KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Past Movie Stars Vs Modern Movie Stars

Past Movie Stars Vs Modern Movie Stars
Started by: Senor Cage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Senor Cage

Past Movie Stars Vs Modern Movie Stars

Which group of actors do you prefer? Past (90's and before vs 00's and today).

1. Which group is more skilled?
2. Which group do you prefer?

90's and before:

Johnny Depp
Brad Pitt
Leonardo Dicaprio
Nicolas Cage
William H Macey
Gary Oldman
Denzel Washington
Ethan Hawke
Kevin Spacey
Kevin Bacon
Willem Defoe
Liam Neeson
Edward Norton
Sean Penn
Robert Downey Jr.
etc...

Vs

More modern:

Miles Teller
Bendeict Cumberbatch
Ryan Gosling
Christan Bale
Tom Hardy
Jake Gyllenhaal
Chris Pratt
Joseph Gordon Levitt
Chadwick Boseman
Bradley Cooper
Michael Fassbender
Hugh Jackman
Jonah Hill
James McAvoy
etc...

Last edited by Senor Cage on Mar 21st, 2019 at 04:59 AM

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 04:57 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

They’re both good in their own right. I personally prefer more actors from Group 2, but I have standout nostalgic moments from Group 1 that will never compare.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 05:27 AM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Which group is overall more skilled, though?

I also forgot to put guys like Samuel L Jackson and Bruce Willis for the past side.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 05:33 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Senor Cage

I also forgot to put guys like Samuel L Jackson and Bruce Willis for the past side.

I feel that more modern actors are more trained and skilled in versatile acting, whereas older actors are more typecast (as a general rule of thumb).

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 05:35 AM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Re: Past Movie Stars Vs Modern Movie Stars

I decided to break down your list, see what tale the numbers told.
I went with:
BFO (big fan of)
DOTR (depends on the role)
HO (he’s okay)
DCA (dont care about)
Some categories do overlap...

Johnny Depp-BFO/DOTR
Brad Pitt-DOTR
Leonardo Dicaprio-BFO/DOTR
Nicolas Cage-BFO/DOTR
William H Macey-HO
Gary Oldman-DOTR
Denzel Washington-DOTR
Ethan Hawke-DCA
Kevin Spacey-DOTR
Kevin Bacon-BFO
Willem Defoe-BFO
Liam Neeson-BFO/DOTR
Edward Norton-HO
Sean Penn-HO
Robert Downey Jr.-BFO
etc...

Miles Teller-DCA
Bendeict Cumberbatch-BFO/DOTR
Ryan Gosling-DCA
Christan Bale-DCA
Tom Hardy-DOTR
Jake Gyllenhaal-DCS
Chris Pratt-BFO
Joseph Gordon Levitt-BFO
Chadwick Boseman-DCA
Bradley Cooper-DOTR
Michael FassbenderDOTR
Hugh Jackman-BFO/DOTR
Jonah Hill-DOTR
James McAvoy-DOTR

Guess the older guys have it, in my case.
And really, i’ve been a Joseph Gordon Levitt fan since the 90s so he could switch lists.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 05:41 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

But does being more versatile mean better? Some of the 90s heavy weights include

Johnny Depp
Robert Downey jr
Gary oldman
Willem dafoe
Daniel Day Lewis

Those are the most versatile of the bunch.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 05:42 AM
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

But does being more versatile mean better? Some of the 90s heavy weights include

Johnny Depp
Robert Downey jr
Gary oldman
Willem dafoe
Daniel Day Lewis

It’s all about context in this case, in which case the newer actors completely outshine the older ones. Aside from Gary Oldman and Johnny Depp, the new clan obliterates the old.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 05:45 AM
riv6672

I cant really put my finger on something like that. Acting isnt something i can really quantify in that way. I just know what i like, and who i like to watch, sorry.

Both would be BFO/DOTR for me.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 05:45 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by riv6672
I cant really put my finger on something like that. Acting isnt something i can really quantify in that way. I just know what i like, and who i like to watch, sorry.

Both would be BFO/DOTR for me.

Concession accepted, fat faced ogre.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 05:46 AM
riv6672

Johnny Depp
Robert Downey jr
Gary oldman
Willem dafoe
Daniel Day Lewis

Again, not something i can quantify.
Some very versatile actors, i couldnt care less about the roles they take or movies theyre in.
Some actors play themselves in every movie, buti like watching them.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 05:47 AM
Senor Cage

Obliterate in skill or pure acting ability? Depp is more versatile than someone like Hardy, but I wouldn't put him above him.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 05:48 AM
Senor Cage

Re: Re: Past Movie Stars Vs Modern Movie Stars

Nice breakdown, riv. Cant quote you.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 05:49 AM
jaden_2.0
Awful

Odd lists when Christian Bale is slightly older than Di Caprio and had his break out role earlier with Empire of the Sun.

Can't say I prefer either list as a whole and like and dislike actors in both.

In the first list Oldman has done an insane range of characters, accents etc and become unrecognisable in some roles like Mason Verger in Hannibal. Compare that to his performance as Churchill or Jean Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg in The Fifth Element, Stansfield in Leon or Dracula and his range is apparent and far broader than most of the others on both lists.

Bale, while a less skilled actor probably puts the most effort into transforming his own body for roles. The ups and downs in weight between The Machinist then Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Fighter then the Dark Knight Rises. Then onto Vice...That level of transformation takes a dedication most of the other actors in both lists can only dream of.

Di Caprio knows how to pick roles that suit him perfectly and works best under equally brilliant directors which he does often. Scorsese, Tarantino, Nolan, Inarritu, Scott, Spielberg

Hardy is fast becoming a brilliant mix of the above. Talented in changing accents and voices, dedicates himself to transforming his physique drastically when the role calls for it. Bit of a mixed bag when picking scripts to suit him though. Same with Gyllenhaal and to a lesser extent, Macavoy

Some on those lists I'll never understand why they get the recognition that they do. Neeson and Denzel rarely play parts that require any change from who they are.

Bacon is underrated and a lot of his best performances were in relatively unknown films like Murder in the First.

Gosling is overrated and is basically a wooden plank although that suits its purpose in the Nicolas Winding Refn movies he's been in.

Cumberbatch is also overrated. Rarely plays anything requiring him to be anything other than himself. Eddie Redmane is far superior.

1 glaring omission from the lists Daniel Day Lewis. A case can be made that he's better than all of them.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 05:50 AM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Obliterate in skill or pure acting ability? Depp is more versatile than someone like Hardy, but I wouldn't put him above him.

Give me a general outlier to where you differentiate skill vs pure acting ability and I will answer accordingly.

As a general rule of thumb I would say Oldman and Daniel Day trumps most people on this list by sheer acting ability.

riv6672

Depp is more versatile than someone like Hardy, but I wouldn't put him above him.

See, thats what i mean. Its objective.
Its not like acting is running a race, where you can definitively say one person is faster than another.

Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Again, not something i can quantify.
Some very versatile actors, i couldnt care less about the roles they take or movies theyre in.
Some actors play themselves in every movie, buti like watching them.

More regurgitation from the king of shit posts. Get it together.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 05:52 AM
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

See, thats what i mean. Its objective.
Its not like acting is running a race, where you can definitively say one person is faster than another.

*subjective

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 05:52 AM
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Eon Blue
Give me a general outlier to where you differentiate skill vs pure acting ability and I will answer accordingly.

As a general rule of thumb I would say Oldman and Daniel Day trumps most people on this list by sheer acting ability.

Everything is pretty much subjective, so each poster here has their own criteria. For me, it's how convincing the actor is in a role. Deniro in his prime is right up there with someone like Daniel day Lewis. I feel like deniro is more versatile than DDL, but DDL is better at something like drama.

Like Riv pointed out, it's hard to gauge.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 05:58 AM
Senor Cage

Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Odd lists when Christian Bale is slightly older than Di Caprio and had his break out role earlier with Empire of the Sun.

Can't say I prefer either list as a whole and like and dislike actors in both.

In the first list Oldman has done an insane range of characters, accents etc and become unrecognisable in some roles like Mason Verger in Hannibal. Compare that to his performance as Churchill or Jean Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg in The Fifth Element, Stansfield in Leon or Dracula and his range is apparent and far broader than most of the others on both lists.

Bale, while a less skilled actor probably puts the most effort into transforming his own body for roles. The ups and downs in weight between The Machinist then Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Fighter then the Dark Knight Rises. Then onto Vice...That level of transformation takes a dedication most of the other actors in both lists can only dream of.

Di Caprio knows how to pick roles that suit him perfectly and works best under equally brilliant directors which he does often. Scorsese, Tarantino, Nolan, Inarritu, Scott, Spielberg

Hardy is fast becoming a brilliant mix of the above. Talented in changing accents and voices, dedicates himself to transforming his physique drastically when the role calls for it. Bit of a mixed bag when picking scripts to suit him though. Same with Gyllenhaal and to a lesser extent, Macavoy

Some on those lists I'll never understand why they get the recognition that they do. Neeson and Denzel rarely play parts that require any change from who they are.

Bacon is underrated and a lot of his best performances were in relatively unknown films like Murder in the First.

Gosling is overrated and is basically a wooden plank although that suits its purpose in the Nicolas Winding Refn movies he's been in.

Cumberbatch is also overrated. Rarely plays anything requiring him to be anything other than himself. Eddie Redmane is far superior.

1 glaring omission from the lists Daniel Day Lewis. A case can be made that he's better than all of them.

True. Maybe I should have placed Christian bale in the 90s and below. He was also in Dead Poet society.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 06:00 AM
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Everything is pretty much subjective, so each poster here has their own criteria. For me, it's how convincing the actor is in a role. Deniro in his prime is right up there with someone like Daniel day Lewis. I feel like deniro is more versatile than DDL, but DDL is better at something like drama.

Like Riv pointed out, it's hard to gauge.

Riv has a decent point to make, though I assure you Riv is not a good judge of acting ability, nor a good judge of character.

Let’s title this thread: Subjective Acting Opinions, then.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2019 06:06 AM