KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movies that did it better than the source?

Movies that did it better than the source?
Started by: relentless1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Movies that did it better than the source?

Now as well all know, most films are a pale imitation to the source material; Books and comics are usually a better medium for in-depth characterizations and what not, but sometimes the films do get it much better than the book ever did... Which stories come to mind that were done better on film than in the books?

My top two are

Lord of the Rings - it stripped sooo much dead weight and streamlined the story; plus the amazing visuals make the films more memorable and give that story a higher replay value than the books ever could have

and

Watchmen - replacing that Squid with framing Doc Manhattan was a much much better ending, its always better to utilize characters rather than use some MacGuffin and Snyder really improved upon the coming book ending that was originally given to us.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2019 11:39 PM
relentless1 is currently offline Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

The Godfather. The book is decent, but the movie improved on it in every way.

Jaws. The novel flat out sucked, but the movie is a classic.

Fight Club. Good book. Better movie. Even the author thinks so.

The Mist. Stephen King himself said that the movie had a better ending than his short story.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2019 12:27 AM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Jurassic park, books good but the film is better and seeing the T-Rex for the first time is just the best

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Mar 7th, 2019 12:41 AM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Lord of the rings

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Mar 7th, 2019 12:47 AM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

most MCU films..

Christine, although i enjoyed King's novel

Jurrassic Park

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 7th, 2019 04:51 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hellboy.

All the comics are far superior to their film Satanic counterparts.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2019 04:53 AM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Re: Movies that did it better than the source?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by relentless1
Watchmen - replacing that Squid with framing Doc Manhattan was a much much better ending, its always better to utilize characters rather than use some MacGuffin and Snyder really improved upon the coming book ending that was originally given to us.

**** that. Snyder's Watchmen missed the entire point of the comic. Beyond that, using Dr. Manhattan for the ending made no sense. Dr. M is an American "asset" having him turn against humanity wouldn't unite the world anymore then if several American Nuclear bombs accidentally went off. In fact, the other nations would blame and condemn America (if not attempt to nuke America immediately after Moscow was destroyed). It would actually make everything worse.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2019 05:17 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Re: Re: Movies that did it better than the source?

Originally posted by ares834
**** that. Snyder's Watchmen missed the entire point of the comic. Beyond that, using Dr. Manhattan for the ending made no sense. Dr. M is an American "asset" having him turn against humanity wouldn't unite the world anymore then if several American Nuclear bombs accidentally went off. In fact, the other nations would blame and condemn America (if not attempt to nuke America immediately after Moscow was destroyed). It would actually make everything worse.

spewing the same rhetoric I've seen a million times without an opinion of your own on the film... also how would it make more sense to use the squid? the world would just assume that Doc could handle it, using Doc as the scapegoat world well within the story presented; the last time anyone saw him he got pissed and took off from Earth, of course all nations would believe that he came back for vengeance after that with the explanation that the ambush with Jeanine and the rest at that interview would have tipped him over the edge.

The theme of the "greater good" was explored quite well in Watchmen, most of the group finding that keeping silent about Veidts ruse a better alternative; in other words, they were cool with sacrificing some to save many, the only one who wasn't paid with his life.

Both iterations lack a true hero, both explore human reactions to extraordinary situations and both lack a black and whit morality seen in most other works of fiction. Sure, a lot of the journals and such were left out of the film but that's what had to be done in order to fit the run time AND keep the flow going for the viewing audience.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2019 08:00 AM
relentless1 is currently offline Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Re: Re: Re: Movies that did it better than the source?

spewing the same rhetoric I've seen a million times without an opinion of your own on the film... also how would it make more sense to use the squid? the world would just assume that Doc could handle it, using Doc as the scapegoat world well within the story presented; the last time anyone saw him he got pissed and took off from Earth, of course all nations would believe that he came back for vengeance after that with the explanation that the ambush with Jeanine and the rest at that interview would have tipped him over the edge.

You literally just answered your question here. Doc left. Anyway, the reason why using Doc wouldn't work was already explained. Sure, they may believe that Doc came back with a vengeance but they would place the blame on America for losing control of him (and that's assuming they don't just immediately fire their nukes after Moscow is destroyed).

The theme of the "greater good" was explored quite well in Watchmen, most of the group finding that keeping silent about Veidts ruse a better alternative; in other words, they were cool with sacrificing some to save many, the only one who wasn't paid with his life.

That's, uh, not the theme of the comic, or at least not the main one. Far more pivotal is the idea that violence and the threat of violence (and therefore by extension, superheroes) as a "peace" keeping tool is moronic. Snyder completely misses this when he glorifies the violence and the heroes.

Both iterations lack a true hero, both explore human reactions to extraordinary situations and both lack a black and whit morality seen in most other works of fiction. Sure, a lot of the journals and such were left out of the film but that's what had to be done in order to fit the run time AND keep the flow going for the viewing audience.

Does it? Certainly, the comic has a lot of grey morality and lacks a hero; but I would argue this is not the case in the film. The film's version of Rorschach is presented in a far more heroic and "badass" light then his comic counterpart. By contrast, Ozymandias is presented as sneering and effeminate rather then the very all-american and heroic facade he presents in the comic. Hell, they cut out much of his development; most notably his confession to Dr. Manhattan which is one of the most poignant and important parts of the comic.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2019 08:28 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Insane Titan

Originally posted by carthage
Lord of the rings
laughing out loud that must be because you can’t read.

Even peter Jackson said his movies wasn’t as epic as the books.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2019 09:13 AM
Insane Titan is currently offline Click here to Send Insane Titan a Private Message Find more posts by Insane Titan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Re: Re: Re: Re: Movies that did it better than the source?

Originally posted by ares834

. Hell, they cut out much of his development; most notably his confession to Dr. Manhattan which is one of the most poignant and important parts of the comic.

Was it even included in the directors cut?

Old Post Mar 7th, 2019 09:38 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Re: Movies that did it better than the source?

Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Jaws. The novel flat out sucked, but the movie is a classic.

Wow, I thought the Jaws novel was fantastic. I couldn't put it down. Obviously the movie is great, too, but I wouldn't say one is way better than the other. They're very different mediums.

Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
The Mist. Stephen King himself said that the movie had a better ending than his short story.

I wouldn't be surprised knowing some of King's writing. Darabont's film is amazing.

While I don't necessarily disagree, I was actually looking forward to seeing the Squid. Heh, but yeah, Watchmen is a good adaptation.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2019 02:53 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Eon Blue
Hellboy.

All the comics are far superior to their film Satanic counterparts.

laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 7th, 2019 02:56 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

^ Pretty edgy stance there, but that's actually the opposite of the thread topic, so nice fail. Stay on topic. thumb up

Children of Men (2006) - better than the book, The Children of Men by P.D. James.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2019 03:28 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Re: Re: Movies that did it better than the source?

Originally posted by Patient_Leech

While I don't necessarily disagree, I was actually looking forward to seeing the Squid. Heh, but yeah, Watchmen is a good adaptation.

For the love of God, never ever try explaining "the squid" to someone who saw the movie but didn't read the graphic.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2019 01:14 PM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Sin City.

An absolutely stunning and beautiful adaptation.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Mar 8th, 2019 03:39 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Impediment
Sin City.

An absolutely stunning and beautiful adaptation.
true, for me I'll pick three Stephen King adaptations, Shawshank, Green Mile and the Mist.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2019 09:47 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Old Post Mar 9th, 2019 11:37 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote