too much. I think I paid $20 bucks, which I think is reasonable for that length.

Old Post May 12th, 2021 11:40 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Just finished the castle area.

Yeah, so far I'm super digging this game. Really enjoying the gameplay and atmosphere. Enemy variety is also far superior to RE7 as well.

Also the Duke is awesome. Love him.

Old Post May 12th, 2021 07:11 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah. I agree, the enemy variety is significantly better than RE7.

And I'm not getting the vibe of all action at all...this plays pretty much the same as RE7.....its still slow, plodding along. It's definitely not as action oriented as RE4.

Old Post May 12th, 2021 07:57 PM
BackFire

Yeah it's mostly exploration. I guess it's more action in that in this game when a confrontation occurs you have the weapons and ammo to kill the thing instead of trying to avoid the battle, and to some that may make the game less scary since running from something is scarier than killing it, and be able to do so makes you feel stronger. But that is fine with me. Horror games can go either route and be good. RE4 expected you to largely kill your enemies and it's considered the best in the series. The dead space games you're expected to kill the creatures you encounter. The horror comes from atmosphere for the most part, and this game nails that.

Old Post May 12th, 2021 09:41 PM
StyleTime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
I might differ than others but I don't think replaying the game (even with slight changes) should be considered in length.

You are right about RE3...its too short and was too much. I think I paid $20 bucks, which I think is reasonable for that length.

I can see that somewhat.

But R2make also gave us several DLC campaigns too, which expands that length a bit. It wasn't just the switching around the A/B scenarios.

R3make gave us none of that. They put everything into that Resistance game, which didn't quite catch on.

I also got R3make on sale, which felt appropriate. Resistance was baked into the original price a little, so not playing that means you're losing value. I don't think it was the best move from them.

Sad thing is, I love RE for being willing to experiment, unlike other major titles. But they tried to re-invent the wheel here. Dead by Daylight and Identity V already showed us how proper Asymmetrical horror should be done. I wish they'd have used that blue print, but with Resident Evil characters.

I'd be down for that.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 12th, 2021 at 10:23 PM

Old Post May 12th, 2021 10:19 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Speaking of Dead by Daylight, I really hope it's not Dimitrescu's daughters who are the Killers but man that 5th Anniversary logo really does look like a sickle don't it?

https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/stat...656155941527552

People have compared it looking like the 3 in the OG RE3 title however that looks like a sickle too.

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wik...Evil_3:_Nemesis

Nemesis & Pyramid Head in the same game would be so cool.

Last edited by Nemesis X on May 12th, 2021 at 10:49 PM

Old Post May 12th, 2021 10:36 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by StyleTime
I can see that somewhat.

But R2make also gave us several DLC campaigns too, which expands that length a bit. It wasn't just the switching around the A/B scenarios.

R3make gave us none of that. They put everything into that Resistance game, which didn't quite catch on.

I also got R3make on sale, which felt appropriate. Resistance was baked into the original price a little, so not playing that means you're losing value. I don't think it was the best move from them.

Sad thing is, I love RE for being willing to experiment, unlike other major titles. But they tried to re-invent the wheel here. Dead by Daylight and Identity V already showed us how proper Asymmetrical horror should be done. I wish they'd have used that blue print, but with Resident Evil characters.

I'd be down for that.

Wait what? RE2 had DLC campaigns? This is the first I have heard about that.

Old Post May 12th, 2021 11:56 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Yeah they're like mini-What Ifs for dead characters if they weren't dead.

Pretty bad they couldn't give a single thing for RE3. A chapter for Brad would've been at least nice.

Old Post May 13th, 2021 12:02 AM
StyleTime

Campaign might be misleading. They're really like short, vignettes of a couple of dead characters.

But you throw them in with 4th Survivor, A/B reverse order, and the unlockables, and it's bit more content than R3make.

With R3make, you really had to love Resistance to maximize the bang for your buck.

Old Post May 13th, 2021 12:46 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

And on the issue of RE8 having a larger variety of enemies, I agree.

....But that is because of the increased action focus. It's not just that you are rewarded for fighting, but fights are also much more frequent too.

RE7 is different, as enemies density is very low. The creepy atmosphere is supported more from the persistent stalkers, the Bakers. The threat of running into them while being locked in this isolated area drives that. You don't actually fight often though, so there's less need for tons of different enemies.

It's not really the same in 8, although I think 8 does a really good job either way.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 13th, 2021 at 01:24 AM

Old Post May 13th, 2021 01:21 AM
BackFire

So RE8 has legit the scariest segment of any RE game that I’ve played. Don’t want to spoil it but holy shit. Loved the second area after the castle. Brilliant stuff.

Old Post May 13th, 2021 12:50 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah, I think I know what you are talking about.

Old Post May 13th, 2021 12:58 PM
StyleTime

Yeah, lots of folks are talking about it now.

I may be speaking early here, but I genuinely think it's some of the best horror ever.

Worthy of peak Silent Hill tbh.

Old Post May 14th, 2021 03:36 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

The one criticism I have is that there some really frustrating things about this game. They are minor and maybe not frustrating for others but for me...it's really annoying.

- trying to search for crystals/gems/treasures in a room that is still red.....I must of wasted at least an hour looking for something. One area had one gem on the wall that I couldn't even see while looking at it....they need to up the sparkle factor on these thing twofold. Also...it's also really frustrating when a room is Red and you spend a ton of time looking but it turns out its red because a story element needs to happen.

- at least one boss fight is ****ing annoying.....not because I'm not good but because the boss fight is insta death if you don't move in the correct way at the start of the fight. It's hard to explain without giving away anything but your in a tight corridor and the boss runs right at you. If you move back not enough...the boss angles towards you and traps and kills you...but you move back a bit further...the "scripted" event happens and allows you go behind him...but you dont know that.....

- i also don't like it when the game doesn't tell you to run.........because 90% of the areas and encounters has non-respawing enemies and the game is built for you to kill everybody to get Lei...but a couple of areas are not like that..so it's really immersion breaking when you die 5 times before realizing...oh...i need to run.

Old Post May 15th, 2021 01:51 PM
BackFire

I just completed the game.

Loved it. Probably my favorite RE game. All the areas were unique and interesting and fun, enjoyed all the boss fights for the most part. Combat and exploration was very satisfying. Game has great pacing and never really slogs or feels too long or too short. The story and mystery were interesting. Had a blast.

I do agree that searching for crystals can be tedious. But I don't really care if I miss a few here and there.

Old Post May 15th, 2021 07:41 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

I'm really loving this.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post May 15th, 2021 08:18 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote